Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network card problem

• 01-04-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I'm trying set up eircom broadband, but the PC (about 2 yrs old) doesnt seem to have a network card installed. The ethernet cable is plugged at the back fine, but in 'Network Connections' there is no Local area Connection showing, just a '1394 connection'.

I thought it might just not be installed, so I tried using the drivers that came with the PC, but it says that the network drivers are installed fine.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Could be disabled.

Go to Device Manager and check under network adapters. Right click on the adapter; if you have the option to enable, you're home free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

CuLT wrote:
    Could be disabled.

Go to Device Manager and check under network adapters. Right click on the adapter; if you have the option to enable, you're home free.

Unfortunately, no luck, the only network adapter shown is the 1394 adapter. I know there should be an ethernet controller of some sort, but that's all there is. Is there is a simple way of reinstalling this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Does the ethernet appear to be integreated into the motherboard or is it a seperate card? You call tell this by looking at the back of the pc. If it is a seperate card it might be worth checking if it is physically installed correctly? Might need to be pushed in a bit! What make and model of pc is it? Have you checked the spec on the manufacturers website?

Rather than wasting loads of time a network card does not cost much more than a tenner so might be worth buying anew one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If its built in it may need to be enabled in BIOS.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    If its built in it may need to be enabled in BIOS.

kdjac
    Cheers.

How would I do this?

I'm pretty sure its integrated in the motherboard. Its a Dell dimension, 4600 i think.

The network card wasnt needed before, so I'm not sure if it ever worked, or was 'present'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When the pc is booting up at the Dell screen hit whichever key it says to enter BIOS or SETUP.

Each Bios is different but there will be an option to enable or disable the card, when you enable it windows will find it and install it without any need for drivers then you can use it.

Check your manual usually on desktop to see if there is a guide with pictures .

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    When the pc is booting up at the Dell screen hit whichever key it says to enter BIOS or SETUP.

Each Bios is different but there will be an option to enable or disable the card, when you enable it windows will find it and install it without any need for drivers then you can use it.

Check your manual usually on desktop to see if there is a guide with pictures .

kdjac

Great, I'll check it out, thanks.

Aaaaarrrgggghhh. Still nothing. It says the ethernet controller is active in BIOS. Can't figure it out. Maybe its just busted. Can I replace an integrated card with a seperate card?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

6ix wrote:
    Aaaaarrrgggghhh. Still nothing. It says the ethernet controller is active in BIOS. Can't figure it out. Maybe its just busted. Can I replace an integrated card with a seperate card?

Yep no problem - if necessary you could always the disable the integrated one in the bios if there are any problems but as it is not showing up thats unnlikely.

Branded ones are about 13 euros in It Direct unbranded about 10 in Maplins.

Phew! A quick reinstall of all network drivers and a restart and all is good. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement