Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus - Arsenal

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, Arsenal go through in a match that wasnt entertaining, but these matches just have to be played through.

Juventus, still suffering very badly from the first match "mind demolition" didnt put it up to them at all. They had a few chances, but they created very little. Arsenal had as many chances. Ibramovich was woeful. And Nedved didnt get going, eventually letting his frustrations felt. A couple of good saves by Buffon and Lehman, and that was it.

Arsenal did what they had to do, and Juventus were just going through the motions. This game needed Juventus to score to at least make it a proper game, but that never came. Juventus were very lethargic and their play had no fluency with play breaking up, etc.

That is the nature of 2-legged football.

Overall, well done to Arsenal. I understand its the furthest they have ever got in the top European club competition. And playing against Villareal gives them a real chance. But they are by no means through.

Barcelona should be the team that will meet them there. But anythng can happen in football at the semi-final stage. AC, should be up for it and wont be favourites for once which will suit them for a change.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Also, was Giles on drugs? I never really respected his opinions but tonight he was taking the biscuit. Barcelona aren't a good team but they're probably the best team in the CL... Arsenal didn't have a plan on the ball... Strachan never wanted Keane...

I do have a lot of time for Johnny's opinions. However, last night I agree that he was going over the top and I also though his negativity was strange to say the least.

He surely must have seen matches like these before from Juventus, in fact their match against Liverpool last season was the same type of match and they and other teams have performances like this for decades. So saying that it was the worst team ever isnt looking at the whole picture. This team were already beaten in their minds, so the match in itself didnt matter. He also gave out about Arsenal but they did what they had to do.

I didnt catch what he said about Barcelona and Keane, I didnt watch all of the analysis, but he was in a very pessimistic mood last night for whatever reason, and it probably had nothing to do with football. Maybe its something to do with RTE and the world cup and his schedule ?!?! Or maybe he is just taking a leaf out of Dunphy's repetoire, exagerrating bad and good whenever it occurs.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I have to say and I'm blaming both teams here. For this level of football, apparently the best 8 teams on the continent that match was an absolute disgrace. People in the game are complaining about fans turning away and tv audiences down? Can you blame us? Neither team could string anything together and they should be ashamed of themselves looking back on that game.

Now as a Milan fan I was quite happy to see Juve go out. I have always said this season take away the dodgy decisions (followers of seria a will know what I mean) and Juve are 3rd at best. They made a show of themselves and a show of the league in which they play in. After the damage that Juve did last night hopefully now Milan can hit the high gears that they did against Bayern and recover from the damage Juve inflicted on the league last night.

I feel cheated after watching that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched most of the match, wasn't impressed with either team tbh, was the first leg much better?

Yep from my point of view the first leg was excellent. Arsenal were awesome in the first leg, one their best displays in years (although they should have scored more). Juventus were just as crap as they were last night and had 2 sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Juve should change their name to Poove, they were sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Juve should change their name to Poove, they were sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Just in case you missed it... Arsenal are through to the semi final, not the final.

Correct but who do you think will get through between
    Arsenal and Villareal? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

okidoki987 wrote:

dont count your chickens just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

okidoki987 wrote:

This will be the most difficult game so far. I'd rather be playing Inter than Villareal, would be an easier game IMO. Villareal are a very good side, wouldn't be in the semi-final if they were not. You only have to look at their record over the last few years. They won the inter-toto in 2003 and 2004, were semi-finalists in UEFA cup in 2004, losing to Valencia and finished 3rd in La Liga last season. In Europe they have only lost once at home in 18 games and they kept 14 clean sheets in those and overall they have only lost 5 out of 36 games. This is not the formality that alot of people are expecting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

okidoki987 wrote:
    Just for that comment I hope that you get tickets to the final and Arsenal don't get through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't see how anyone can blame Arsenal for not playing attacking football last night. The onus was on Juventus to take the game to the Arse, when they failed so miserably, why did Arsenal need to expose themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

okidoki987 wrote:
    They're probably not a big name but the team is full of internationals. Sorin, Rodriguez, Figueroa, Arruabarrena and Riquelme are all Argentinian internationals. Tacchinardi has played quite a bit for Italy. Forlan and Viera are regulars for Uruguay. A few players, some of which can't even get into the team, have been capped by Spain.

They're a fantastic team. They went 18 consecutive European games against teams including Galatasaray, Roma, Celtic, Valencia, Athletico Madrid, Middlesbrough between 2003-2005 without conceding 1 goal at home. It took a team that'd score against anyone to break that run, AZ Alkmaar. :) They play lovely football and it should be a cracking match. atm though, I'd say its maybe 55-45 in favour of Arsenal going through. I wouldn't count on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Just for that comment I hope that you get tickets to the final and Arsenal don't get thro

:D

I only asked who do you think will get through.....;)
    Obviously being a Gooner, I hope Arsenal do and having played Rreal Madrid and Juve and getting through against both of them, it would be a MAJOR disappointment if they didn't get into the Final.
    Yes Villareal have done well to get to the Semi but Arsenal are playing well enough to beat most teams at the moment. :rolleyes:
    One problem may be Arsenal have to play Spurs in between the
    2 semi final matches! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Arsenal are clearly favourites to get past Villareal, not only from the betting public (see below) but also from any half-decemt analysis and within the hearts and minds of players and staff alike at both Villareal and Arsenal.

There are no easy games however and anything can happen of course, which is what makes football, football. Players can play above themselves, an incident,a foul, a handball or decision can turn a match, etc, etc.

Punters and Paddy Power reckon:

Arsenal 4 - 9
    Villareal 13 - 8

which is quite clear cut. A spanish betting website may tell a different tale.

and for the outright winning of it:

Barcelona 11 - 8
    Arsenal 11 - 5
    AC Milan 11 - 4
    Villarreal 13 - 2

Paddypower has been right before, but he is never always right!

redspider

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done Arsenal, had work done in 1st leg and grinded out last nite.

I would expect that Arsenal have too much for Villareal but having seen Villareal against United this season they are a hard working team which Arsenal on past history dont like.

I expect Barca to sneak the other one, Milan are very old at the back but Barca are not hectic either.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Happy days, go on the Gunners. Wasn't the best of a match last night, but I thought Arsenal played very well as a team, defensively sound, and going forward maybe they should have taken at least one of their chances, although I thought Buffon, showed his class yet again.

So onto Villareal in the next round. This Arsenal team that was written off,only at Christmas, has started to click, and hopefully if we put in a very good performance at home in the first leg, we should have some sort of advantage built up, to take to Spain. Villareal are a very good team, as Wenger pointed out, they are in a very similiar position to ourselves. So all is a set for a cracking Semi- final and I just hope I'll still be wearing this smile come the end of April.

Advertisement