Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the landlord?

Options
  • 02-04-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is renting a room in an appartment. The appartment is let by the owner to one main tenant via an agency. My friend has a verbal contract with this main tenant for the one room, but has never talked to or even knows the owner. He pays his rent monthly to the main tenant.
    Who is the landlord for my friend in regards to rent relief and rent book? Is it the owner of the apartment or the main tenanat?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mdebets wrote:
    A friend of mine is renting a room in an appartment. The appartment is let by the owner to one main tenant via an agency. My friend has a verbal contract with this main tenant for the one room, but has never talked to or even knows the owner. He pays his rent monthly to the main tenant.
    Who is the landlord for my friend in regards to rent relief and rent book? Is it the owner of the apartment or the main tenanat?
    Thanks
    The owner is the landlord unless the main tenant is allowed to sub-let, which I doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The owner of the property is not necessarily your friend's landlord, from the few details you have given here it is quite possible that the Landlord is not aware of the person with whom he/she signed a lease subletting the property. If the property is sublet without the knowledge/consent of the landlord, it is quite probable that the terms of the original lease signed by the original tenant and the landlord are void. Is there any proof that the money your friend is paying for the room is going to the Landlord at all?

Irrespective of the cloudiness of the situation- your friend does have rights, which include the provision of a rent book etc. If he/she contacts Threshold with the details of the case they would be better able to advise on a course of action.

Advertisement