Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bargain 03 Mondeo TDCi 130bhp, but with 100k

Options
  • 01-04-2006 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Guys,

Need your "EXPERT Opinion" once again :)

I'm looking at a 03 Modeo Ghia Spec, TDCi,
    Very nice car i must say,

Only issue is 100k on the clock.
    History is:

Mechanic owned it from brand new till 55k & passed it onto a taxi driver 9months ago, who then clock 45k on it & it's going for 14k with 12month Warranty in a Garage.

Yes i know Diesels run forever & the Performance of the car is excelent.

But with doing 15-20k miles per year in it, will it be worth selling trading in within 2yrs?
    AS i wouldnt plan on keepin it much longer than that..

I want to purchase it, but only if a dealer will take it with 130k on it, or i can sell it privately....
    Your advice would be most grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi Guys,

Need your "EXPERT Opinion" once again :)

I'm looking at a 03 Modeo Ghia Spec, TDCi,
    Very nice car i must say,

Only issue is 100k on the clock.
    History is:

Mechanic owned it from brand new till 55k & passed it onto a taxi driver 9months ago, who then clock 45k on it & it's going for 14k with 12month Warranty in a Garage.

Yes i know Diesels run forever & the Performance of the car is excelent.

But with doing 15-20k miles per year in it, will it be worth selling trading in within 2yrs?
    AS i wouldnt plan on keepin it much longer than that..

I want to purchase it, but only if a dealer will take it with 130k on it, or i can sell it privately....
    Your advice would be most grateful

The tricky thing is how much will you get for it in 2 years time with 130/140k miles on the clock. My guess is less than half of what the dealer is looking for it now so it might not be worth buying it for only 2 years.

I think if you are going to buy this car then you probably need to drive it into the ground to get value out of it. People have a thing about cars with 100k+ miles on the clock whether petrol or diesel and this effects resale value. You will get 200k+ miles out of that car no problem but as a trade-in it will be worth scrapage allowance. It might be better holding it for 4 years or so imo.

The fact that the dealer is giving a 12 month warranty with it is a major plus point. If you do buy it make sure the timing belt has been changed or should be due a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ford_Focus_Man

Already asked about the Timing belt.

It's a chain & doesnt need to be changed until it stars rattling apparently.

Dont know much about chains tbh.

Cheers for ur advice mate,
    Wont be making a decision till monday

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

14K is a bit steep wouldn't you think? You can get a 115bhp Zetec with 31,000 on the clock for €15,750
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=388672

MOst garages won't give good trade ins for an ex taxi, and you have to declare it when trading in.

Mondeos don't exactly hold their value too well, and one with 100k can't be worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€14k is way too much
    passed it onto a taxi driver 9months ago, who then clock 45k on it

Alarm bells ringing. Why is the taxi driver selling it so soon?

Advertisement