Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I can't download any files!!!

• 01-04-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi.

I've recently upgraded an old Gateway to windows 98 SE and have installed wireless broadband on it. Now broadband is working but compared to my brand new dell with XP its slow but thats to be expected. Heres some issues which chould tax your large craniums.

1. I can't download a single file-nada, zip!!! I have been trying to download some anti-virus software (or anything for that matter) and any time I try, the webpage just re-directs me to a random site called www.nkvd.us every time. I have tried looking at internet settings/permissions and as far as I can make out there is noting there that should prevent me from downloading files.

2. Run time error 103 at 0040541B. This little beaut keeps popping up on screen every 20 mins or so. Did search on net and advice seems to be to do a full scan disc then a defragmentation, trouble is...

3. When I run scan disc, I get the message that it is having to restart itself over and over due to other programs writing to the disc! :eek: What bloody programs would they be? I havent any other windows open or programs running.

4.Defragmentation. Tried running this and it never moves from 0%. Searched net again and advice was to run scan disc first! :mad: argh. see above for viscious circle.

Any help on these points would be molto appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Huh, that is very strange. I would say that you have a virus but you couldn't have seen as you just installed a new operating system

Maybe you have a firewall that won't let you download stuff (don't know why it is redirecting you to a random site though)

BTW I bet you a tener that someone will post saying that the reason this is happening is because Windows 98 is sh1t, which is not the reason why this is happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

well the os isnt brand new-i upgraded from windows to windows 98 se. this computer is about 8 years old. it did have major problems at one stage but got it fixed. it hasnt been used in 2 years up until this week gone.

I installed Norton anti virus straight away but it was making things unbearably slow so i unintalled it. just want to get AVG or something on it but cant download the pox thing

about the firewall-any ideas where i should look for this? tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sounds like you have spyware\malware in additon to your filesystem woes.

Like you said, forget norton. Scandisk not running is pretty normal TBH, many programs run in the background that hinder it's progress. You need to run it in safe mode.

From another computer: Grab the following:

Spybot Search and destroy
    Lavasoft Ad Aware
    Spyware blaster (prevenatitve)
    Spyware Doctor

Run the scans in safe mode too.

When you have it all cleaned up and working, use the kerio firewall that works with 98 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

tks will try all of the above n report back

Advertisement