Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genuine, Cheap, Legit MS Software

• 01-04-2006 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I had recently noticed a link on the end of my MSN conversation windows for Students to get genuine MS software at an 80% discount (which turns out to what I would consider the "proper" price for that software anyway.

Examples:
    Windows XP Pro, Upgrade €80
    MS Office Pro 2003 €80

The software is available from www.studentoptions.com (which is an MS AER)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This microsoft page links to it anyway.
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/promo-events/discounted-for-students/

http://www.athensams.net/list_orgs.php - list of valid organisations - it's not for joe public
    eg: Dublin City University 631321
    To be able to purchase you need an active email address from your University or College. Click here to check that your University or College is listed.

Still reckon that OpenOffice offers better value for most students ;)

I can't find the small print that matters - the Licensing terms, are you allowed to keep the SW after you finish college, if you upgrade an OEM license is the new one bound to the same machine, looks like you can't sell on the sw either. SOME small print - look at section 10.2 :)
    http://www.studentoptions.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayTermsandConditionsPage&SiteID=msft&Locale=en_GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Here is what I did. I went to the site and selected the software I wanted. I went to the checkout and put in my cc number and the card billing addy. And then it asked me to accept the T&Cs or something. I did that and I got a confirmation page with the download link and the PK. I downloaded the software and installed it on my PC, then I installed a second copy on my laptop persuent to the licence agreement (which allows you to install office on one PC and one portable PC). Both installations have been activated with MS.

The site did not ask for an athens number from me, and it accepted my old "junk" addy that I use when filling in online forms but not wanting to give out my "real" addy. But since it is still a valid email that I check, it is not a problem.

OpenOffice is better value, and I use it as well, but there are always going to be people that just want MS Office because everyone else uses it and the way I look at it is this, buy it cheap instead of pirating it. If you then still dont want to pay up, get OpenOffice. It is that simple.

CM, Section 10.2 only applys if you sell the software to a third party before Digital River receives the money for the software from you. Once the payment has cleared then ownership of the "product" transfers to you.

With student licenses. To buy the software you have to be a student. Once you have bought it, you can treat it like retail software except that you cant sell it. So I can buy a new PC. Uninstall Office from that PC, install it on my new one. Phone MS, and reactivate it. Simple.

Advertisement