Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vibration

Options
  • 01-04-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hey

In the past 2 weeks i have noticed that when i use the brakes on a 91 civic that the car vibrates and shakes

I left it in to two garages but they dont know what is wrong with it

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'll start the ball rolling by guessing that you have a warped brake disc. Can you feel anything through the pedal under heavy braking? It could also be down to bad tyres - I've seen tyres which looked ok but the bands were fatigued and caused spreading under load. The brake disc should be an easy one to confirm.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

I'll start the ball rolling by guessing that you have a warped brake disc. Can you feel anything through the pedal under heavy braking? It could also be down to bad tyres - I've seen tyres which looked ok but the bands were fatigued and caused spreading under load. The brake disc should be an easy one to confirm.

'cptr
    Cheers man

Its not my car,its me sis car
    The pads are ok and the tyres are spot on,the car has only passed an NCT 4 weeks ago.
    Why do you think the discs might be warped?
    Nothing happened to the car since the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

MrSinn wrote:
    Why do you think the discs might be warped?
    Because there one of the main causes of vibration under braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had this on a '91 BMW 316 recently and it turned out to be the wheel bearings . Get them checked , probably just worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I've seen this problem when worn bearings are replaced, the discs having worn unevenly when the bearings failed cause pulsing (or locking) when new bearings are fitted. Any half-arse garage should be able to diagnose either of these problems and discs for a 91 Civic will cost very little.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did the 1991 Civic had disc brakes?

Advertisement