Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB + Linksys Router

• 02-04-2006 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I setup my Smart broadband 2 days ago and I want to use it with my Linksys wireless router.

When I go throught the linksys setup it doesn't detect the dsl connection. But I can connect it directly to my pc and it works fine.

Can anyone give me any pointers on setting this up.

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

K-TRIC wrote:
    I setup my Smart broadband 2 days ago and I want to use it with my Linksys wireless router.

When I go throught the linksys setup it doesn't detect the dsl connection. But I can connect it directly to my pc and it works fine.

Can anyone give me any pointers on setting this up.

Thanks
    K

What linksys model are you using? If it is router only then you will have to put the Smart supplied router/modem into bridge mode full instructions are here:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

dub45 wrote:
    What linksys model are you using? If it is router only then you will have to put the Smart supplied router/modem into bridge mode full instructions are here:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

It's a Linksys WRT54G router. I'll take a look at that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ive been trying to set up the same config for a mate so Im interested to see how ya get on with this K-TRIC. Post back here & let us know how ya got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I have the same router and the same problem, they wont connect.
    Phone their support and they should send you out a replacement.

The instructions for bridge mode will help you but in fairness if you wanted a bridge you could just have bought a WAP for 30 euros, I'd disregard those well intentioned instructions unless you just want a WAP, get the real problem fixed.

The bridge mode is rubbish by the way, if I have the DS on bridge the laptop goes offline and that is on a cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I have the same router and the same problem, they wont connect.
    Phone their support and they should send you out a replacement.

The instructions for bridge mode will help you but in fairness if you wanted a bridge you could just have bought a WAP for 30 euros, I'd disregard those well intentioned instructions unless you just want a WAP, get the real problem fixed.

The bridge mode is rubbish by the way, if I have the DS on bridge the laptop goes offline and that is on a cable.

What do you mean by "bridge mode" ?

• Advertisement

Bridge mode is what dub45 gave you instructions for above.

Blub2k4 who are you saying should be sending out a replacement, smart or linksys, & on what grounds would they do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Er - the WRT54G is an Ethernet router - not a DSL router. You still need a DSL modem to convert your DSL<->Ethernet.

The instructions mentioned turn the Smart modem/router into _just_ a modem that spits ethernet out your Lan ports. You then use the router of your choice (connected to the modem via rj-45) to perform your pppoe login and whatever other fancy features you want. (wireless AP etc..).

If your router does not specifically have an rj-11 port, then you really want to set your Smart modem into bridged mode. Double NAT is bad mmkay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

skywalker wrote:
    Bridge mode is what dub45 gave you instructions for above.

Blub2k4 who are you saying should be sending out a replacement, smart or linksys, & on what grounds would they do that?

I just checked again.....errr my mistake I have a wag54g, wireless device, in any case the symptoms sound the exact same as mine, phone smart to get setup help then phone linksys if that wont work.

For anyone looking to get these working in the future, instructions from K-TRIC which I used to get mine working. :) I dont know what I was doing different previous but this worked when nothing worked before, perhaps its the order it was done in or something, but it works anyway.

1) Reset both of them to the factory defaults.
    2) Then set the modem to bridge mode,
    3) On the linksys router select PPPoE and enter your password and username.
    4) Make sure you have DHCP turned on on the linksys router.
    5) Restart the pc with the linksys router plugged in and it should work.

Advertisement