Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero

Options
  • 01-04-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

According to Play, this isn't supposed to be out for another week or so. But Smyths are selling it for EUR75. Picked up my copy today!

\m/,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

wellllll thats my study for my exams screwed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Which Smyths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I just got to play it this weekend, absolutely fantastic, can you buy a second guitar in smyths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Jonnybadd: The one up by Jervis. I couldn't tell you if the other brances are doing the same.

i_am_dogboy: I don't think so, I only saw that they had the guitar-and-game pack, but I could be wrong.

Gah, looks like i might have to pick up a second copy of the game to play multi player...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI, I checked Smyths in Limerick (Henry St.) and they never even heard of the game (and the guy there couldn't find it on the computer).

I thought it was an April Fool from Obey, thats why I didn't post. :)

TmB: That's why I wrote about it in my blog - with photographic evidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

I preordered on of these from Game in Dawson St. aaages ago. I think I was No. 2 on the list.

Then I went and preordered one from play.com aswell

and I've a few more games and DVDs ordered due out this week.

Just as I clear me credit card. This game had better live up to the hype!

Its not in Smyths on Childers Road either.
    The guy there says that if they did break the release date, someone in Jervis St. is going be crucified.....

It's in jervis street smyths, but there definitely are no guitars on their own. Not in gamestop on henry street either, so we can safely assume it's not available outside that one smyths toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You probably wont get your hands on standalone guitars for months - the reason for the scarcity of stock is because they can't manufacture guitars quick enough, something to do with Sony having very stringent rules regarding the quality of peripherals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Drat, Jervis have taken them off the shelves. I'll have to wait till Friday so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Tell someone in Jervis if they don't sell you one, you'll report them for selling some before the release date and they'll be lumped with a horrendous fine. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I managed to snaffle an early copy too, wow, this thing is nuts!
    I get a really nice Frequency/Beatmania buzz from it, and a hint of Donkey Konga thrown on for good measure.
    Only problem, the skull and cross bones in the sticker set is a bit lame, not bad as the only complaint!
    Its not due out til the weekend, Gamestop should have 10/20 per shop, intially anyway, 79.99 a head, just go in and stick a deposit down, reckon this one will be hard to find in years to come.
    Wonder when the Irish Country and Western edition will be out? "YOU TOO CAN BE HUGO DUNCAN/A MEMBER OF DANIEL O'DONNELLS BACKING BAND" My Gods, it would seel itself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was in for the xtra vision sale in the local shop and they had finally started selling them. Picked up my copy and will be jamming away on it soon. Only 74.99 in xtravision as opposed to gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Wait a miniute, what the hell guitars and video games???????can someone exaplain the ins and outs of this game, i play guitar and this seems promising

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Patricide wrote:
    Wait a miniute, what the hell guitars and video games???????can someone exaplain the ins and outs of this game, i play guitar and this seems promising
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I like the sound of it, would have to play it before i made up me mind though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Loving it so far. Don't know if I'll be able to hack the higher difficulty levels. I'm really clumsy with it. Anyone else getting tunnel vision from concentrating so much. The loading screens look like they are warping after playing :)

Love the sticker set for customising your guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

man im so bitchin at guitar this one should be a breeze ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Over here they've got Guitar Freaks, part of the Beatmania series, in the arcades and it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on, makes me tempted to go out and buy a PS2 just to play it.

What's the song line-up like for Guitar Hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

1. Opening Licks
    • I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    • I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
    • Thunder Kiss 65 - White Zombie
    • Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
    • Infected - Bad Religion
    2. Axe-Grinders
    • Iron Man - Black Sabbath
    • More Than a Feeling - Boston
    • You Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
    • Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
    • Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
    3. Thrash And Burn
    • Killer Queen - Queen
    • Hey You - The Exies
    • Stellar - Incubus
    • Heart Full of Black - Burning Brides
    • Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth
    4. Return of the Shred
    • Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
    • Fat Lip - Sum 41
    • Cochise - Audioslave
    • Take It Off - The Donnas
    • Unsung - Helmet
    5. Fret-Burners
    • Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix
    • Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    • No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
    • Ace Of Spades - Motörhead
    • Crossroads - Cream
    6. Face-Melters
    • Godzilla - Blue Öyster Cult
    • Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
    • Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group
    • Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
    • Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne
    Bonus Tracks
    • Fire It Up - Black Label Society
    • Cheat on the Church - Graveyard BBQ
    • Caveman Rejoice - The Bags
    • Eureka I've Found Love - The Upper Crust
    • All of This - Shaimus
    • Behind The Mask - Anarchy Club
    • The Breaking Wheel - Artillery
    • Callout - The Acro-brats
    • Decontrol - Drist
    • Even Rats - The Slip
    • Farewell Myth - Made in Mexico
    • Fly On The Wall - Din
    • Get Ready 2 Rokk - Freezepop
    • Guitar Hero - Monkey Steals the Peach
    • Hey - Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives
    • Sail Your Ship By - Count Zero
    • Story of My Love - The Model Sons

It takes time, but once you master hammer-ons and pull-offs the more difficult levels become a lot easier. Halfway through 'medium', I thought I'd give "I wanna be sedated" a go on 'Expert'. Y'know.. to see what it was like. I didn't even get to the first verse before getting booed off stage. Now I've finished medium, am halfway through difficult and went back to the same song on 'expert' and finished it! Hooray!

Oh, and my baby finger is really strong now. It used to be like a little cripple-finger, but now it's kicking my other fingers' asses.

And yeah, I get that weird vision thing as well. My eyes are so used to seeing things scroll towards me, when I see a static screen I think it's moving up. But I guess that's why they tell you to take breaks every now and then :)

I cancelled my order online, and got it for 67.50 in Smyths (with a loyalty card). Can't wait to play it tonight....

Am I the only person to get a second copy of the game just for the multi player? I checked online the other night and I wouldn't have saved much by importing one so I just pre ordered 2 copies. Has anyone even gotten to try the multi player? I was playing last weekend with a friend who imported and I was probably the best drunken idiot game I've every played, if not it's a close second to super monkey ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭quon

nope, you're not i_am_dogboy!

I've 2 on the way to me. Guts of €150. Console didn't even cost me that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I love the advice between loading. "Always keep an empty bottle in the van. You'll see."

:)

damn this game is fun. girlfriend is on her way up to play too. wont be goin out tonight anyway:D a lot harder than i expected but hey i accept a challenge.

Breezed through easy without having to retry any songs.
    Medium is trickier... I need to work on my pinkie finger!

• Advertisement

jesus christ no one knows on medium is tough

Advertisement