Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anyone wanna own up.

Options
  • 01-04-2006 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

It's a common thread, the slow people in the overtaking lane on dual carriageways.
    I have actually reached nirvana, I drove on the inside lane of the m1 at a good speed whilst to my astonishment passing about 30 cars, yes undertaking.
    Its my pet hate, so maybe some of these people who do this, despite flashed lights, will sit in the overtaking lane.
    I won't accept the " I am doing the speed limit" reply.
    Its the overtaking lane, and the person behind you may have an emergency, ever thought of that, as you piously sit there at 120 kmh.
    Driving is all about observation and courtesy, well it used to be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

stratos wrote:
    I have actually reached nirvana, I drove on the inside lane of the m1 at a good speed whilst to my astonishment passing about 30 cars, yes undertaking.

Maith an fear/bean thu. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And this required a new thread?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

stratos wrote:
    It's a common thread, the slow people in the overtaking lane on dual carriageways.
    :
    :
    Driving is all about observation and courtesy, well it used to be.

Aah, roll on monday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

In the past week I have encountered two cars doing this. I didn't Undertake. I just sat behind them for 5 minutes until they moved to the correct lane. Both cars were driven by women with mobile phones to their ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stratos wrote:
    Its my pet hate

Mine too :(

The amazing thing is that flashing only works in about half the cases in my experience. And I don't think they don't want to be overtaken, I think they simply don't realise what's happening or what's around them. Total ignorance - literally :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

the outside lane in a motorway should be for overtaking only then there would be no need for tailgating!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I had to slam on the brakes yesterday on the M50. Was in the overtaking lane, I had passed a slow truck and stayed out becase there was a car merging ahead.old woman in a micra doing about 40 down the Firhouse on ramp, stupid cow just sailed across both lanes right into my path. I braked so hard the ABS came on and I only avoided hitting her by inches.

And I was driving a 40 foot coach at the time so if I had hit her or worse swerved to avoid and lost control it would have been carnage.

She then proceeded to continue in the overtaking lane at 40mph. After a round of horn and lights I eventually undertook her and avoided the urge to run her off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

John R wrote:
    I had to slam on the brakes yesterday on the M50. Was in the overtaking lane, I had passed a slow truck and stayed out becase there was a car merging ahead.old woman in a micra doing about 40 down the Firhouse on ramp, stupid cow just sailed across both lanes right into my path. I braked so hard the ABS came on and I only avoided hitting her by inches.

And I was driving a 40 foot coach at the time so if I had hit her or worse swerved to avoid and lost control it would have been carnage.

She then proceeded to continue in the overtaking lane at 40mph. After a round of horn and lights I eventually undertook her and avoided the urge to run her off the road.

Aren't you guys not supposed to be in the overtaking lane:eek: :D Maybe that's just HGV's/Trucks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Why do so many posters refer to overtaking on the left as "undertaking". It sounds ridiculous! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Litcagral wrote:
    Why do so many posters refer to overtaking on the left as "undertaking". It sounds ridiculous! :mad:
    Eh, because that's what it is, genius. It's not slang. "Litcagral" sounds ridiculous IMO.

• Advertisement

The OP wrote:
    Eh, because that's what it is, genius. It's not slang. "Litcagral" sounds ridiculous IMO.

Well if you are the expert perhaps you could enlighten me as to why there are no references to "undertaking" in:

The Rules of the Road
    The Official driver Theory Test Book
    The Official driving Manual (UK)
    Driving Goods Vehicles (UK)
    Driving Standards Agency-Coaches & Buses (UK)

There are however, many references to "overtaking on the left".

It's in the ROTR book - Page 12, line 3.

PWNED!

The OP wrote:
    It's in the ROTR book - Page 12, line 3.

PWNED!

Not in my edition - 22nd reprint - (Nov 2005). Page 12, line 3 refers to seat belt anchorages.

Litcagral wrote:
    Not in my edition - 22nd reprint - (Nov 2005). Page 12, line 3 refers to seat belt anchorages.
    Aaaah - y'see I have the 21st reprint - (July 2005) and Page 12, line 3 refers to undertaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

stratos wrote:

Can I assume you all mean motorways as there are no overtaking lanes on dual carraigeways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think from the previous x number of threads on this topic one will get the idea that there are two very dangerous yet uniquely different kind of people who drive on the roads and concern themselves with overtaking and undertaking:

a) "The enforcers" - these do the limit, or less, on the outside lane and belive that is where they are entitled to be.
    b) "Kamikaze pilots" - Sometime drive foreign registered cars and/or BMWs, and are known to weave in and out between cars, undertaking and overtaking at their discretion. They may also use the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Jip wrote:
    Can I assume you all mean motorways as there are no overtaking lanes on dual carraigeways.
    Really? What are the right hand lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

So far only the M1 and M50 have been referenced. Which ARE both motorways, or at least they were when I last drove on them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

jd wrote:
    Really? What are the right hand lanes?

Driving lanes.

Prospect - I know only the M50 and M1 have been referenced but the topic of discussion is, as I quoted, people owning up to driving slown in the "overtaking lane on dual carraigeways".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

From the ROTR:
    Driving on Dual Carraigeways

On dual carriageways the general rule of driving on the left applies. The outer lane of a two-lane dual carriageway should be used only by -
    • Faster moving traffic
    • For overtaking
    • When intending to turn right a short distance ahead.

The outer lane of a three-lane dual carriageway should only be used for overtaking or when it is intended to make a right turn a short distance ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Jip wrote:
    Driving lanes.

Prospect - I know only the M50 and M1 have been referenced but the topic of discussion is, as I quoted, people owning up to driving slown in the "overtaking lane on dual carraigeways".
    No they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

The other day coming up the M1 from Drogheda, I spot some lone gimp in the distance trundling along in the overtaking lane.... As I approached I contemplated staying in my own lane and going past him in the left lane. In the end I hovered back down the road from him in the left lane, indicated and moved into the right lane and came up behind him... I said I'd count to 10 before the flashing begun... It took him a few seconds but he eventually moved in and let me past... some young fella having a chat with his mate... feckin ejit.

Advertisement