Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long before you get vehicle licensing cert etc on 2nd hand car?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

I bought a new(er) car last week and the dealer said that they had to post off the vehicle licensing cert etc to the Dept of environment so they could adjust the records and then send the new one out to me.

The problem is I can't tax the car until I get the new documents. I have a stamped form from the dealer saying that I have just bought the car, insurance has been switched over etc. I have heard that not displaying a current tax disc is one of the 31 penalty points offnces and don't know if this is true. Especially as such a move is just revenue gathering and nothing to do with road safety. Mind you with muppets like Cullen in charge I'm not surprised.

Anyway has anyone had to wait more than a week for the cert?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If you get stop just tell thr guard that you have not recived the tax book back, or you could tax your car online if you have a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can only tax the car online if you are the registered owner and you have received the PIN number on the renewal form, It's only new cars where the PIN is the last 6 digits of the chassis.

Change of ownership should only take 10 days including postage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

i hate your knowledge, showing me up, be careful in public parking as you may get fined for having no tax.(damm wardens)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From my experience, the cert will arrive within a few days after the Dept receives it from the dealer.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It is the busiest period of the year, and it's been taking 7 working days for duplicate certs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Cheers guys,

I'll wait until next Wednesday then.

Advertisement