Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem setting up wireless home network

• 31-03-2006 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have two pc's at home. One computer is based in the bedroom and then i have my laptop.

I bought a linksys G Broandband 2.4ghz wireless router last week. My first problem was installing the software for the router. I keep getting the message failed to connect to the internet, please check your router and cable modem are connected correctly and try again. This was strange considering i was connected to the internet already. Once i hooked up the router with the cable modem everything seemed to be fine. Even now when i try and run the cd again it gets stuck when it asks me for a password, i put in the router password and it still comes back to that screen after checking the computer settings. The router password is correct as i can used the web interface tool fine.

So i manually configured the router by using the web interface tool. The internet comes in fine on the pc in the bedroom. My laptop also receives the connection as i have a wireless card. Internet works perfect. Download speeds max at about 600/700 kbs as i have a 6mb line. Its cheap here in the states compared to ireland.

I setup the security features to make the network secure from outside intruders. So happy enough so far.

I then decide to setup a wireless network so i can share files between the two computers. I used an application called network magic. Once installed it picked on the other computer on the network ok. The problem is i cant enable the net2go option which enables me to share files. I check the router settings in the main screen and it states that Internet ip address and firmware version are not available.

I went into the router settings and currently its set at dhcp automatic conguration.The only place where i can enter the internet ip address if if i select the static ip option. Even when i enter the internet ip address and gateway address when i click on save changes it asks for the static dns addresses.

This is my first time touching a router. Maybe im doing something arseways. Do i need to configure each pc on the home network. ATM they are all selected at automatically obtain an ip address.

I dont know why the router software wouldnt install. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Leave the setup as is (assigning dynamic ip to each machine). Then just share a folder on each machine. You can then just drag and drop files. Google for file sharing WinXP and you'll get a bunch of how to sites.

As regards router software, no need for it. If it's all set up thru web interface ur good to go. I have same router and never used CD.

Also update the firmware on your router. Will help with performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i try the file share option but it doesnt work.Im using a program called homenet manager. The sharedfiles can be seen but once i click on them they wont open. There has to be something wrong. Any ideas?

The internet works fine and homenet manager recognises both computers on the network but once i try and share a file thats when i get a problem. Its like the router doesnt think its connected to the internet.

All the physical connections are correct acording to the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Advertisement