Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest talent wasters ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes, his talent was wasted because he didnt use it to win anything He was happy to go to thehighest bidder rather than the most successfull club and win things.

Are you sure Shearer went to the highest bidder. . Newcastle were his boyhood team and I,m sure that was a pretty big factor in his decision to go there. I don't believe he wasted his talent but had he made different decisions in his career he would certainly have more silverware to show it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Neither Le Tissier nor Shearer wasted their talent. Both of them became as good as they could have been as far as I'm concerned. They may not have won as many trophies as they could have, but that's not the measure of wasted talent imo.

For me, wasted talent is someone who has a gift but throws it away. Le Tissier used his talent to keep the club he loved in the top flight for years. Shearer did his utmost best to win trophies for his beloved team.

Wasted talent in my view - are the likes of Anelka, Jeffers and Pennant. Immature idiots who don't realise how lucky they are to have the talent that they have and have thrown it away. None of them have ever really fulfilled their potential or look like doing it, because they more interested in getting locked all the time/having moody strops with their manager/being primadonnas/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Adrian Mutu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Ronaldo?

This guy was the single greatest talent to kick a ball since Maradona. He had it all and now look at him. I was watching him last night and he just looked like the Marlon Brando of football.

Too much, too soon and too much pressure.The guy has fallen out of love with the game. Before anyone replys with a barrage of excuses and a list of honors let me say that he has been mostly injury free for the last few years, at an age where he should be at his peak.

His talent was squandered, be it for money or injury. Looking back on his career i would say that he could have been the greatest of all, but isn't. That is football's tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

but someone did mention him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Ronaldo had not one but two career threatening injuries right after each other. He was out for 2-3 years. They didn't think he'd play again. Its quite an accomplishment he still is, at a top level too.

I'm not sure why Ronaldo and Del Piero were mentioned, they didn't waste their talent, they both had very serious injuries early in their career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Le Tiss is a legend, and I really admire what he did at Southampton, keeping them up is a worthy achievement and something that I, and most United fans, would respect him for.

Why he wasted is talent is that he never moved onto that next level. He had the chance imo to be one of the best players ever to play for England or in the world, and he didn't take it up. He wasted his talent, never moved onto the next level, and didn't fullfill his full potential.
    Does that mean it was the wrong decesion? He is a southampton fan, and as all football fans know, you'd do the same thing, and thats great.
    Doesn't change the fact he is a wasted talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Gerbil Sissy.....most useless player to win the Champ League and that's saying something considering the squad Pool has last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fat finished Ronaldo..ah him.

How times top scorer in any league hes played in? How many goals for Brazil CL medals la liga medals and that thing every 4 years. Oh and 2 serious knee injuries, i guessing that noone has ever seen him play ie been there.
    He does nothing whatsoever lazy bastid until the ball is within 3 feet of him then hes like lighting. Vs Ireland over here he showed how to walk around the pitch and be a danger every time the ball comes near you. Scored a super goal last night too think hes Reals top scorer this season again.

Hopefully he be in the PL next year so we can agreew hes a waster.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Ronaldo - I'm not saying he wasn't (and sometimes is) a great player. I'm just saying he could have been the greatest.He's now in his sort of Elvis Flying across the country for a hambuger phase.

heres one for you, Georgi Kinkladze. very exciting player to watch. completely lost it after leaving man city.

trevor brooking is in the le tiss shearer mould in that he wouldnt go to a bigger club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

damienom wrote:
    Gerbil Sissy.....most useless player to win the Champ League and that's saying something considering the squad Pool has last year

Why dont you read the thread title or stop trolling. either one and you would make a lot of people happy!

BTW Djimi Troare is worse than DC and didn't Brian May win the CL???

Steve McManaman - could have been a legend at Liverpool but the glory of RM went to his head and then he sat on the bench for a few seasons and went to Man City....

YNWA

Is that the same Steve McManaman that scored the goal in the Champions League Final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

there are lots of bad players in good teams who've won top honours

Yeh, but how many of them scored in the champions league final? Infact, how many of them were named MOM in the champions league final.
    He played 152 games in total for Real Madrid over 4 years, although in his last year he only played 21 games, with only 9 of them from the bench I think.

He was a key part of the 99/00, 00/01, and 01/02 Real Madrid team which dominated football.

• Advertisement

Oh i wasn't replying to stevie mac, i was replying to the tread above that, i never thought stevie M was hyped up TBH, you just hit post a min before me lol

oh ok, apoligies :)
    I hated the guy, but by god, he was an incredible player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Absolutely ridiculous that Giggs is mentioned here, he never had the talent of Best so it is completely unfair to compare.

He has been a member of the most succesful man u spuad of all time and has been a consistent performer for well over a decade now. The man is a legend end of story has delivered every season since he was 17 and has scored some vital goals to boot, i.e. Juventus in CL Arsenal in FAcup,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    Why he wasted is talent is that he never moved onto that next level. He had the chance imo to be one of the best players ever to play for England or in the world, and he didn't take it up. He wasted his talent, never moved onto the next level, and didn't fullfill his full potential.

Totally disagree with this. Just because he played for Southampton all is career does not mean he wasted his talent. You dont need to play for the worlds best clubs in order to fulfill your talent. Le Tissier was a brilliant player, it doesnt matter who he played brilliant for it just mattered that he played brilliant. Fulfilling your talent is using it to play to the best of your ability. Le Tissier did this and he is an absolute legend of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Neither Le Tissier nor Shearer wasted their talent. Both of them became as good as they could have been as far as I'm concerned. They may not have won as many trophies as they could have, but that's not the measure of wasted talent imo.

For me, wasted talent is someone who has a gift but throws it away. Le Tissier used his talent to keep the club he loved in the top flight for years. Shearer did his utmost best to win trophies for his beloved team.

Wasted talent in my view - are the likes of Anelka, Jeffers and Pennant. Immature idiots who don't realise how lucky they are to have the talent that they have and have thrown it away. None of them have ever really fulfilled their potential or look like doing it, because they more interested in getting locked all the time/having moody strops with their manager/being
    primadonnas/etc.

Brilliant post imo. Says everything I wanted to say, and I'm locked!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Stekelly wrote:
    Yes, his talent was wasted because he didnt use it to win anything He was happy to go to thehighest bidder rather than the most successfull club and win things.

WRONG, Man Utd put a bigger bid on the table for him when he was moving from Blackburn but he loved Newcastle and decided to join them instead of going to Utd where at that stage he would have been guaranteed numerous medal, money had nothing to do with it but more to do with lovng his home town club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Call_me_al wrote:
    and didn't Brian May win the CL???

An astounding feat considering his big floppy hair and his Queen commitments.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Watching the match on saturday night, it was sad to see ronaldo, 2 glimpses of what he was and then he dives and stops looking for FKs, very sad to see.

Overall waster, Gazza, the guy had it all, his close control was 2nd to none, freekicks, ask David Seaman, as a gooner i hated him but had ti admire his talent. Could've been huge, but decided to be a laughing stock instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Muppet wrote:
    An astounding feat considering his big floppy hair and his Queen commitments.;)

LOL, David May!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Edmundo Alves de Souza Neto. "El Animal" was a wonderfully talented player who never fulfilled his potential. Could have been one of the stars of the game if he wasn't such a basket case! Or Darko "Il Cobra" Pančev, the spearhead of the Crvena Zvezda side that won the European cup in 91, flopped horribly when he moved to Inter and dissapeared off the footballing planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

If United had gotten Shearer in those days they would have been unstopable, I believe they would have won everything, surely Shearer must look back on his career with some regrets that he could have had more medals and that kinda thing, thats why teddy came to united, he wanted medals and he got 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Darko "Il Cobra" Pančev

The dismissal of Yugoslavia from the Euro Championships signed the end of his career in my eyes. he was the one player I wanted to see after hearing so much about him. He was a legend in Eastern Europe, went to INter but never really got a chance.....went onto some club in Germany if I remember correctly....lost track of him then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

damienom wrote:

How can you say Cisse is a talent waster? He doesn't have any talent to waste!!!

I think this thread is getting ridiculous with people having no idea what a talent waster is. Someone who wastes talent is the likes of Anelka. Lethal striker yet his head is so far up his own **** that he is going nowhere.

A talent waster is not Ryan Giggs, Alan Shearer, Matt Le Tiss or Del Piero wtf will ya come on.

I suppose we will be throwing Zidane in there as well as he hasn't won anything in a couple of years and only has 1 world cup medal and a mere handfull of league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Stekelly wrote:

He was happy to go to his childhood club and become a legend there. How exactly has he wasted his talent? He's breaken PL scoring records, was named the PL's best player ever and has broken Jackie Milburn's all-time Newcastle scoring record.

He also captained his country as I said. To even mention his name on this thread is a joke.

Big Nelly wrote:
    The dismissal of Yugoslavia from the Euro Championships signed the end of his career in my eyes. he was the one player I wanted to see after hearing so much about him. He was a legend in Eastern Europe, went to INter but never really got a chance.....went onto some club in Germany if I remember correctly....lost track of him then
    I never even heard of the lad, i looked him up he played for Inter 3 goals in 19 aps went to Germany finished up in Switzerland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

blu_sonic wrote:
    I never even heard of the lad, i looked him up he played for Inter 3 goals in 19 aps went to Germany finished up in Switzerland

Interesting, always wondered what happened him. Inter apparently agreed a $15 million fee with Red Star for his services, then never paid the club a penny due to the trade embargo on the former Yugoslavia. He scored almost 100 goals in his four years at Red Star, and was part of one of the most technically gifted club sides the world has ever seen, a team that included the like of Dragan "Pixy" Stojković, Robert Prosinecki, Vladimir Jugovic, Sinisa Mihajlovic and the wonderful Dejan Savicevic and was torn apart after the outbrak of civil war. (Some believe Zvonomir Bobans attack on a policeman during a game between Dinamo Zagreb and Pancevs' Red Star in May 1990 sparked the civil war).

Big fat Tomas Brolin must be considered a supreme waste of talent. Brilliant in his early 20's, he was washed up by the age of 26 when he was at Leeds. Still the youngest Premiership manager in history though :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Big fat Tomas Brolin must be considered a supreme waste of talent. Brilliant in his early 20's, he was washed up by the age of 26 when he was at Leeds. Still the youngest Premiership manager in history though :eek:

The worst signing in the history of Leeds United. What an absolutely awful player. We signed him after USA '94 when he was a big hit and one of the most talked about players in Europe. He was simply awful from start to finish and after a few months he resembled a beach whale he had gotten so fat. In every vote on Leeds's worst signing i have ever seen, Brolin wins every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

p_larkin99 wrote:
    How can Giggs be even mentioned in this?

didn't run at players enough in his late 20s IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Kingp35 wrote:
    The worst signing in the history of Leeds United. What an absolutely awful player.

What about sharpe, 4m was alot of money back then.

What about sharpe, 4m was alot of money back then.

Sharpe had one remotely decent season whereas Brolin was just awful from the start, plus Brolin cost £4.5m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Andre Kanchelsicas(sp) united winger. If he didnt have gambling problems and stayed at united he would of been huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Matt le Tiss was a waste of talent because he could clearly have been a much fitter and thus better player, and so, would have been a lot better, whatever club he played for.

He's still a legend.

Shearer's definitely not a talent waster, though clearly he would have been a huge success at a better club.

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Interesting, always wondered what happened him. Inter apparently agreed a $15 million fee with Red Star for his services, then never paid the club a penny due to the trade embargo on the former Yugoslavia. He scored almost 100 goals in his four years at Red Star, and was part of one of the most technically gifted club sides the world has ever seen, a team that included the like of Dragan "Pixy" Stojković, Robert Prosinecki, Vladimir Jugovic, Sinisa Mihajlovic and the wonderful Dejan Savicevic and was torn apart after the outbrak of civil war. (Some believe Zvonomir Bobans attack on a policeman during a game between Dinamo Zagreb and Pancevs' Red Star in May 1990 sparked the civil war).

I've heard that about Boban's incident, straw camel back etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Garret wrote:
    He runs at players too much in my opinion, and most of his dribbles keep whacking off other peoples legs. To say he wasted his talents though...........
    One of the biggest collection of medals in the premiership, if not world football, and I can't think of any other welsh player who's achieved more. In my opinion he's achieved more than his talent should've allowed.

• Advertisement

He runs at players too much in my opinion, and most of his dribbles keep whacking off other peoples legs. To say he wasted his talents though...........
    One of the biggest collection of medals in the premiership, if not world football, and I can't think of any other welsh player who's achieved more. In my opinion he's achieved more than his talent should've allowed.

Was your man at Juve Welsh? John Charles or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Did Ian Rush achieve more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Gianluigi Lentini

Not his fault though. He was amazing when he was younger, world record signing for Milan and had a good first season. Then was involved in a car crash and left in a coma. He recovered but was nowhere near the same player. I heard he retired in 2000

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Yeah he was Welsh. He IMO was one of the greats of world football (just ask Juve supporters!), but Giggs won more trophies so you could argue he has achieved more

A Leeds United Legend. Voted the third best player ever to play for Leeds. He could play at either centre back or centre forward and scored 157 goals in 327 games for the club which is a fantastic record taking into account that many of those games were as a centre back. Greatest player ever to play for Wales imo.

http://www.leedsunited.com/history.asp?article=175235&intType=1&title=John+Charles+-+Greatest+Player&navlid=Club+Information+and+History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Melion wrote:
    Gianluigi Lentini

Not his fault though. He was amazing when he was younger, world record signing for Milan and had a good first season. Then was involved in a car crash and left in a coma. He recovered but was nowhere near the same player. I heard he retired in 2000

It was 2 years later in fact he retired. When he signed for milan he was the best player in the world, sheer quality. First season he was untouchable then in the summer he had that "accident". Left him in a coma with two broken legs and a shattered knee. Never the same player since and ended up finishing his career off in the depts of Seria C1.

I wouldn't put situations outside of the players control into a talent wasters thread mind you. Lentini, Del Piero etc... very unfortunate players but not wasted talent rather unfulfilled you may say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Francis Jeffers. Although he might not have had the talent in the first place, maybe he just got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Phil Babb :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

iregk wrote:
    It was 2 years later in fact he retired. When he signed for milan he was the best player in the world, sheer quality. First season he was untouchable then in the summer he had that "accident". Left him in a coma with two broken legs and a shattered knee. Never the same player since and ended up finishing his career off in the depts of Seria C1.

I wouldn't put situations outside of the players control into a talent wasters thread mind you. Lentini, Del Piero etc... very unfortunate players but not wasted talent rather unfulfilled you may say.
    Nah, Lentini was disappointing in his first season at Milan before he had the accident. Not saying he wouldn't have improved afterwards, but we'll never know now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Garret wrote:

Giggs hasnt been able to run flat out in about 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

No, he chooses not to. He said as much in his book that he limited himself to preserve the gams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement