Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car?

Options
  • 31-03-2006 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay so i'm getting my first car hopefully this week,

Its a Fiat Punto Sporting witha 1.2ltr Engine, year 2001.
    So far i'm getting mixed reactions from people saying that i shouldnt get such a newish car as my first one, to some extent i agree but the way i'm looking at it is that i'd be getting this car in 6 months from now anyway so i might as well get it now instead of paying 2000euro for a banger now as well.

So my question is, as your first car did ya get a "banger" or a nice starter car?

What was your first car? 32 votes

Old Banger (Pre Year 2000)
    0% 0 votes
    Normal Car (Below 8000euro)
    43% 14 votes
    Expensive Car (Over 8000euro)
    37% 12 votes
    Dont Drive.......... Yet!
    18% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I got my first car five years ago this november coming. It was a fiat Punto 1998 (so it was just three years old at the time). I ended up writing it off a year later (two weeks after passing my driving test!!!).

My second car after the accident was another 1998 Punto which I'm still driving. I'm hoping to change it to a Jeep this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ahem thats my avatar! ;) And we do have a Motoring forum here somewhere....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I still have my first car! It's a 1990 Nissan Micra 1.0L with 99,000 miles on it! Bought it from my uncle for €200, and 2 years and 10,000 miles later, still going strong.:) Mind you, I'd prefer a bigger estate car, but this will do me in the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

My first car was a Fiat 127 van I bought for £270, a complete bucket, insurance cost me £1600, even then insurance was a rip-off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

My first car was a 92 WH Fiat Uno............never had a problem with it.....my mam just gave it to me as she was getting a newer car and was going to scrap it.....lucky me:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i had a 95 vw polo only kept it for a year .it cost me 3300 and i sold it for 3000 so it was a good deal:D .some young guy just liked my sound system that was installed thats why he bought it that expensive.and it wasnot even a good system
    insurance was 2200

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I had an '86 Opel Kedet back in ... '98 I think, first and only car, got it for £80 lol, had dodgy steering, handbreak didn't work, never left the field but loads of fun when it lasted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

haven't started to drive yet, but when i do it'll be a banger!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A 2001 Punto wouldn't cost too much, Puntos devalue a lot so while it might seem like a new car, it shouldn't be too expensive. No need to get a banger, unless you're very nervous of driving and you're afraid you'll damage it. Don't get something new-new though, because you might end up scraping/scratching or denting it a bit.

I paid about 3k for my first car (aww micra).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I was lucky. I started on a 2005 Peugeot 206

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Getting my first car this week......1999 1.4 honda civic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

my first car was/is a daewoo matiz, cost 3500, insurance was 2400? Hoping to change now to a corolla!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Since when is anything pre-2000 a banger?
    My mates 89 Golf is more reliable than another friends 02 Alfa. Go figure.

Advertisement