Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay, let's try this again...

• 01-04-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Wireless Broadband Thread, which I posted, is broken somehow so I'll remake it. I alerted the admins the other one should disappear soon.

Basically, I am living about 5 or 6 miles out of Tullamore in County Offaly, attached to the Killeigh exchange, which is not broadband enabled (contrary to getbroadband.ie's beliefs..). Also a big thanks to eircom for putting my whole (3 mile) road on a big long carrier line, which only connects to dial up at a speed of 16.8kbs!!! A wireless broadband provider (www.lastmile.ie) operates in the Midlands, with a mast on Arden Hill in Tullamore. I have emailed them asking them about it, and they said I might be able to connect to that mast.

Now, I am an avid gamer, recently a subscriber to a mighty fine eircom adsl connection when I lived in the town (I unfortunately moved out about 6 months ago). I am wondering will I, at this distance from the mast, subscribed to the 512/512 package, be able to game? My main games would be World of Warcraft and CounterStrike. I have my doubts. When I emailed them, they said I should have a fine ping, but, well, they would!

Also, there is a huge hill behind my house which would be perfect for one of their masts, any ideas as to how I would get them to put one up there? I know it sounds stupid but it actually would be a perfect hill for it.

In addition, I have heard of Group Broadband Schemes. Are these schemes gaming compatible, and how do go about getting one into my community? If Last Mile won't be suitable.

Thank you all for your time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

What you could do is get together with a few more gamers nearby and build your own wireless network, and link it back to DSLville.Gear is now cheaper/more readily available and easier to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Communications/Communications+Development/Group+Broadband+Scheme
    Thats the info on the Group Broadband Schemes.
    I'm on one in moycullen galway. IBB had a mast nearby but it couldn't reach us, so they set up this Group Broadband Scheme, ]i wasn't involved, moved in when the work was done ;) [ basically they got a company called cellcom to make a mast in the village and connect it to IBB's mast.
    I'm on 512/512, and i play alot of games. It works perfectly for cs and all source games, I dont have wow. Only problem i have is it won't work with bf2 at all. I just dont think i have the bandwidth, because bf2 64player map is very demanding. I can join a game with a ping of like 50 to uk, but it is really jittery and I keep getting random disconnects "your connection to server was lost".

If your only priority is gaming and you are trying to spearhead your GBS then you had better make this crystal clear in the begining. The pings I get to boards are roughly 40ms and 50ms to bbc.co.uk. Currently I am having an issue with jolt gaming servers in cs, i ping all other uk servers for like 80 but Im getting 160 to jolt :confused:
    I do get ping problems and loss on my line, and when i complain to cellcom they say "are you getting the right dl speeds" and "we never had gaming in mind". But I just bitch and then they cop on. Anyway me issues are to do with IBB so they won't apply to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Wizoom

Hmm interesting, thanks a million guys! And nobody thinks my 5 mile distance to the mast will be too far for adequate gaming? I'm guna get lastmile in to do a LOS test ASAP soon so, and we'll see how it goes...

As for these GBS, anyone know what kind of things that need to be done, or conditions that need to be met before you are approved? Killurin is absolutely tiny, I don't think there is even a shop, and the kinda people round here may not be too interested in broadband... Though nearby Killeigh maybe, and is a bit bigger, I don't think it has any tall hills nearby, and is still a good 3 or 4 miles away. Ho hum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Since you mainly need it for gaming,doing it yourself maybe a better option or you may in the future run into trouble like Ruffty has, have a look around http://www.irishwan.com for a bit more info

Advertisement