Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFAs 1st Racism test

• 02-04-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Inter fans at it again, same guy as last time.
    Messina defender Marc Zoro has called on Fifa to act on the racist abuse he has twice suffered from Inter Milan fans this season.

The Ivory Coast-born star was again subject to whistles and jeers in Milan on Saturday.

"I'm not happy," he said. "They shouted all sorts of things at me and you could hear what happened when I touched the ball - it is a disgrace.

"Fans must realise what they're doing. I hope Fifa carry out their plans."

Fifa, world football's governing body, recently announced plans to implement match suspensions, points deductions and disqualification from competitions for acts of racism.

Racism rules effective now - Fifa

Clubs now face being deducted three points for a first offence, six for a second and relegation for further offences.

Member associations failing to implement the punishments face being banned from international football for two years.

Zoro said he had received a positive reaction in most stadiums since his threat to halt the home game against Inter in November.

Following a series of monkey chants, he broke down in tears and was only persuaded to continue playing by team-mates.

"I was applauded at Treviso and it has been fine in other grounds - it is only here that I've had this problem again," he said on Saturday.

"It was good in the second half that part of the stadium didn't accept that behaviour, they are people who know football shouldn't be like that."

The new measures will also apply to this year's World Cup finals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4869030.stm

FIFAs new laws are effective now so will they do anything about this?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

My guess it will be the traditional slap across the wrists $10,000 fine or so for Inter. I hope I'm proven wrong and FIFA finally stick to their authority.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If I really hated Chelsea and supported Man U or some other team, could I band together a few like-minded friends, and go to Chelsea matches, and sit in the Chelsea stands and shout racist abuse at players and officials and cause Chelsea to be deducted points or be relegated?

Maybe I'm misreading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If the club didnt ban you, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

If I really hated Chelsea and supported Man U or some other team, could I band together a few like-minded friends, and go to Chelsea matches, and sit in the Chelsea stands and shout racist abuse at players and officials and cause Chelsea to be deducted points or be relegated?

Maybe I'm misreading.

This is the sort of thing that affects FIFA's rulings. If they were to invoke these deductions then a group of fans could go to their rivals grounds and get them point deductions and thus lever their side ahead of thei rivials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

They could also go to jail of course if they were identified.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah it would but very stupid for fans to risk doing that.

I hope FIFA actually act against Inter on this and deduct them the 3 points. It will send a message out to other clubs that racism will no longer be tolerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

If the "fans" did go to other teams and chant racism at players and the team were deducted points it would put a whole new spin on the 12th man.

the day is coming were certain teams will have to play a whole season behind closed doors.

I'm not a big EPL fan but i guess that they will fell a little bit miffed there were hooligans in the 80's and the teams got banned noe its the italians causing trouble and they seem to get away with murder, also galatasaray as Kingp35 wil no doubt tell you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

blu_sonic wrote:
    also galatasaray as Kingp35 wil no doubt tell you

Dont get me started on that. The way that was handled was a disgrace. One of the Leeds fans was stabbed 17 times!

FIFA have got to get the finger out and start punishing teams that are involved in these kinds of incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I remember all too well, i was still keeping an eye on Leeds at that time.

Advertisement