Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dive computers

Options
  • 31-03-2006 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Hey i should be getting my first dive computer soon,does anyone have a recomendations as one a good cheap modle, im also looking for sites that have good upt to date reviews of dive computers.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks guys chris.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Hey i should be getting my first dive computer soon,does anyone have a recomendations as one a good cheap modle, im also looking for sites that have good upt to date reviews of dive computers.

any help is much appreciated.

thanks guys chris.

Hi Chris,

I use a Suunto Vyper and I find it simple to use and easy to read, it has also the capablility to use various mixes of nitrox, has decompression mode and lots of gismos that you will never use :D . I find that most sport divers (in this country) use either Uatec Aladdins, or some form of Suuntos. The Suunto Vyper (personal anecdote) is slightly more conservative than the Aladin.

Suggest you look at either

www.simplyscuba.co.uk or
    www.scubastore.com

I have bought items from both these sites and found them good to deal with.
    Expect to pay about E340 for the Vyper.

Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Cheers man ill check those out.
    What about aquaholics as a store i got my cylinder,reg and stab jacket there?

Id still like many more peoples oppinions and suggestions.

chris

Hi Chris,

Aquaholics charge E370 (incl p&p) for the Vyper :D .

I notice that you are a Blaa head, suggest that you try out John in the Waterford Dive & Angling centre on the Tramore Road. He had a deal on Aladdins & I checked out the price on the net for a friend and he was a little cheaper as he was for a few other things.

Benny

Thanks i dont think i willl be buying from them then. Yeah i think i will drop into john and check out what he has,I just fihured everything would be cheaper on the web.

Also i was looking at the suunto gekko as i cant see the use in downloading you dive info to your pc what do you think of that computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i use the suunto gekko. its a really good dive computer for both air and nitrox. the buttons + menu on it are really easy to navigate and use.

id recommend aquaholics for buying equipment, they are a top notch outfit. i bought a bauer junior II compressor off them, i had a problem with it and the arranged for it to be collected from dublin and then returned when the problem was fixed.

afaik they will post items to you but if u wanna take a trip up to the north they have sum fantastic diving up there too.

• Advertisement

Yeah they do post,teh sent my cylinder all the way down to waterford and as far as i remember shipping is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Uwatec Aladin Ultra Pro was very good to me. Good build quality and reasonable price. Does Nitrox as well.

What is actually the point of downloading the dive info to you pc ?does it have any practical use?

What is actually the point of downloading the dive info to you pc ?does it have any practical use?

No, but looks very sexy and it does impress your non-diving friends :D

Benny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I suppose you could see how your bouyancy is doing.. you might think its great but the profile could show you very differently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the download functionis handy, if you go on any interesting deep dives with interesting profiles, it's cool to be able to go back and see what they looked like..

am i right in thinking the gecko has no backlight? if not, that is a major flaw..i have the vyper and wouldn't swap it, except for maybe a vytec..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I have the suunto mosquito and I love it- virtually the exact same as the vyper and usually the same price, but its more of a wrist watch so the display is smaller. I use it as a sports watch too and I get great use out of it, and its been round the world and back again with me and I can't fault it.

The PC download option is good fun when you do fairly intensive dive holidays or just want to keep track of your profile. It came in extremely handy for me last summer after a qualified diver I had out on a dive I was leading developed DCS symptoms after the dive- after downloading and printing out the text-book perfect profile the student eventually admitted to pre-exisiting medical conditions that she hadn't owned up too. the real clincher for me though was that she was a divemaster candidate... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

Im definately advise a Sunnto aswell, not badly priced either, usually. Easy to use and excellent in the water, you can set your own preferences on em, not sure if you can do this with Uwatec ones.

If your up in Cork sometime Chris give me a shout and Ill show you a few types.

All the best.

Advertisement