Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Kill Moss

Options
  • 01-04-2006 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I was out doing the garden today - first time this year. I noticed loads of moss growing among the grass. Theres quite a bit of it.

How do I kill it off - whats the best stuff to use. I know that some weedkillers don't kill moss.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Drug overdose.... ooooooooooh...the other moss...

Well aerated soil in direct sun will seldom have a moss problem. If you can't allow for greater exposure to sunlight, then at least get out the fork & keep grass cut relatively high (2.5-3.5").

for now: rake it out or moss granuelles. But unless you do the above: you're pissing into the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

with great difficulty!! sorry been there and what Karoma says is correct, your garden must not be draining properly. we got stuff last year will ask tonight what it was called and let you know, it killed the moss and then the joy of having to remove it after much raking we bought a black anc decker thing that takes the moss out as you roll it over, and you get buckets of it, so i am now thinking of paving the lot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

There is some sort of a fertilizer powder you can get for this, you spread it on your lawn and it kills the moss, hence leaving it looking black amongst your grass. I think you rake it out then but I'm not sure, mowing the grass might take it out because it will then be loose. I'm not sure of the name of it but can find out. Your local DIY store should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think it may be a combination of drainage and lack of direct sunlight. Will try as suggested and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

faigs wrote:
    There is some sort of a fertilizer powder you can get for this, you spread it on your lawn and it kills the moss, hence leaving it looking black amongst your grass. I think you rake it out then but I'm not sure, mowing the grass might take it out because it will then be loose. I'm not sure of the name of it but can find out. Your local DIY store should have it.

Folks at home used this a couple of years ago to kill the carpet of clover that had invaded the lawn. Ferrous Sulphate was the name, from what I remember. Lawn had lots of dark patches for months afterwards.

Didn't work, at least not with the amount of lawn that had been affected by it over several years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

Had the same difficulty. Used the stuff that made it black raked it out as per instructions and back again. kaoroma, surely you mean cut grass tight to allow direct sunlight. The damage done to my grass is during the winter due to high hedges and damp weather but in the summer the sun is on the grass for 9 hours a day, sth-west. I think one of my problems is that i dont cut the grass enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I spent hours today prodding the grass with the fork - blisters and all!!! In the process I found a manhole that was covered by grass! I'll see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice folks.

Advertisement