Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dyndns.org

• 02-04-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Ok Id like to setup a VPN so I can access my pc from anywhere when Im out and about. Does anyone know how I would go about this ? DYNDNS.org I heard support this but how does it work, will I keep the same IP address all the time, I currently have a dymanic IP from BT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well I tried dyndns ages ago for a small web server, I installed a little program that monitored the public IP address and sent it to my profile, it did work, but at stages when my IP changed it failed to update it.

If you have a linksys router, I have seen an option on one of the menus for DYNDNS, so you can use a router also to send your IP info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

With dynamic DNS you register a hostname with DynDns.org that you will use to access your dynamic IP. For example you could be 'tech.dyndns.org'. You then configure your router with your dyndns username, password and hostname. Then whenever your dynamic ip changes your router logs into the dynamic DNS service and changes the ip address registered against it.

So effectively you have a DNS entry that always points to your router's public ip address regardless of how often it changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

do I need to own a domain
    ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You dont need to own a domain.

You can sign up for free on dyndns.org. They have a list of address' and you can choose a subdomain on one of them [eg: yourname.address.tld ].

The BT router I know supports dyndns. However I use my Netgear one myself.

Once you have it setup you will need to configure some port forwarding on your router/modem. For example forward port 22 to your linux box, or port 80 to your web site on your local machine etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi Tech,

I have something like this on my home PC. Lets me remote desktop in from work to manage my downloads etc.

I use:

www.no-ip.com

It's free and works great. Again, it installs a service on your PC that runs on startup. What this basically does is periodically check your WAN (i.e. internet-facing) IP address, and links it to a domain name of your choosing, from several available on the no-ip.com site.

So for instance, you might choose the domain name:

http://tech.no-ip.com

The no-ip service on your PC will make sure that this points to your IP address. Then, when you want to VPN to your home PC, enter the domain name as the destination, rather than the IP address.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dyndns works fine for me. There are a choice of programs to run all the time to automatically detect IP change and update the database.

ei9feb.shacknet.nu

Which ports you forward depends on what service (VPN, telnet, SMTP, FTP, Web, etc) you want to connected to from outside.

Please ensure the service is secure (that you forward a port to).

Internal IPs are best configured as static IPs if you are using port forwarding on your NAT/Router/Firewall/Proxy box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Have a look at www.logmein.com. The free version is all you need. It' s really simple and is like working at home in front of your PC. I used it from Germany a few weeks ago.

It's just a matter of setting up a username and password, oh and making sure your home PC is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

no-ip.com works great for me too, and its free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Valentia wrote:
    Have a look at www.logmein.com. The free version is all you need. It' s really simple and is like working at home in front of your PC. I used it from Germany a few weeks ago.

It's just a matter of setting up a username and password, oh and making sure your home PC is on.

I also agree with this.
    Logmein.com just owns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brooksp

Another thing you could try is Hamachi.
    Get it from www.hamachi.cc
    If you install it on both computers you can connect from one to the other without having to worry about port forwarding / opening ports / dynamic DNS etc. You can then use VNC or PCAnywhere or even Windows remote desktop securely over a VPN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Many DSL routers seem to have something for DynDNS, it works well and saves you install yet more bits n pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iluvbeer

http://www.gotomyvnc.com/

Might be handy to help you test once you think you've got it all configured.
    It doesn't say what ports it scans on though ??

Advertisement