Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow behaviour??

Options
  • 01-04-2006 10:09am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, this is going to sound really strange, and it is probably the most strangest post I have ever made on boards.ie but here it goes

Farmers just put about 20 cows in a field that I own (I let it out to them so they can put cows it in). Now, unlike every other set of cows that they put in the field, these cows are acting very funny, and I don't know what is going on with them

First, they would all huddle up really close together in a place full of nettles that I never see cows going before. And when they do this they would start moowing very loudly, nearly all of them.

Secondly, they all would run really fast to the other end of the field, as if they were being chased by something, but there is nothing chasing them

Other times the whole group will split up (which seems odd as cows usually stay together)

Is there any website or anything that will tell you a bit about behaviour of cows, and what actions like that mean??

Thanks for the help (in advance)
    Timbuk2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Cows usually behave this way on April 1 for some strange reason. Pigs fly as well and if you were onthe piss yesterday there may even be pink elephants on the bottom of your bed.

Enjoy the sunshine,:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

OK, this is going to sound really strange, and it is probably the most strangest post I have ever made on boards.ie but here it goes

Farmers just put about 20 cows in a field that I own (I let it out to them so they can put cows it in). Now, unlike every other set of cows that they put in the field, these cows are acting very funny, and I don't know what is going on with them

First, they would all huddle up really close together in a place full of nettles that I never see cows going before. And when they do this they would start moowing very loudly, nearly all of them.

Secondly, they all would run really fast to the other end of the field, as if they were being chased by something, but there is nothing chasing them

Other times the whole group will split up (which seems odd as cows usually stay together)

Is there any website or anything that will tell you a bit about behaviour of cows, and what actions like that mean??

Thanks for the help (in advance)
    Timbuk2

Sounds like they have just been released after winter housing. Young cattle especially will run around the field after being confined to limited space all winter.

(Do you mean cattle in general, i.e. cows, bullocks, heifers, or do you specifically mean cows?).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Well they are only new in the field (they were in for about 2 weeks now, more than likely from winter housing)

They are just cows and about 4 calfs, there are no bulls (males)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

They are plotting to take over the world!
    I always said cows were evil, evil I tellya!

(/me has BIG phobia of cows *shudder* less funny than it sounds lol)

b :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Whoo, this is serious. They seem exercised about something, and you should get them exorcised about something. Have you called the Cowxorsist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've just noticed today that there is dogs in the field... they seem to come into the field every now and again. 3 of the dogs are black and white and 1 of them is just white. There are four dogs, obviously :)

I have never seen them do anything to the cows but could it be possible that they could be scaring the cows or possibly hurt one of the cows????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

They have just been let out of the shed after the winter. They are sitting near each other as they were in a confined place since last November and have got into that habit. Then, they are running wild because they are enjoying their newly found space. Or maybe, the farmer is still feeding them and when they see him at the gate, they are running towards him for food.

Do not worry, Its nothing too uncommon!

It be also that they are splitting up into the groups that they were in when they were in during the winter. If this is the case, it'll soon disappear and they'll all be one big happy family again

The dogs would make run too though. Dontknow why they would be sitting on nettles, maybe its just more somfortable. They have been sitting in a hard concrete shed all winter, so maybe it feels softer????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

Cudman. Perma-ban. B

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement