Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus - Arsenal

• 01-04-2006 7:26pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Thought i'd start a thread to get all the chatter out of the PL thread...

Juve drew 0-0:
    An almost full-strength Juventus team was held by bottom of the table Treviso, but Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be in trouble. The Swede aimed some terse words at the bench after he was substituted and missed some great scoring opportunities.

Juve's team was: Buffon; Zambrotta, Kovac, Cannavaro, Chiellini; Camoranesi, Emerson, Vieira, Mutu; Ibrahimovic, Trezeguet.

Presumeably Thuram (rested) will replace Kovac, Giannichedda will replace Vieira and Nedved will replace Camoranesi. Hopefully Fabregas and Eboue will be available for l'Arse, losing them would be a blow. Ljungberg and Campbell should be available though.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Will Del Piero play you reckon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

The big question is: Will fabregas play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Roddy23 wrote:
    The big question is: Will fabregas play?
    I thought you were being sarcastic until I just saw him go off injured on MOTD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Eboue off too with ralph not back till next year, what is with Arsenal and wingbacks this season. Fabs knock did'nt seem too bad. Wenger said he was 50-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

From BBC

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger:

"Cesc's foot has blown up, that's not a good sign. It can be a vein that has exploded or it's coming from a bone."

"Eboue did his groin because he played like Garrincha on the right side and didn't stop going forward. Both are rated 40-60 for Wednesday night.

That doesnt sound too good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think they will miss the pair too badly simply because AC have to score 3 goals, they might but they'll also leave a lot of space to exploit while doing so. I'll be amazed if Henry is'nt on the scoresheet in which case game over.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

it all depends on who score first, Juventus certainly have the potential to close up shop and keep arsenal out if they get 2 or 3 goals they've been doing it all season, but the question is, with Ibrahimovich in poor form, del piero possibly injured and trezeguet needing an on form supporting striker to feed him in balls, can juventus get 2 or even 3 goals?

Just saw this on channel 4 website

Vieira wants Fab reunion at Juve
    Saturday 1 April, 2006
    Patrick Vieira has asked Juventus to reunite him with his former Arsenal midfield partner Cesc Fabregas next season.

“I would very much like to play alongside him again,” Vieira was quoted as saying in today’s ‘Corriere dello Sport’ newspaper.

The Frenchman forged a successful partnership with the teenage Spaniard at Highbury last year before accepting a move to Juventus.

Now it’s claimed that the Bianconeri have made enquiries about Fabregas to bring a little more pace and creativity into their midfield.

Fabregas impressed the Turin directors with his performance and goal in Arsenal’s 2-0 Champions League quarter-final win last week and Wednesday’s second leg will allow transfer guru Luciano Moggi to initiate negotiations.

Fabregas has a contract with Arsenal until 2011, but had been heavily linked with Real Madrid up until a few days ago.

Reports suggested he has a clause in the original move from Barcelona banning him from returning to a different Spanish club.

In a bid to cut down on the alleged £15m price-tag placed on the 18-year-old’s head, Juventus could offer David Trezeguet as part of the deal. The French hitman was a known target for Arsenal last season and would reunite with fellow countryman Thierry Henry

I hate that crap. Trying to put a player off around the time they play each other. If those quotes are true from Vieira, I would be very disappointed. Of course most teams would like to have Fabregas playing for them, but for Vieira to say that, with Arsenal playing Juve on Wednesday, just sounds like a desperate attempt to knock Fabregas' focus off the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

mike65 wrote:
    I don't think they will miss the pair too badly simply because AC have to score 3 goals, they might but they'll also leave a lot of space to exploit while doing so. I'll be amazed if Henry is'nt on the scoresheet in which case game over.

Mike.

Yes, I'm sure Arsenal will be very worried about AC Milan scoring 3 against Lyon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I feel like I'm the only person who still thinks Juve have a decent shot at going through.

They absolutely have the capability to keep a clean sheet, they have only concedded 20 goals this year in the Serie A.
    They also have an incredible potent attacking lineup, with Trez, Imbram, Nedved, and Del boy.

Arsenal still have a very young team, and the thing about young players is that one day they are magical, and the next they are decidely average, beacuse thats what young players do.

I still fancy Juve to win it, or at least sternly test Arsenal.

• Advertisement

I feel like I'm the only person who still thinks Juve have a decent shot at going through.

Dont think any Arsenal fan thinks this game is a far gone conclusion. Its only half time in the tie, I don't think I have seen too many other Arsenal fans say otherwise on here. AFAIK most of the posts that have been made saying Arsenal's name is on the cup this year have been posted from supporters from other teams.

Yes, I'm sure Arsenal will be very worried about AC Milan scoring 3 against Lyon

:o:o:o

You know which bunch of cunning Italians I meant!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, Juve will have to attack from the outset, which plays right into Arsenal's style of play - and if Arsenal get one goal, the match is over. And even if Juve can get it to 2-0, there's gonna be a lot of tired legs in their team for extra-time. This tie really is Arsenal's to lose, and I'd be pretty surprised if they did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the first half hour will be vitally important. If Juve can score within that time then their heads will go up and they will have renewed belief that they can win the tie. If Arsenal can hold them off then the heads will drop and they will become more frustrated giving Arsenal a better chance at catching Juve on the break. I think Juve will score at some stage but I think that Arsenal might get a goal as well and go through because of that goal.

I think they will miss both Fabregas and Eboue badly if they are ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thought i'd start a thread to get all the chatter out of the PL thread...

I hope you got permission.;)

Arsenal are playing really well at the moment if they can produce that form on the night they will go through.

excellent news

Just hope they can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

It's looking like Fabregas will start and Wenger reckons Eboue is 40% to start.

I'm hoping we take an attacking element into the match, if we close up shop and try and absorb the Juve attacking wave we'll get punished.

I think we'll win 1-0 with Henry scoring.

Come on the Gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

del piero is out according to the papers and fabregas and eboue both trained with the team yesterday. so looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

It's looking like Fabregas will start and Wenger reckons Eboue is 40% to start.

I'm hoping we take an attacking element into the match, if we close up shop and try and absorb the Juve attacking wave we'll get punished.

I think we'll win 1-0 with Henry scoring.

Come on the Gunners!
    when do Arsenal shut up shop? They always play to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gangsta wrote:
    when do Arsenal shut up shop? They always play to win.

They generally never shut up shop but they are quite fond of counter-attacking football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Juve have never turned over a 2-0 deficit in this competition. With Alex out they have little chance to do it for the first time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eboue is now 80% likely to start according to Arsenal.com.

The more I think about, the more part of me wants to see Campbell start alongside Senderos, with Toure on the right keeping an eye on Nedved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so is that villareal in the next round for the winner?

nipplenuts wrote:
    Juve have never turned over a 2-0 deficit in this competition. With Alex out they have little chance to do it for the first time.

your joking right?

i think it was 2 years ago, they lost to real madrid 2-0 in the first leg, and ended up beating them in extra time.

in fact I think they've done it a few times in the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think you'll find the first leg was 2-1

This is a list of all Juventus comebacks in Europe:

1964/65 Coppa Fiere Semifinale Atletico M.-Juventus 3-1 1-3
    1964/65 Coppa Fiere tie-breaker Juventus-Atletico M. 3-1

1967/68 Champions' Cup QF Eintracht B.-Juventus 3-2 0-1
    1967/68 Champions' Cup tie-breaker Juventus-Eintracht B. 1-0

1972/73 Champions' Cup 16F O.Marseille-Juventus 1-0 0-3

1974/75 UEFA Cup 32F Vorwaerts-Juventus 2-1 0-3

1975/76 Champions's Cup 16F CSKA-Juventus 2-1 0-2

1976/77 UEFA Cup 32F Manchester City-Juventus 1-0 0-2

1976/77 UEFA Cup 16F Manchester U.-Juventus 1-0 0-3

1979/80 Cup Winners' Cup Ottavi Beroe Stara Z.-Juventus 1-0 0-3 dts

1981/82 Champions's Cup 16F Celtic-Juventus 1-0 0-2

1988/89 UEFA Cup 32F Oteul Galati-Juventus 1-0 0-5

1992/93 UEFA Cup QF Benfica-Juventus 2-1 0-3

1995/96 Champions League QF Real Madrid-Juventus 1-0 0-2

2002/03 Champions League SF Real Madrid-Juventus 2-1 1-3

2004/05 Champions League 8F Real Madrid-Juventus 1-0 0-2 dts

2005/06 Champions League 8F Werder Bremen-Juventus 3-2 1-2

sorry, i think was the key word there, i reckon they could do it but not with capello he doesnt like taking chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I hate when people compare a teams chances of doing something with teams from previous years. Just because that is something that has never happened to Juve, I think they have as much a chance to come back as any other team would have. It's about what happens in the 90+ minutes, not over the past 50 years or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I hate when people compare a teams chances of doing something with teams from previous years. Just because that is something that has never happened to Juve, I think they have as much a chance to come back as any other team would have. It's about what happens in the 90+ minutes, not over the past 50 years or something.

True to an extent however a record like that could stick in the minds of the Juve player hence effecting their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont think the track record will cross their minds. Records like that are made to be broken.

However, what will be crossing their minds is how outplayed they were towards the end of the 1st leg, and how many of their star players they are missing. 2-0, in these terms is the proverbial mountain to climb. It is of course not impossible but it will depend on who gets the first goal, and when.

All betting money is on Arsenal.

I hope that Juve get a goal so that we can see a real match, like last nights Milan - Lyon. Lyon were unlucky to go out, btw.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Oh man, this is Arsenal's biggest game in as long as I can remember. I'm completely cacking myself about it. If they go out I would... I don't know what would happen but it wouldn't be good.

Don't even want to think about it, i was never more pissed off than 2 years at this stage, don't want to feel the same again.

I'm completely cacking myself about it.
    ditto

I fell if we can play like we did last week, we'll defo go through, but juve will be all out for the early goal. If they get it, that 2-0 win last week could go out the window.

Prediction: 1:1, Juve will use the ref to their advantage, but if we can get a goal, the tie will be over IMO.

2 years ago, if we go out like that tonight, won't be best pleased. :mad:

Any news on Eboue and Cesc playing, havent heard a word.

Fabs is almost certain, Eboue is 30-70 last i read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Score draw I think.

Really excited about this game. the first 20 minutes will be important. if they can keep Juve at bay for that length of time then the momentum will slip away from them. Henry is on fire and he is sure to score or do something noteworthy anyway.

Not there by any means but come on the gunners!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

nipplenuts wrote:
    I think you'll find the first leg was 2-1

This is a list of all Juventus comebacks in Europe:

1964/65 Coppa Fiere Semifinale Atletico M.-Juventus 3-1 1-3
    1964/65 Coppa Fiere tie-breaker Juventus-Atletico M. 3-1

perhaps not 2-0. but 2 goal deficits have been achieved as shown above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

True to an extent however a record like that could stick in the minds of the Juve player hence effecting their game.
    I'm sure every player is just thinking about what they have to do. If they can get an early goal, anything can happen. That said, if arsenal score.........

Lehmann,
    Eboue, Toure, Senderos, Flamini
    Hleb, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Fabregas, Reyes,
    Henry

Subs: Almunia, Diaby, Pires, van Persie, Song, Campbell, Wallcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Arsenal to score and go through. 2-2 is a good bet I think. Henry to score first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus dreadful tackle by Flamini on Nedved, he should have gone for that.

Luckly Juventus didn't score!!!

• Advertisement

Eboue was very lucky not to get a red for that elbow. If nedved was like most players he would've goen down like a sack of potatoes and got eboue sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I cannot believe how bad Juve are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

dirty arsenal up to some tricks and getting away with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

I thought the commentators should be unbiased.

Liam Brady WTF ???

Eboue was very lucky not to get a red for that elbow. If nedved was like most players he would've goen down like a sack of potatoes and got eboue sent off.

Yep he was blessed as well.

Arsenal not playing well at all. Especially Gilberto and Hleb who have done nothing but give the ball away.

(As for Brady he is on the Arsenal staff :D)

gandalf wrote:
    (As for Brady he is on the Arsenal staff :D)

Precisely my point !

I give up on Jeventus though; midfield is just not there.

Probably another 2 - 0 win on the night for Arsenal <shaking head>

Arsenal are playing like Liverpool did in the same game last season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

well they have done what they needed to do at home now they see juve are terrible tonight so just hold off.

althought couldve been a goal at either end there that would have changed it all.

Jaysus chances at both ends!!!

God I am sick with the nerves at the moment.....

They are having a walk in the park; so relaxed.

I can see Man U having a great chance in the weekend. Just watch the midfield, not making themselves available. Backline resorting to long balls (how many off sides has Nedved had ? )

• Advertisement
Advertisement