Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ireland Now Fully Maped

Options
  • 31-03-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Reading the independent. Navteq have now maped 95,369 KM of irish roads.:D
    So what companies use navteq maps and when will the new maps be released.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Microsoft AutoRoute uses Navteq maps....when they will be incorporated into their products is another story....they only released AR2006 before Christmas so guessing it will be in the next release

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It can take quite a while before the raw map data is processed by the various SatNav companies into their own formats. Can take from 6 months up to a year in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no more getting lost then

sort of takes some of the fun out of going places. A bit like the way that a few years ago if you wanted to know something, you read up about it, asked a few people about it, now you just use Google for instant answers to specific questions. you may get your quick answer but miss out on all the other information you inadvertantly pick up on the way - much like that, satnav will get you where you're going quicker, but you'll miss out on all the fun of finding your destination!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

colm_mcm wrote:
    no more getting lost then

sort of takes some of the fun out of going places. A bit like the way that a few years ago if you wanted to know something, you read up about it, asked a few people about it, now you just use Google for instant answers to specific questions. you may get your quick answer but miss out on all the other information you inadvertantly pick up on the way - much like that, satnav will get you where you're going quicker, but you'll miss out on all the fun of finding your destination!
    Speaking as someone who has recently moved to Ireland I have to disagree, especially when driving on your own around the Dublin area, I wouldn't be without my satnav. You can prepare all you want, but if you miss a turn, or a particular way is blocked off for some reason, you're shafted. Personally I don't find getting lost 'fun' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

AFAIK Garmin have first dibs on these maps and they will be available next week including their núvi range

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I've seen their vans in Dublin , Like a camper van with lots of cameras fixed on the outside .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

When I read the threat title this popped into my head;
    alloallo_4.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

one site that is putting the data they have to some very good use,

http://www.ie.map24.com/

very slick route flight when you plan a route, though it seems to chew on CPU time a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

CBG did an article in their April mag about the Garmin Nuvi 350....according to reports its the business and comes pre-loaded with all of europe including Ireland.

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

Time will tell how good it is. I'm definitely considering getting this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

very slick route flight when you plan a route, though it seems to chew on CPU time a bit.

That is brilliant,
    Few mistakes though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just tried this with my address and my previous address (both Dublin) and its useless.

Does anyone know how much coverage TeleAtlas have for Ireland. My Dad has a Passat with OE SatNav which uses TeleAtlas and he's thinking of buying an updated disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

CBG did an article in their April mag about the Garmin Nuvi 350....according to reports its the business and comes pre-loaded with all of europe including Ireland.

I tried a nuvi a couple of weeks ago with teh old mapping. Overall its was decent enough. It can take a LONG time to acquire sattelites though which I was srurpised at. Also on battery life, you wont get a full working day out of it, but of course you can plug it into the 12v socket in the car.

The interface is easy to use, although having to put postcades in for a lot of dublin addresses can be a real PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Reading the independent. Navteq have now maped 95,369 KM of irish roads.:D
    So what companies use navteq maps and when will the new maps be released.

Fully mapped i doubt very much - im sure the 95,369 KM has not taken into consideration all the backroads and byways of the country's vast rural areas .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dmm1000 wrote:
    Fully mapped i doubt very much - im sure the 95,369 KM has not taken into consideration all the backroads and byways of the country's vast rural areas .....

if 85% of the country is maped it would make me very happy

and if 90% of that mappage has the correct address's on the maps id be even more happy

anyone know when a new map will be released ?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

NavTeq's 100% mapping has been released to SatNav companies.

It is up to them to update their new maps.

A lot of companies update from September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Nuvi 300 comes with IRL / UK and i have seen it for 375€ online seems good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I bought a portable GPS device called Becker Traffic Assist ,it uses NAVTEQ maps and NAVIGON software.

Latest part of the M50 is not on it ,but it will keep changing to find the nearest road. All the garages have their own logo as do Hertz etc.

It even has the runways of the airport on it and all rivers ,canals and railroads.

It's due an update during the summer and hopefully that will include all new roads.

Advertisement