Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing from driving on the left to the right

Options
  • 01-04-2006 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

I just heard on the radio this morning that the UK and Ireland are going to change the side of the road we drive on. They were a bit vague on detail on when this was going to happen. Anyone can shed a bit of light on the issue?

(That'll end Jap import cars into this country.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Poisson d'avril.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Yes its true !!!!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Happy Aprils Fools Day!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! It'll never happen - not until the Polish population has reached 50.01% of the total population anyway! :p

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

he he sucker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Balls!:o I better be more vigilante for the rest of the day!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Yes, I heard that too. We are going to do it in 3 phases. First the Motocycles, a week later the trucks and buses and anothe week later the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    not until the Polish population has reached 50.01% of the total population anyway!

A Trinity professor of statistics has reported he's expecting that to happen on 01/04/2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Max_Damage wrote:
    I just heard on the radio this morning that the UK and Ireland are going to change the side of the road we drive on. They were a bit vague on detail on when this was going to happen. Anyone can shed a bit of light on the issue?

(That'll end Jap import cars into this country.)
    my wife told me the same thing this evening she was adamant about this story until i told her what day it was

last year today fm reported that ronan collins had won the lotto ,

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

April fool or not - Sweden did it!

It would end the Jap import but that market is knackered with the amended VRT on them.

It would open up the continental market to us though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

atlantean wrote:
    April fool or not - Sweden did it!

It would end the Jap import but that market is knackered with the amended VRT on them.

It would open up the continental market to us though!
    sweeden did it in the 1930's when there were f**k all cars in the country and they did it at 3pm now can you imagine it happening here happy april fools joke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

mike65 wrote:
    Ha! It'll never happen - not until the Polish population has reached 50.01% of the total population anyway! :p

Mike.

Carpark in my local lidl is already gone 62.5%!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

sweeden did it in the 1930's when there were f**k all cars in the country and they did it at 3pm now can you imagine it happening here happy april fools joke

5am on Sunday, September 3, 1967 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

This would make crossing the border very interesting indeed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

fletch wrote:
    This would make crossing the border very interesting indeed! :D

Read again.....
    Max_Damage wrote:
    I just heard on the radio this morning that the UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

a problem these days would be infratreucture - dual carriage way/motorway sliproads are designed for driving on the left, this is something sweden didn't have to worry about back in the 1930s also.

however, don't rule it out... if the economy starts declining the SIMI (want to sell more cars), Insurance companies (will enjoy a holiday period of charging higher premiums for legacy RHD cars) could lobby and promote driving on the right using the usual keywords "stimulate economy", "single EU market", "safety" (somehow this always is mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

vector wrote:
    a problem these days would be infratreucture - dual carriage way/motorway sliproads are designed for driving on the left, this is something sweden didn't have to worry about back in the 1930s also.

Or 1960s ??:rolleyes:

Sweden1967.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_hand_drive#Sweden

Advertisement