Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studio Moniters

• 01-04-2006 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

lookin for some decent moniters, i got a new comp with the smallest speakers and not really sure what to get, any recomendations or advice?

nothin too pricey really

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

How much are you willing to spend? I got a pair of active Alesis M1 from Thomann a while back and they sound amazing. Dunno if you want to spend that much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Not to sure depends really, i dont really have any idea what the standard price is =/ 100 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

The Alesis M1 actives are available from some English site for a £105 I think, saw it advertised in SOS magazine. You won't beat that price. It might have been either turnkey or dolphinmusic.

-=al=- wrote:
    Not to sure depends really, i dont really have any idea what the standard price is =/ 100 or so?
    Um... For a decent set of budget monitors you'd be looking at €250-400 minimum usually.

Al if you can find the M1's for £105 then get them, you won't find anything as good remotely near that price.

• Advertisement

Damnit! why does everything have to be so expensive :mad:

what about roalnd or m audio speakers anything good about them?

Roland/m-audio are cheap and not very good. Get a pair of Samson's Tannoy's Alesis' or Behringer Truths if you're on a budget but dont want budget sounding monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

They're grand for what they are. I firmly believe that you need to move some air to get a full bass sound, and those wee woofers won't shift much. Look at the Tannoy reveals or the Behringer truths for a few bob more.

Note - you have 2 active monitors and one passive there - the alesis will sound better, but you'll have to buy an amp too. Both the speakers I quoted above come in passive and active. You could also look at hi-fi amps and speakers - cash converters/ebay/buy&sell will get you some high quality cheap kit. They'll normally have a non-flat EQ to give the sound of the brand, and to be aesthetically pleasing (typically bump the his and los and scoop the mids - smiley EQ). Flat EQ actually sounds BAD until you learn it's telling you the truth. Examine 10 boomboxes - how many will have the bass boost turned off? Maybe one, 'cos they think they are making the bass louder. Yes, but they are making everything else relatively quieter. Anyway, you didn't ask for this, but I'm not deleting it after going to the trouble of typing it :)

Final note - you could spend the same money on a set of audiophile headphones - AKG, Audiotechnica, Sennheiser. €150 worth of headphones will sound far better than €150 worth of desktop monitor. Of course you'll be more prone to ear fatigue - don't wear them too loud for too long. Also they exagerate stereo spread so you'd need to check your mixes on other systems, but you should be doing that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭madness

Hi,i use yamaha msp 5 A monitors with my digital recorder,the sound is brilliant and im sure they will do the the same with comp recording,they retail near the 500 euro mark but are a very good investment,as they say:you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

The msp5s are clear but light on low end. Depending on the sytle of music you're playing you might end up overcompensating and adding extra low end in just because of the yamaha's poor response in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

My 2 cents: I've got a pair of Tapco S5 active bi-amplified monitors (about €350 from ebay). Found them excellent for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Behringer Truths get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Doctor J wrote:
    Al if you can find the M1's for £105 then get them, you won't find anything as good remotely near that price.

Would these be them??

That's them alright, although they appear to be the passive version. You'd need an amp to power those, the active ones can run from a line out. You know where I am if you want to hear them in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Cheers man. Ah it'll be a while before I'll need them...too much stuff to buy before that :D

Might be of some interest to the OP though

Advertisement