Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeview tv

• 01-04-2006 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hi all, i'm confused so i hope someone can enlighten me here.......
    i'm going to buy a 37 inch lcd tv, hd ready, and a dvd hd recorder with hdmi .
    ok, so i've been looking at various models and some have analogue and some have digital tuners, whats the difference, which is better? also some have freeview, what is this? I will be using the devices with NTL digital as well as the ordinary tv broadcasts. Digital tuners and freeview seem more expensive but are they of use to me ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Freeview is a digital TV service broadcast as a normal terrestrial signal, so you just need an aeriel. The catch is that this is a UK broadcast, and while it maybe available in some areas close to NI it's not applicable here.

So NO - don't spend any extra money for a digtal tuner as the bleeding government here have no plans for Digital terrestrial TV in the near future.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DTT trials are supposedly beginning later this year on a few RTE transmitters. Though, with regards a timeline after the trials, God only knows :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

They'll have to make it high-definition while they're at it, or it'll be outdated the moment it's switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭seph

thanks for all replies,
    ok.........so.......I cant use this freeview thingy and I dont need or cant use the digital tuners that some tvs and dvd recorders carry ?
    also while i'm on a roll, if I want to record and watch tv at the same time on different channels do I need twin tuners on my recorder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes, you need twin tuners to watch one station and record another.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement