Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing dB Advice?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

ok, first off i didnt really know whether t post in this forum of the Technology forum, if its wrong..mods can you move it please?

ok so ive recently just built a Rig, its use is basically for everything!! i convert movies,Record Audio,Play games Surf ,blah blah everything really, but Recently i have noticed that its very noisy!!! so im looking for a way to eliminate that noise as much as possible, im not looking to spend a tonne of yo-yos on a totally silent machine, but i am looking to reduce my dB levels significantly.

Always like the idea of watercooling, but i like my case the way it is and dont really want to go drilling loads of holes for the Rad and res. and all...but i suppose i wouldn't rule it out, but would ideally like a system that could fit in my case...if such a thing exists!Also something that is ok to install for someone who doesnt have a degree in computer science like!! lol!! i would be confident in doing the work myself...but recently read a post about gline frying something with a failed watercooling experiment or ssomething...kinda put the fear of god into me now to try WC!!

Anyway, am looking for some reccomendations for cooling. ATM i have the stock intel fan that came with the processor, i have front 120mm fan, a rear and side exhaust...

Cheers!!

EDIT: Damn typos....serves me right for typing in the dark!!! lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What is your main source of noise and what is your budget? Are your HDDs making a lot of noise? what about your PSU? If its your fans that are making the noise you can simple get a fan controller from maplin for 20 yoyos. Just turn down your fan speeds when your just browsing and the computers idle, then turn it up if your playing games or any system resource heavy apps. I use one and there is an amazing difference between the fans at max speed and when they are slowed right down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

First step on the road is to figure out which compnents are loudest.

Just stop each fan one by one by pushing your finger on the middle gently to stop them. Repeat with all the fans too see which is loudest.

Watercooling definitely isn't necessary for a quiet pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

well i havent been able to open my pc up yet...but i reckon its the CPU fan thats making alot of noise, also unfortunatly the HD are noisy too, but i can live with the hd sounds

if i were to go down the WC way.....how much really for a decent kit?, and would i see a Vast improvment in the sound??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You'd be much better off buying a quiet CPU fan and replacing any other noisey fans. About €200 for good watercooling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes and no, Zalman cpu heatsinks do the same job for about a 100 euros cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement