Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router help needed please.

Options
  • 01-04-2006 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some help please trying to put two computers on my utv broadband line. My connection works perfect with the voyager 205 adsl router but I just bought a netgear wireless router and cant get the two to work.

I have the line coming from the filter at my phone socket into the voyager, I have an ethernet cable then coming from the ethernet port on the voyager into the internet port on the netgear. Then ethernet cable from lan 1 on the netgear into the back of the computer. Im totally new to this so where am I going wrong. Just thinking about it on the instructions with the netgear it says plug the modem into the netgear .... is the voyager a modem or another router and if it is a router is it possible to plug one router into another like this ? Secondly if not, is it possible to just plug the cable into the back of the netgear (through some kind of plug adapter) and bypass the voyager and would it work like that?

The netgear is a wgr614 v6, I was planning on hard wiring one computer into it and setting up a wireless one for upstairs. Any help or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you are correct,
    the 205 is a router, not a moder.
    as such you need to set the 205 up in "bridging" mode
    check the manual or google for the steps as im not familiar with how to do it for that particular router

an adpter is not availble for "adsl" to "ethernet",
    well it is, but its called an adsl mode/router ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

try pluging an ethernet port from you modem to an ethernet port on the wireless router this is the easiest way to sort out bridging prbolems

if your setup is like this which i think is the way you described it
    dsl modem to wireless router then to lan clients

problem with this is the wireless router is probable an dhcp server as well as the dsl modem

try and have it like this
    dsl modem to lan clients
    turn of the dhcp on the wireless router!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

cheers lads for the speedy replies no doubt its gonna be a late one :D , ill mess around with it a bit more thanx once again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

thanks subway that bridging worked fine in the end, next job now is to set up the wireless end of it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement