Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 will read audio cd's but nothing else ???

• 01-04-2006 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have been getting disc read error when trying to load games and dvd's

today i got a cd lens cleaner and ran it. It picked up the cd fine and recognised all the tracks on it.

any ideas what could be happening

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sounds like your laser is gone, common problem for PS2's. It easier for them to read CD's so games/DVD are normally the first to stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

should i bother trying to fix it or should i pick up a second hand slimline ps2 for about €80 ??

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It can often be very expensive to fix, upwards of 80e. Get a lens cleaner from HMV or somewhere and run that through it, it may do the job for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

grahamor wrote:
    should i bother trying to fix it or should i pick up a second hand slimline ps2 for about €80 ??

thanks

happened to me many moons ago. only fix was getting a new ps2. tbh at this stage you'd be better off either buying a second hand one on the cheap or holding out until november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

This is very common with PS2s. They can get away with building them like that because they know you'll just buy another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Do all PS2's play DVD's? Mine plays PS2 games no problem but when I tried a DVD nothing happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

daveg wrote:
    Do all PS2's play DVD's? Mine plays PS2 games no problem but when I tried a DVD nothing happened?
    yup all ps2's are also dvd players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

daveg wrote:
    I believe you must unlock the ability to play DVDs because there'd be a charge for Sony if they sold the PS2 with DVD playback out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Nope, Sony were part of the DVD consortium that developed the technology, so they don't have to pay a licensing fee. MS do, hence the DVD remote being required for the XBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

The unclothed biblical chief is right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

you can pick up a laser for around 50euro including p+p off ebay (you just need to get the right type).

it's really easy to install. only takes about 15 minutes and there is very little to be opened on the ps2 - just the outer cover and the laser unit cover.

if you felt confident enough to give it a shot, its worth while, othewise you can pick up a second hand ps2 for 90 euro and under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

you can pick up a laser for around 50euro including p+p off ebay (you just need to get the right type).

it's really easy to install. only takes about 15 minutes and there is very little to be opened on the ps2 - just the outer cover and the laser unit cover.

if you felt confident enough to give it a shot, its worth while, othewise you can pick up a second hand ps2 for 90 euro and under

I got a second hand one for €20 :rolleyes: (an actual console, not a lazer.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

just do a google search for cleaning the ps2 for instructions on how to open it up if its reading anything then the lense is probably just dirty, you just need 2 size philips screw drivers and something like a q-tip to clean the lense with. I fixed a second hand one I bought that someone stuck me with by cleaning the filth out of it.

Advertisement