Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest talent wasters ever!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Melion wrote:
    Gianluigi Lentini

Not his fault though. He was amazing when he was younger, world record signing for Milan and had a good first season. Then was involved in a car crash and left in a coma. He recovered but was nowhere near the same player. I heard he retired in 2000

Matt Jansen wasn't as big a talent but the exact same thing happened him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

What about Danny Cadamarteri?

He had talent, and he wasted it big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

442 once printed an article saying how Djalminha was the most talented Brazilian player ever.

problem was he just wouldnt play the way his managers wanted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Djalminha was amazing to watch, and a god for Depor but he was an odd talent, trying to fit him into a team would have been a fulltime job in its self, his style f play was so unique, not a striker, not a midefilder... not an anything really, just a scairly gifted player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Melion wrote:
    Gianluigi Lentini

Not his fault though. He was amazing when he was younger, world record signing for Milan and had a good first season. Then was involved in a car crash and left in a coma. He recovered but was nowhere near the same player. I heard he retired in 2000

Currently he still plays for Canelli (Piedmontese "Eccellenza", 6th division), together with Diego Fuser, another former Italy international footballer, and his salary is around £1700 (€2500) per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Garret wrote:
    didn't run at players enough in his late 20s IMO
    In Giggs' autobiography he says that his hamstrings have been in a hoop since very early in his career and, read this bit carefully, he has NEVER been able to run at his fastest cause he fears they would screw up again. I find that amazing, one of the best players in the english game of the last 15 years, and he has never been able to fully express himself.

As for being a big talent waster, i can see where the argument is, but i completely disagree. With the ability he had when he first burst on to the scene, he could have gone on to be one of the very best ever, but he didn't - i don't think he truly fulfiled ALL the potential he had. BUT, he is still an excellent player and not a talent waster imo.

One i will mention though (and he should have been mentioned previously - he may have been, i have not read the full thread) is Lee Sharpe - that lad was brilliant for united, and there was a time he was better then giggs - a better crosser of the ball, better finisher too. I can't believe how bad his career went from the heady height in 95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sorry - the giggs stuff and lee sharpe have already been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Charlie Nicholas, left Celtic in a blaze of glory to join Arsenal instead of Liverpool

Arsenal fans, was he more a player on or off the field.(1 League cup medal)
    Liverpool fans, could he have done the business for ye if he had signed.
    I think he made the wrong decision and just went for the bright lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

David Ginola anyone? And maybe Poborsky and Berger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

KdjaC wrote:
    Half naming players who never played enough due to personal issues Paul Byrne Gazza, proper talent wasters other half naming legends, Le Tiss Del Piero Juninho

:confused:

I would go with Paul Byrne or Brendan Markey.

kdjac
    Ur taking the mickey...Brendan Markey?? The guy has no talent.....now if you were talking about Mark 'Nailer' O'neill ...there is a guy who coulda done so much more if it werent for doing his cruciate when he was at leyton orient..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

And maybe Poborsky and Berger.

Problem with those 2 is they hadn't a huge amount of talent to waste.
    Berger did his bit for liverpool and then pompey, poborsky could take a rare shot that was good and that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Poborsky was the greatest impulse buy of all time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH I wouldn't put Cisse in there!! He has achieved a good bit in his career!! You must remember that in his First season of English Football he had a Career threatening injury and hasn't been the same since but he is still young and I imagine that whoever decides to buy him next will get a lot more out of him!! He could become a great player still!!

Advertisement