Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 6mb download speeds?

• 31-03-2006 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Had an NTL 3mb connection installed today and it was working fine. I was getting download speeds of almost 200kb/s per second. Anyway since I'm getting 3 free months anyway (which is great as I did this last year then just cancelled as I was leaving the country, didn't think I'd get it again!) I decided to call them up and upgrade to the 6mb connection. I can always downgrade when I actually have to pay for it! Anyway since then and after 2 calls to their support dept my speeds are the same if not worse more often than not! What the hell is going on?

Right now I'm downloading a file (just one file) and the speed is 153 kb/s. It's that more in line with a 1.5mb connection or am I wrong here? I thought with 6mb I should get speeds of up to 600kb/s. Guess I'll be on to the support dept again tomorrow...

Anyone else with the same problem with the NTL speeds right now?

Would having Windows XP Service Pack make any difference to this? I just installed it before I called NTL to upgrade the connection...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I'm waiting on the upgrade from 2 to 3mb but I get around 250kbs D/L speeds
    no problem using IDM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

There is a very recent thread pprocisely about these problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054902782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

buddy there is alway flucuations in speed when upgrades go on! realx!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I'll see how it is tomorrow before I make that call.... I've read all of that other thread now and I can see that alot of peeps are getting +6mb speeds so there better be an improvement! Dunno if it makes too much of a difference but my modem is connected through usb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

have you tried unplugging the power from the modem for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in? (p0w0r cycl3 teh biatch!)

• Advertisement

No!

I'll try it now and see what happens though.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd give it 2 or 3 weeks to settle down. They're in the middle of huge upgrades and everyone's speeds are going to be all over the shop.

Hmmm...this is my reading from a test I just did!

1.6 megabits per second

Communications 1.6 megabits per second
    Storage 197.7 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 5.2 seconds
    Subjective rating Great

It was less than 30 times that in my test before that (which was a about a minute or less before!)

I can see what you mean about speeds being all over the gaff - understatement if I ever heard one!

Advertisement