Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest talent wasters ever!

• 02-04-2006 2:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

Kluivert would be one straight off. Any more?

And yes there are loads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Gazza, should have achieved so much more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Kluivert

Honours
    Ajax

Dutch Supercup 1994, 1995
    Dutch Championships 1994/95, 1995/96
    UEFA Champions League Winner 1994/95
    European Super Cup 1995
    Intercontinental Cup 1995
    FC Barcelona

Spanish First Division Champion 1998/99
    Netherlands

Euro 2000 - Joint top scorer
    All-time leading goal scorer (40 as of May 1, 2004)

he'd done it all by the time he was 25. i think he might have lost interest tbh.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anelka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My point exactly with Kluivert. He could have been amazing...

Anelka.

Never liked him, but seemed to score a load of goals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tony Sheridan.
    Stan Collymore.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Anelka:

PSG -> Arsenal -> Real Madrid -> Liverpool -> Man City -> Fenerbahce. He's 27.

jamie redknapp - through no fault of his own really. injured knees killed his career

Harry Kewell a candidate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Georgi Kinkladze, fantastic player.

• Advertisement

Wait! Has to be Matt le Tiss! Could have been a god of football.

Harry Kewell a candidate?

ask a couple of everton fans :p

I'd say Le Tiss would not have been as good at any other club..the fact he was at Soton (around bad players) made him look better and also he played for the club.

For the same reason i reckon Gerrard would not have been as good if he had have gone to Chelsea (luv for l'pool - dunno y!)

I vaguely remember him destroying United when I was a kid, and when we were the best... Made him seem frighteningly good. Bit of a ledge and all that.

I like to forget that game....! He was a ledge though

6-3 wasn't it? Oh God why can't I forget!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Paul Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

EL: Marc Kenny and Tony Sheridan

Lee Trundle? (lack of ambition!)

Juniho (from celtic and Boro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wait! Has to be Matt le Tiss! Could have been a god of football.

Eh wtf?

http://file006.bebo.com/large/2006/03/04/12/17155089a368501554b549794717l.jpg
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    I'd say Le Tiss would not have been as good at any other club..the fact he was at Soton (around bad players) made him look better and also he played for the club.

Yeah thats it... :rolleyes: Jeez lads this is nonsense!
    6-3 wasn't it? Oh God why can't I forget!?

Featuring one of the greatest lobs of all time!

http://www.saintsforever.com/Images/animan1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Nwanko Kanu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Le Tiss would be 1st on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

George Best?
    Maradona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    Le Tiss would be 1st on my list.

Typical "big club" mentality. The guy stays at one club, keeps them in the Premiership year after year after year, scores 200+ goals, becomes the most loved player by a set of fans probably anywhere in England, and is called a "talent waster". Apparently you have to move to a bigger club for people to appreciate you.

Jesus Christ, some people...

Matt Le Tissier is a ****ing GOD

Ronaldo? Kewell? Totti? Del Piero? Giggs? Collymore? Fowler? There's so many players who could have been so much better than they were. Thinking in Irish terms. McPhail? Thornton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep, he is a magical player, but he wasted his potential. He could have been one of the greats, one of the best players to ever have played football, but instead he stayed at Southampton, never made it properly into the england team, and basically was happy just to play for his magic goals.
    Which is good for him, every body respects him for it, but it was still a waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Well, if it's on a t-shirt.........

Has to be Shearer for me. What has he...........1 medal in his career?
    Fowler?

Fowler has now scored more goals for Liverpool than Kenny Dalglish, would that not put him in the list too so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Surprised no ones mentioned Del Piero, wasn't his fault, but he was on his way to becoming one of the greatest players of world football today when he got that injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Giggs?
    What?? Find a list of all his honours. And he was there year in, year out. Scorer of one of the best FA Cup goals ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by Stekelly

Has to be Shearer for me. What has he...........1 medal in his career?

Are you joking? The title says "biggest talent wasters ever". Shearer has scored more PL goals than anyone else, is that wasting talent? He's also played at the top level with England in Euro '96 (where I think he was top scorer if not near it), World Cup '98 and Euro 2000. He also captained his country. And he was the first player since Greaves to score 30 league goals in two consecutive league seasons.

Medals has nothing to do with it. Shearer is a top player and always has been. He may have won nothing at Newcastle but he might as well be a god in that town. Some players would take that, the love of their fans, more than any medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Lee Sharpe
    Keith Gillespie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Half naming players who never played enough due to personal issues Paul Byrne Gazza, proper talent wasters other half naming legends, Le Tiss Del Piero Juninho

:confused:

I would go with Paul Byrne or Brendan Markey.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Laurent Robert,
    Hugo Viana,
    Antonio Cassano,
    Adrian Mutu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Ger Mccarty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

giggs in terms of he was seen as the new best and in previous years has been very inconsistent...but at the same time has built a longer career and more honours then best so while I dont think he is a talent waster I dont think we have seen the best of him consistantly. ie has never won european/world footballer of the year...ability wise he should have at some point

evilhomer wrote:
    Laurent Robert,
    Hugo Viana,
    Antonio Cassano,
    Adrian Mutu!

hes only 22 he can still easily reach his potenial

• Advertisement

How can Giggs be even mentioned in this?

btw, Mutu is about 27, def not 22

Is waste of talent defined as playing for 15 years at a top club, or not playing for 15 years at a top club when you should have?

Paul Byrne for example didnt play where he should have due to beer, Ryan Giggs has like 7 PL medals a Cl medal and 4 Fa cups, how the **** is that a waste of talent? Del Piero also has a lot of medals and when fit is played for Juve.

Gazza also should have played more but beer wasted his talent, Best also beer monster. Des Byrne had social issues and possibly the best player i ever seen for St Pats and he was far too good for the league. Markey also class player with issues.

What is a waste of talent? A bitter fans view of a player who has played at the top level for their entire careers, or a player who hasnt when they should have?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Fowler?

you don't become liverpool's 5th highest goal scorer by wasting talent
    would've scored a lot more were it not for some injuries, and houllier

maybe you meant his international potential..?

far as i know cassano is still young

eyerer wrote:
    y

far as i know cassano is still young

24 and playing for Real Madrid, waster tbh :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:
    btw, Mutu is about 27, def not 22

sorry meant cassano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

KdjaC wrote:
    24 and playing for Real Madrid, waster tbh :rolleyes:

kdjac

what are you quoting me for?
    i didn't say he wasted his talent

I meant Giggs has never scaled the heights that he's promised. He's had a wonderful career but you just get the feeling that it could have been so much better. I know part of this is down to his injuries and the fact he lost alot of his pace so early in his career, but since 1999, has he really had a consistently excellent season, i don't think so?
    Fowler was a waste of talent as he spent what should have been his peak years struggling at Leeds and Man City when maybe if he continued on in the same vein as he started he could have achieved huge things both at club level and at international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Gary Breen tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Steve Bull.

Pigman II wrote:
    Steve Bull.

Steve Bull would be the captain a 'waste of talent 11'. Felt david kelly for ireland wasnt ever given a fair run out with any club.

Was going to say Henrik Larsson but he could still end up winning CL. hope he doesnt though.

Justin Fashanu, Lee Hughes and Stan Collymore would be 3 more i suppose to add to the list.

Lee Sharpe and Keith Gillespie also as somneone said.

John Devine for arsenal of the late 70s quit soccer for an unknown reason too didnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Shaun Wright Philips- I know he is still young but I think that even if he does leave Chelsea in the summer his career may have suffered an awful lot of damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lemlin wrote:
    Are you joking? The title says "biggest talent wasters ever". Shearer has scored more PL goals than anyone else, is that wasting talent? He's also played at the top level with England in Euro '96 (where I think he was top scorer if not near it), World Cup '98 and Euro 2000. He also captained his country. And he was the first player since Greaves to score 30 league goals in two consecutive league seasons.

Medals has nothing to do with it. Shearer is a top player and always has been. He may have won nothing at Newcastle but he might as well be a god in that town. Some players would take that, the love of their fans, more than any medal.

Yes, his talent was wasted because he didnt use it to win anything He was happy to go to thehighest bidder rather than the most successfull club and win things.

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes, his talent was wasted because he didnt use it to win anything He was happy to go to thehighest bidder rather than the most successfull club and win things.
    I don't think, he just went to the highest bidder, I think he went for love of the club, which is the reason why Le Tissier always remained at Southhampton and i don't think you can critisice the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

PHB wrote:
    Yep, he is a magical player, but he wasted his potential. He could have been one of the greats, one of the best players to ever have played football, but instead he stayed at Southampton, never made it properly into the england team, and basically was happy just to play for his magic goals.
    Which is good for him, every body respects him for it, but it was still a waste of talent.
    Ah yes. Single handedly ensuring the survival of a struggling club in one of the supposed top leagues in the world over a number of years is a waste of talent if ever I saw one! If only he'd been more motivated, fgot a dream move to Man Utd and had a medal or two to hang on his wall! Then his talent wouldn't have been watsed and he'd be recognised as one of the best players ever! :rolleyes:

It's a sad day when you fail to realise that to Matt Le Tissier, and any breed of talented player like him, surviving relegation with the club you love was worth as much, if not more than, a trophy. He's still one of the footballers I've had most pleasure watching. I never followed Southampton, far from it, but I used to watch games just to see him play - thats one hell of a wate of talent!

//edit: Thats not aimed directly at PHB, but in general to the idea that for your talent to have not been "wasted" you had to move to a big club and win a medal or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement