Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets broandband and rewiring!!!

Options
  • 01-04-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I have read all the previous threads on wiring up extra sockets, none seem to relate to me.

here is the set-up in the house (~40 years old).

In the hall is a small old grey box (~ 2" x 2") with a flip cover (old "master socket"??)Inside is 4 screws, one at each corner. A small cable runs inside with 4 wires (green,black, white?,orange?) only the white and orange are connected to a screw. Directly from the 2 screws runs 2 aluminium (solid)wires to the first socket, a cream telecom eireann socket with a screw on the front. Inside the aluminium wires run to L1 and L2 (left hand side). on the other side is connected what looks like copper bell wire (i.e. cable that contains lots of smal copper wires). These run to another socket which is like the ones you buy in atlantic or woodies and the wires are connected to the red and green.

The two sockets work fine. But.......

Am gettitig broandband in and have the feeling there may be problems!!i.e poor speed etc.... do I need a new "master socket"? Will eircom replace it and how much usually?

At the moment using dial up and have to connect/unconnect the modem lead each time otherwise if i forget to unplug after comp shut down , nobody can ring the house (not even an engaged tone!)

Any help advce much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

You may need a new box and ercom should provide; but if the dial up works and you get above 35kbits per sec regularly, you should be fine.
    The modem problem won't happen using broadband as the broadband modem doesn't take the line off the hook.
    Sounds like your present modem just hangs.
    Out with the old in with the new.
    Overall I'd say you should be fine.

Advertisement