Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What's your favorite network and why?

• 31-03-2006 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

IMO-

O2 - Alright coverage, alright prices

Vodafone- Good coverage, over the average prices

Meteor- ok coverage, good prices

ThreeIreland- good coverage-Alright prices

Thats imo and i have a sim card for every network , but i use vodafone the most as i actually use the 3G videocalls etc.

What about yours and why?

Network? 33 votes

Meteor
    0% 0 votes
    Vodafone
    33% 11 votes
    O2
    42% 14 votes
    ThreeIreland
    24% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

im with vodafone ,i dont think there is much difference in price between any of the networks its like buying a new car or getting insurance its a cartel
    but i do get an upgrade to a new phone every 9 or 10 months with vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im afraid ill have to correct both posters above me!!! N90user, meteors coverage is good because they use the O2 network where ever they dont have coverage.

hiscan, there is some huge differences in price between the networks. Vodafone is much more expensive than meteor for example.

*edit* Your right they do use the O2 network I just got myself confused when I wrote the post!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

only ever been with vodafone so i cant really comment

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Lord diablo

meteors coverage is just as good as vodafones now because they use vodafones network

not true mate Meteor use o2 and 3 ireland use Vodafone, at the mo voda and o2 would be very similar prices (priceplans wise) however o2 would have beter phone prices. Meteor are going to blow everyone away soon with eircom after buying them over now, and they will be opening a lot of their own stores soon. Also 3 ireland are going to be opening there own stores soon (about 20 or so) so the market is going to be like uk very soon. There they have 4 major networks ( o2 voda t-mobile and orange) and they rent there amsts out to smaller companies so there is loads of choice there.

should be interesting soon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know how anyone can reach the conclusion that Meteor is cheaper than 3. 3 is about half the price of any other operator in Ireland for calls. I moved from O2 to 3 and my bill is indeed about half of what is used to be and I'm making more calls now. Coverage has not been an issue for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

N90user wrote:
    IMO-

Meteor-below average coverage, good prices

ThreeIreland- Low coverage-Alright prices

Thats imo and i have a sim card for every network , but i use vodafone the most as i actually use the 3G videocalls etc.

3 has 100% coverage for calls and texts and has wider 3g coverage than vodafone. since they're using vodaonfe's coverage wherever they don't have their own they have exactly the same if not better coverage than voda

also for bill pay, 3 is undeniably the cheapest by far. there is no "opinion" on the matter, they're just cheaper. you don't seem to know much about them since both of the statements you made about them are incorrect

600 minutes with voda: €99

600 minutes with meteor:€90

600 minutes with o2 : €85 (special active life 500 tariff where you replace the 250 texts with an extra 100 mins)

600 minutes with 3: €60
    1000 minutes with 3: €100

for bill pay the networks go in this order:
    meteor
    o2
    voda

in some ways o2 can be better than meteor for bill but o2 is just wishy washy and middle of the road. i'd be prepared to say o2 is better than meteor on bill because meteor has atrocious roaming policies and the coverage can still occasionally be an issue albeit very rarely. and lets just say their customer care are "poorly trained". o2's CS are very good

for payg they go in this order:
    meteor

o2
    voda
    if you're on payg there is no valid reason not to be on metoer unless you don't like all that heavy money weighing your pockets down

meteor payg can be cheaper than 3 but only if you call over 80% to 90% meteor numbers

hiscan wrote:
    im with vodafone ,i dont think there is much difference in price between any of the networks its like buying a new car or getting insurance its a cartel
    but i do get an upgrade to a new phone every 9 or 10 months with vodafone
    opinions like that are the reason vodafone can get away with charging what they do.

instead of 29 euro for 100 mins, switch to 3 and get 200 for 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

N90user wrote:
    IMO-

Meteor-below average coverage, good prices

ThreeIreland- Low coverage-Alright prices

you are very mistakes about 3
    they have the same 2.5G signal as vodafone and have by far the most 3G signal and for their prices well see for yourself and all the free things they offer online

meteors coverage is just as good as vodafones now because they use vodafones network

not true mate Meteor use o2 and 3 ireland use Vodafone. Meteor are going to blow everyone away soon with eircom after buying them over now, and they will be opening a lot of their own stores soon. Also 3 ireland are going to be opening there own stores soon (about 20 or so)

should be interesting soon!!!

you're right meteor uses o2's and 3 uses voda's. as far as i could see meteor only got worse when eircom took them over, on bill anyway. e.g. calls to england were included in meteor's minutes untill about a month after eircon took over

who told you 3 will be opening their own stores? they've been going for a few years in england and they still dont have their own stores

3 made a press release statement a couple of months ago saying thet they were opening 20 or so shops in ireland sometime around summer
    dont ask me for a link because i haven't got the slightest idea
    but it is true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭N90user

As i said I don't know much about Three so wel... i duno lol.

you're right meteor uses o2's and 3 uses voda's. as far as i could see meteor only got worse when eircom took them over, on bill anyway. e.g. calls to england were included in meteor's minutes untill about a month after eircon took over

I know for a fact that Meteor are opening 20 more store and i also know that 3 are are definatly opening a store on Grafton street. Also Meteor are about to be awarded the 3rd 3g licensce in ireland it was taken from smart telecom and will be going to meteor because they could prove they have a hugh expansion of there network in mind.

Also we dont know what will happen with o2 yet rmember they have been bought by telefonica and with the amount of networks all over the world and dont forget the partnership telefonica has set-up with everyone, o2 could surprise everyone with some really good roaming rates.

Vodafone seem very slow to react to anything, like o2 launched there no roaming up the north or in the uk (buisness only ) in january and vodafone only caught up with that this month!! albeit they made it better. Vodafone definatly have a much better advert campaign prob the best in ireland.

sincd when are comreg giving the 3rd 3G licence to meteor
    your bullsh***ing unless you can find a link somewere
    as comreg only took it of smart until they sorted themeselves out

sincd when are comreg giving the 3rd 3G licence to meteor
    your bullsh***ing unless you can find a link somewere
    as comreg only took it of smart until they sorted themeselves out

oh ya orignal poster you should change your orignal post and make them all good coverage

no link unfortunatly but i will attach a scanned clip of the magazine Mobile News about it which says that it will either go to Eircom or Meteor which is one in the same just Eircom if they get it may not be able to attach the 3g logo to Meteor stores.

I have to wait to get home to do it as the pic is 5.1mb so will edit it with photoshop then post it!

Also Meteor are about to be awarded the 3rd 3g licensce in ireland it was taken from smart telecom and will be going to meteor because they could prove they have a hugh expansion of there network in mind.

No, ComReg has taken the licence from Smart because ComReg was not happy with the bond that Smart presented. The licence has not been given to anyone else because Smart has taken ComReg to court because Smart thinks their bond is just fine.

It was reported in Irish times that Meteor/Eircom made a better presentation and better advancement rate than Smart,

Smart are not sueing Comreg they are apealing their decision but Comreg's descisions are always final really (as far as i know they have never been overturned in any matter), so i think we will see Eircom/Meteor with the licensce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I was with Eircell in the early days when they used to charge an arm and a leg for calls.

Have been with T-Mobile in the UK, who I always found ok.

Here I am with O2. Cannot complain as I had 6 months free line rental from them and still get free texts. Call rates ok and end of roaming charges in the UK is very welcome. Unless 3 improve their coverage, I guess I will be staying with O2 for a while.

the poll so far says Voda is the worst!!!

Why is that they would have the best coverage and the most money to spend on upgrades, i am not with them so i cant comment on there Customer service. there rates are ok?!? there roaming agreements are 2nd to none, the hanset choice is one of the best, so what exactly is it about Voda people dont like?

I am with o2 i think they are very reasonable, no major complaints. I like the way they do little offers every now and again like this 1c text and call on the weekends now.

It was reported in Irish times that Meteor/Eircom made a better presentation and better advancement rate than Smart,

Whoopie for the Irish Times, but Smart got the license.
    Smart are not sueing Comreg they are apealing their decision but Comreg's descisions are always final really (as far as i know they have never been overturned in any matter), so i think we will see Eircom/Meteor with the licensce.

(a) I said nothing about anybody sueing anybody (b) ComReg has lost all or nearly all court cases they've been involved in. Their opinion is pretty much worthless in the scheme of things.

And to get back to the value debate, chances are Smart would make an impact here as well. They would certainly be a more interesting market participant than eircom or Meteor.

• Advertisement

but smart dont have it now!

and what court cases did Comreg loose? can you name one? How come they told o2 they had to provide their masts for Meteor masts to make it more competitive (for a fee obvisiouly),if Comreg opinions and decisions matter so little how come they stripped Smart of the licensce and they have the authority to hand them out in the first plce, also they say which is the best network for customer service on both call centres and stores from their mystery shop. So it should be good to see if their worthless opinion matters?

They would certainly be a more interesting market participant than eircom or Meteor.
    interesting how exactly? it took meteor 4-5 years to become truly competitive and if smart came into the market they would have to do the same, which is either set up their own masts which they have to do for 3g anyway or use o2 or vodafone. So they have to start frokm fresh with all the same teething problems and coverage problems everyone did. So prob there impact would prob be a ripple just like 3 ire is at the moment. o2 or Voda dont see them as a threat YET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vodafone.

best coverage.

was with meteor (eircom) but if they can't give my a proper reception in a c.50,000 population town (bray) then they were not getting another penny of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

and what court cases did Comreg loose? How come they told o2 they had to provide their masts for Meteor masts to make it more competitive

O2 nor Vodafone were not forced to allow Hutch or Meteor roam on their network. Comreg wanted to force the operators to open their network to NVMOs but this decision was overturned through appeals.
    I could get some links for ye, but im sure you will take my word for it.;)

sorry your right about o2 not been forced to share with meteor but it was like a 2 yr deal i think it ends in september this year.

Whats nvmos?

i really am not looking to argue over this stuff just trying to sort through the crap and get whats really happening with these networks. The more networks the better but o2 and voda are not going to lower there prices until they have REAL competition so i think if meteor got the 3rd licensce they would become a bigger threat to o2 and voda which would mean they would have to lower there prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

MVNO's and the 3/Meteor deals are two seperate things altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

mvnos... yeah.. thats what I ment...:D

Yes they do. Smart has filed an injunction against ComReg so ComReg can't do anything with the license until that has been sorted out.
    Interesting how exactly

Interesting in the sense of product innovation. eircom has 0 product innovation. Meteor offers much the same call cost as anyone else. The only thing they've managed to come up with is free or cheap texts between Meteor users. Where can I sign up.

3 on the other hand are looking to majorly shake up the market with stuff like Skype etc. 3 sees themselves as a media company, not a telephone company. It may or may not be the way to go, but at least they're not the same ol' overpriced crap wrapped in trendy advertising and sponsorships that the likes of Vodafone and O2 are doing. I think 3 is making a major mistake by locking data access to stuff they approve of, though.

Smart may take a different route by offering something different. I think any operator that only has a 3G network will typically push data content to a much greater degree.

Then we have O2 that sits on a 3G network that must have cost them a fortune to build and they're not marketing it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Recent media reports have indicated that Tesco are looking into an MVNO over the O2 network, as in the UK.

Carphone Warehouse are also looking into an MVNO - they have Fresh and Mobile World in the UK.

Have not heard any more about Easymobile, as they are struggling to get off the ground in the UK.

Have not heard any more about Clever Communications, but I think that is going to be aimed at business customers if it does go ahead.

If we get Tesco and CPW here, they should shake things up a little, and either of them, depending on their offerings, would make me consider leaving O2.

jrey1981 wrote:
    I was with Eircell in the early days when they used to charge an arm and a leg for calls.

Have been with T-Mobile in the UK, who I always found ok.

Here I am with O2. Cannot complain as I had 6 months free line rental from them and still get free texts. Call rates ok and end of roaming charges in the UK is very welcome. Unless 3 improve their coverage, I guess I will be staying with O2 for a while.
    unless 3 inprove the coverage? did you look at one thing we said!!

• Advertisement

jrey1981 wrote:
    Unless 3 improve their coverage, I guess I will be staying with O2 for a while.

did you not read the thread? they have full coverage

Advertisement