Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing

Options
  • 02-04-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I hope try and do some fly fishing this year. I had a couple of failed attempts last year but god loves a tryer :D so I think i'll give it another shot this year. I know this is probably a stupid question but is this an all year round activity or is it only when the May flys are out?
    I presume this is when you are most likely to catch given the feeding activity.
    The nearest river to me is the Dodder and although I don't mind travelling - I have noticed quite a few people flyfishing in this area in early summer so somebody much be catching something.
    Also - is anyone aware of any clubs in the Dub South area? Maybe joining up would be the best way to get some good experience/advise.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

All the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

yo! mr..o!
    i was a member of the dodder federation a couple of years ago..its a 5 euro permit and i got mine in rorys of temple bar....i didnt catch anything mind u, but i only went there twice..and im not the best at fly fishing..id recommend trying one of those paid waters..like rathbeggan -- dunshauglin road..or the maynooth one..just to get you started...they are canny fish those wild trout...
    best of luck...
    and dont forget, keep the elbow in and the rod at 12 o clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Not a bad idea - I've seen ads for that place out near Dunshaughlin. Might be worth heading out there for a bit of practice. I also had a pass/ or license for the Dodder last year which I picked up in the tackle shop on Clanbrassil St. Come to think of it - it mentioned something about being a member of a club but I'm not sure if theres actually a real club that organises events etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

A licence for the Dodder and Bohernabreena reservoir will cost you 10 euro and can be bought at just about any tackle shop around Dublin. I've fished the Dodder for a few years--90% of the fish you catch will be tiny, but the big ones are in there--just need to put in the time to find them! Forget the reservoir though, it hasn't been stocked in ages and is virtually fishless.
    Try black or black/olive Klinkhammers in size 16-18 or wets (blae and black is a good one) size 14-16 and you should get some interest.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

I've fished the Dodder for a few years--90% of the fish you catch will be tiny, but the big ones are in there--just need to put in the time to find them! Forget the reservoir though, it hasn't been stocked in ages and is virtually fishless.

Yes I noticed that the fish I could see were on the small side - saying that there does seems to be plenty of them. I also tried the resevoir a couple of times but nothing happening there. The lack of other people fishing was a giveaway so I suspect you're right about the stocking.

Thanks very much for the advice on the flys :) - this is a great help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

I couldn't recommend this place more..

http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/

It has a great beginners lake and you can either pay for instruction or you'll find someone there ready to lend you a hand no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Hi,
    I am hoping to do a bit of fly fishing for trout this weekend on lakes around roscommon. Anyone know which flies would be best to use around now - I will be doing a mix of shore and boat.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hatclint1

Ahoi hoi. if your looking for a great spot to fish in the dodder go to Rathfarnham Garda station, accross the road from that there is a bridge(oppisite side), under the bridge there is a small waterfall. You can stand on top of the water fall and cast to the pool below. Its teaming with wonderful little trout which have no problem biting. They are small but still they are great fun!! but please please please put them back. I have been fishing it once every summer month for the past 5 years and alway enjoyed it!! I however use a small hook, an cork float and for bait some compressed bread. Its perfect for learning!!!!Good Luck.;) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

This is a dream of mine. I spent a lot of money last year on a one-day fly fishing course but I was **** at casting (I broke one of their rods) because I am more used to whacking a swimfeeder out into a big lake in Cavan or a 2-ounce lead off a beach in Wexford. Apparently you just flick the thing out. But I bought some fly gear nevertheless and I still hope to try it this year. I think you can fish until September. At least I hope you can. What really struck me at the fly fishing course was that you need only a rod and reel and a little bag of gear — whether I go coarse fishing or beach fishing I seem to be dragging a couple of hundredweights of tackle behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I fished the Dodder for a couple of seasons, there are a few good trout left. which is amazing after the whacking they get on paddy's day. This year I changed clubs I am fising the Liffey now. A far superior river with some cracking trout. Don't forget there is a fly lake in Corkagh park. Never fished it but a couple of friends say it fishes well in the evenings.

Advertisement