Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge

Options
  • 01-04-2006 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

An mhaith le aon duine de scudu gaeilge a chleactadh? Tá me an nervíseach mar níl aon obair a deanta agam! Cad a deanfaidh mé ma se do thol e? Tá ceist agam - how do u pronounce words such as
    Fhéadfadh
    Bhíodh
    crochadh
    lasmuigh
    d'fhaigheadh

basically most Modh Coinilach words? Cad é na ceisteanna ata le ullmhu againn? Cabhru mise :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Fhéadfadh = aid-ach
    Bhíodh = V-ach
    crochadh = cruc-ach
    lasmuigh = lass-mwigh//lass-mwuh
    d'fhaigheadh = die-ach

i've prepared what would you do if:
    -you were principal
    -were president/taoiseach
    -won the lotto
    -moved to the country
    -you didn't get enough points in the leaving for your desired course

stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I did mine last tuesday and the examiner was nasty!
    He asked me five Mó Chionilach (spelling?)
    What would I do to improve respect for Irish?
    How would I change the Irish course to improve it?
    What would I do if I was Minister for Education?
    Where would I like to live, and what would I do there?
    And finally, what would I do if I caught a Drug Dealer?

he was evil! Though everyone keeps saying to me I must have done well because of the amount of conditional I had to answer.
    Other stuff that came up for me was: do I like the school, difference between the country and the city, how I get to school, my area, what I was gonna do next year and what I'd do after the oral.

EDIT: By the way, I do Ordinary level. Thing is though I'm near enough fluent in Irish when I'm speaking but I can hardly write the language, hence me dropping down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

"Fhéadfadh = aid-ach"

my teacher says you can say it that way, or "-aid-oo", same with all of them... "ooo" instead of "uck"..

ahaha i think that made sense.. ahaha...

tá brón orm..

is maith liom milseáin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

...speaking of such subjects, which of these is right:

nuair a tiocfaidh mé abhaile
    nuair a thiocfaidh mé abhaile

(I know tiocfaidh doesn't normally have a seimhiu but after a...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

go raibh mile maith agat! níl aon fonn agam! is fuath liom an Ardtesit!tá se homogéneseach! yuk

• Advertisement

For the sliochts how do u say:

Bhaineadh - is it wannach or wanna
    shíneadh is it heena or hennach?
    gabháil - goll oor gawal
    bealach - balach or byalch

I kno der stupid little ones but better safe than sorry!!
    how do u say if i dont get the points i would repeat (i wont but ill jus say it!)

Bhaineadh - i'd say vwin-ach
    shíneadh - heen-ach
    gabháil - ga-wall
    bealach - bal-ach

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

curtains wrote:
    ...speaking of such subjects, which of these is right:

nuair a tiocfaidh mé abhaile
    nuair a thiocfaidh mé abhaile

(I know tiocfaidh doesn't normally have a seimhiu but after a...)

I'm doing Irish in college and I'd say nuair a dtiocfaidh mé....
    but i'm not 100%!!

one more sorry
    inár dteannta?
    and do u say ann as awn or onn

d4gurl wrote:
    one more sorry
    inár dteannta?
    and do u say ann as awn or onn
    d-an-ta

love your sig :D

• Advertisement

Se&#225 wrote: »
    dont get worried about mixing up dialects i mix them up all the time in school and we speak a connaught irish mostly. but i always say:

guh row maith agat

instead of

go rEV maith again

aye in our classes we have them 2 ^ completely mixed up, rev/row.. whatever we feel like.. well, i always say rev, but noone is worried, cos i'd say our irish is a mixture of all the dialects, due to y'know, us east coasters having none of our own really :rolleyes:

Oh Sean Mac, did you get my pm?

d-an-ta

love your sig :D

tnks i took a leaf out of ur book!ahh! are u sure its d - anta and not deyanta ann? tnks for all d help!!!wens ur irish oral?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

How did some people have the Irish Oral last week? :confused: I thought it was French or is it different around the country?

its different around the country i think?

from what someone told me...

in the southern half(ish?) they had irish first maybe?
    and the northern areas had French/German/Spanish first?

and then vice versa for next week..?

maybe im wrong..!

ur right! Some schools have irish the first week and den language d next...go to www.examinations.ie whoever really cares!:D

d4gurl wrote:
    tnks i took a leaf out of ur book!ahh! are u sure its d - anta and not deyanta ann? tnks for all d help!!!wens ur irish oral?
    you're right actually...that's what i was saying in my head, but it didn't come across like that over the internet :D

so its dey - anta?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

d-day tomorrow for some of ye im sure :D break a leg.

they're saving the best 'til last as im up on thursday/friday. im terrified and shaking with nerves at the thought of it :p

it'd b a laugh to go in and just talk english an t-am ar fad. or else learn about 10mins of stuff of by heart and keep talking until the time is up, not letting the examiner speak.

if all else fails ive got a plan so re-direct the questions back to the examiner..."inis dom faoi do theach?" "bheul, tá sé go deas, ach cad faoi DO theach? Déan cur síos ar do theach..."

d4gurl wrote:
    so its dey - anta?
    sure is

• Advertisement

tnks for all d help!d day is tomorrow im so nervous!

d4gurl wrote:
    tnks for all d help!d day is tomorrow im so nervous!

why?

cuz ive done no work and i unlike u am not a genius :P (sarcasm by the way :D) can someone tel me what to study pharmacy is in college??PLEASE!!! oh and if i say i want to do pharmacy i may be asked on health system
    soo whats Mary hanafins name in irsish
    shes the t-Aire slainte?
    ok desperately need help

d4gurl wrote:
    cuz ive done no work and i unlike u am not a genius :P (sarcasm by the way :D) can someone tel me what to study pharmacy is in college??PLEASE!!! oh and if i say i want to do pharmacy i may be asked on health system
    soo whats Mary hanafins name in irsish
    shes the t-Aire slainte?
    ok desperately need help

:p chill out girl, your panicking. deep breaths. go in there and talk about what youve prepared. if sumtin else comes up, give a quick response and divert the question to something youve learned.

eg- "so you'll be studying pharmacy, tell me about the health system in ireland....."
    well, i think it's flawless and i couldnt do a better job myself, speaking of myself..... i like computers and spend all day on them....boards.ie is so addictive....the lastest craze is bebo. bla bla..."

just think like me and you'll be grand, just say to yourself, what would smemon think?

will do!haha!but here no has told me what mary hanafin is in irish! Máire ní what?????????? how do i say i wish we could have a system like britain where healthcare is state funded. woah now dat wud be cul to say!i hv to miss the oc cuz of this oral grrrrrrr. Is mhaith liom Tg4. Is é an OC an clar is fearr liom mar taispeanann se na fadhbanna de ogmheisculacht, drugai agus brú na staidear . Is mhaith liom Teenage kicks (hvnt a clue wat dis ones about someone fill me in quick!)im calm now ill jus keep sayin tá smemon an mhaith agus tá sé an cliste blah!hehe

d4gurl wrote:
    will do!haha!but here no has told me what mary hanafin is in irish! Máire ní what?????????? how do i say i wish we could have a system like britain where healthcare is state funded. woah now dat wud be cul to say!i hv to miss the oc cuz of this oral grrrrrrr. Is mhaith liom Tg4. Is é an OC an clar is fearr liom mar taispeanann se na fadhbanna de ogmheisculacht, drugai agus brú na staidear . Is mhaith liom Teenage kicks (hvnt a clue wat dis ones about someone fill me in quick!)im calm now ill jus keep sayin tá smemon an mhaith agus tá sé an cliste blah!hehe
    Mary Ní Hanafain???? sure that'll do!!

you missed the OC to study for your oral but yet you're online.....

can't you watch it and be online at the same time?!?!

haha wel ive alredy seen it about three times (from my "cousin in US" hope u catch my drift!) i jus wnted to watch d end again so i did! I wz online for school purposes

Ill say Máire Ní hanafain!wait shes d stupid education one
    hmmmmmm Máire Harney?haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

watch out for the Modh Coinniolach questions, as for some reason when someone asks me something in it, I answer first in it and then change to the Fháistineach..

Tá an béaltrial Gaeilge go han éasca, bí cúramach go gcurieann tú isteach na sémhú ins na áiteanna ceart. Tá ár múinteoir Gaeilge imithe don seachtain ar fad chun na béaltrial a dhéanamh, agus tá sé ar súil ar an Deardaoin agus an Aoine!

• Advertisement

Tá se criochnaite! i cnt tel how it went. it was ok!she let me speak for most of it!i dont kno! :S

Advertisement