Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting development in the UK...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Smokeless Coal

Many thanks civdef, I feel very envious,

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

civdef wrote:
    It is possible to licence a pistol in NI for target shooting, and this has always been the case AFAIK.
    Correct, Mow Molam, the then Northern Ireland Secretary of State, saw no benefit to extending the ban on handguns to Northern Ireland where, funnily enough, gun crime is very very low. This does not include guns used in terrorism obviously.

However the number of legally held firearms in N Ireland is high, compared to the UK or ROI, and as a ratio to the number of guns used in crime (again minus the Troubles thing) N Ireland has an enviable gun crime record.

Various lobbies have tried to get the handgun ban extended to NI, the gun control network for one, but have been unable to put an argument, given the very low gun crime figures.

If you are a member of a proper pistol club in NI you can buy any pistol you wish, the PSNI has a team of firearms officers in HQ that deals with all applications so none of this 'depends what my super thinks' thing thats happening in the south, makes it more fair and even handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Smokeless Coal

Many thanks for the pointer, I read the entire bill on

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=3020

at the bottom of the page it shows the bill as passed. Phew

Advertisement