Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to write a cheque

Options
  • 02-04-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

If I write a cheque for EUR 25, there is always a risk the receiver could stick in a hundred making it 125, on the words and figures sections, so can I write the words "Not to exceed EUR 30" on the cheque to be safe in a lagel sense, I've seen that done on dot matrix printed cheques, and its on the AIB drafts (as not to exceed 2000)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

vector wrote:
    can I write the words "Not to exceed EUR 30" on the cheque to be safe in a lagel sense,

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Just draw a double line (horizontal) before and after the amount so nobody can add anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Aren't you supposed to write the words as far to the left as possible to preclude such changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Hagar wrote:
    Aren't you supposed to write the words as far to the left as possible to preclude such changes?

Yes, but the number 1, being vertical, can easily be inserted before the amount in figures.

and, on bank of ireland and aib personal cheques which both lack the prepreprinted "Pay to the order of" a number "one hundred and" could easily be inserted after the recipients name.

In conclusion, using double horizontal lines is the perfect solution, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

vector wrote:

and, on bank of ireland and aib personal cheques which both lack the prepreprinted "Pay to the order of" a number "one hundred and" could easily be inserted after the recipients name.

A bank would be extremely suspicious of such a cheque and would probably not pay out on it until they contacted you to verify it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement