Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what a rip off

Options
  • 31-03-2006 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

A friend of mine is driving a 04 Audi A3 (10,000 miles) and she rang an audi main dealership to get a service as the service light has come on.Now as the brakes have been done recently and the spark plugs are still good all that needs to be done is an oil change and to change the filters.the dearleship quoted €800 :eek: i was shocked at this.iv offered to do the service for her but as it is still under warenty and she is planning on selling it soon she is concerned about not haveing a service stamp on the log book.will this make a difference to warrenty/sales price.if it will is there any way to get it stamped by a garage and not fork out for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

she must have been driving it fairly hard to have brakes already done before 10,000 miles!

Ever heard of shopping around?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Something is wrong there. Get a breakdown of the figures i.e. what parts and how much, and then how much labour.

Even from a main dealer, an oil and filter change couldn't be more than €100 surely (even that's a rip off).

Just as a yardstick - I got a full service (plugs, oil/air filter, fuel filter, oil change, p/s fluid, brake fluid), timing belt/water pump replaced and rear brakes replaced for under €800 from a main stealer. Not Audi granted, but a main stealers nonetheless. I still thought it was dear at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

colm_mcm wrote:
    she must have been driving it fairly hard to have brakes already done before 10,000 miles!

Ever heard of shopping around?
    no there was a problem with the brakes.they failed on the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Vorsprung Durch Technik

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I heard here recently that it is now obligatory for car manufacturers to keep warranty intact once the car has been serviced by a SIMI registered garage. True, anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

PauloMN wrote:
    Even from a main dealer, an oil and filter change couldn't be more than €100 surely (even that's a rip off)....

In my experience most main dealers charge between 250-400 for that kinda service. Shocking I know. The worse part is that most main dealers I've dealt with (Nissan, VW, BMW, Opel, Honda) are shockingly bad. Usually inept. The local guys are about 100-180 and usually very good.

Currently I'm chasing a nissan main dealer to do some work on a car. So far the car has been there twice, I've been on site about 4 times, and rung them about at least 10 times. They've never rung me back once. On one of the visits I left that car in to get some parts fitted, they had the car for about 5 hours before I found about (me ringing them) that didn't have the parts and would need another day to complete the work. Next day after having rung and had no response I turned up to find out they closed early on a Friday and were going to lock up and leave me stranded for the weekend. No phone call nothing. I ordered some more parts for further work and haven't heard back from them.

I won't be going back. Not that they care. I only went there because the car had full history and the previous owner thought they were good. They are not, they are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

4-age wrote:
    ...she is concerned about not haveing a service stamp on the log book.will this make a difference to warrenty/sales price.if it will is there any way to get it stamped by a garage and not fork out for it?

For me a book stamped by a main dealer means nothing. I want to see a record of work done on the car, backed up by receipts and that the owner is knowledgeable about the work done on the car. Personally if its a local garage, or a local guy, who I can ring and have a chat with thats better than a main dealer stamp.

For me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

for me receipts say more than a service stamp. The car i bought had some service stamps and then receipts for parts and local mechanics. Id trust them alot more than i would a main dealer. You'r paying thru the nose for a small stamp which means nothing anymore. I worked in car buyers guide, most people would say full bmw service hist and then when the potential buyer came to view, he'd say he left it in murphy and gunn etc. For all they know hes never had it serviced. its a farce!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

service history isnt worth much in ireland. no one is particularly interested except the fastidious private buyer and as others say receipts mean more to him than a stamped up book.

Advertisement