Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

w800i issues

• 02-04-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Damn phone is mental!!!

Many many many issues hopefully some fixable.

Seus wont install correctly as it says i have not got the "right" macromedia flash player installed, what is the right one? Obviously not the latest one.

Disc2phone only allows some of my mp3s to go to the phone is there a standard ? tried reconverting them all to 192kpbs still didnt like them for some reason so only allows a few on with no reason for the others (plenty of space on 512 card)

Crashes a lot but hoping Seus will fix that, actually crashes at least once a day, Playback failed, flashy white screen of death, loses phone numbers from the phone book etc etc:

/yeah Sarge great phone :)

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

god that's bad man, i think i'd be put off buying one of those with all the problems they seem to have, hope you get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

KdjaC wrote:
    Damn phone is mental!!!

Many many many issues hopefully some fixable.

Seus wont install correctly as it says i have not got the "right" macromedia flash player installed, what is the right one? Obviously not the latest one.

Disc2phone only allows some of my mp3s to go to the phone is there a standard ? tried reconverting them all to 192kpbs still didnt like them for some reason so only allows a few on with no reason for the others (plenty of space on 512 card)

Crashes a lot but hoping Seus will fix that, actually crashes at least once a day, Playback failed, flashy white screen of death, loses phone numbers from the phone book etc etc:

/yeah Sarge great phone :)

kdjac

just got to mprc and get it flashed 1st that might solve some problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eh , sorry to hear that i had four of these phones in the last 3 months hadnt them issues. All i can advise you is get the phone flashed in MPRC in sandyford. This will be well covered under the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There are problems with these phones. Loads of people seem to be bringing them back.
    Is your phone still it its 28 return period KdjaC?

Pythia wrote:
    There are problems with these phones. Loads of people seem to be bringing them back.
    Is your phone still it its 28 return period KdjaC?

HAHAHA , He bought the phone off me it aint within any 28 period believe me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Got mine a few months ago and had/have no problems at all. Great phone.

Make sure you have the correct firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

have mine since december, crashed on me while making a call the other day. First time that's happened. The memory stick did go south after a week or so but cpw replaced that. afaik it's a widely known issue with the sticks they give with the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I cant update it, flash error on SEUS.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Ive had a lot of trouble with my w800 aswell. The same kind of problems you mentioned.. (playback failed, white screen, random crashes, etc.) I managed to update it through SEUS but didnt notice any improvment in terms of reliability. I brought it back to Carphone Warehouse last week, it's been sent away to be checked so i hope it will come back with a new lease of life.

Do you know what version of flash player you have ?

I have 8 and SEUS says its the wrong one.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Crashes sometimes opening the camera, after sending a message, sometimes dialling. Messages frequently get put into drafts instead of just sending normally. The joystick down btton is dodgy. The headphones broke and the headphone connector stopped working. Sometimes the MP3s sound like they're playing off a scratched CD. Sometime I get out of memory errors while trying to load applications.

Still like the phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Mine has exactly the same issues with crashing, I did update it though and had no luck. Brought it to Carphone Warehouse, they had it for two weeks and lost my memory stick in the process, before giving me back the phone in exactly the same state as I handed it in.

I was gonna try going straight to Sony Ericsson but just haven't bothered, resetting the phone to avoid crashes has become almost second nature at this stage(the selection spotlight becomes a black square in the menu and I know its time to reset or the phone will crash soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭palance

This is interesting, I thought I was the only one having these troubles. I was on the verge of bringing it back until I updated the firmware to version "R1BC002". Haven't had any problems since, I just used the update software that came with the phone.

Theres also a long thread about W800i firmware updates here:
    http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=92737&start=5565

Edit: KdjaC, I think Sony have released a new version of the update software on their website, maybe that might work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

god i'm lucky, havent had a major ssue with it since xmas, i get the white screen the odd time and the playback error but thats not very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

anyone have a problem with transferring music to their w800i?looks like it transferrs ok but then you test it and only a few songs transferr, or else all transferr barr 1 or 2?

i am using disk2phone

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

the only way I found around this problem was to remove the actual memory stick and put it in a card reader + transfer the albums or songs directly to the phone. disk to phone and the usb cable itself is useless. the songs will show up on the pc until you disconnect and look in the phone to find they aren't there....

yeah ur 100% - they look there, then disconnect the cable and they aint!

it seems to be a bug that sony don't care about. more interested in pushing out the next batch of phones! your best bet if you don't already have it is a card reader. Works perfect for me

ps: same solution seemed the best in this thread I came across a good while ago after I bought the phone

http://www.expansys.fr/forumthread.asp?code=125173&thread=47

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Hi lads,
    wondering if i could just hi-jack this thread a bit and ask what you think of the w800i (apart from the problem mentioned) ?
    also how much did you pay for it?.. d'you think it's worth it?

thanks

• Advertisement

345 on meteor I think about 3 months ago. Fantastic phone. by far the best I have ever used. although the sony ericsson k800i looks to be coming out in the next few months and the camera is even better. (excellent camera on the w800i just not the best for pubs/night clubs or anywhere dark).

Battery life too is very good.

Any specific q's feel free to msg me or ask here?

I have to agree, I have used most phones down through the years, always favoured SE, but they gave me singal problems constantly,

the w800i hasnt caused me any problems with signal, battery life is very decent, camera is excellent for lighted shots, mp3 is also good when u can get them accross!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have never had hassle transfering songs?what exactly happens? the only hassle was when i tried copy a wav file with a weird codec, i've copied moives, hours long mp3s, big pictures, never a problem. best phone i've ever had

280 off Sarge.

Great phone when it works properly.

Macromedia still says wrong version.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think its the best phone I ever had and I always had Nokias except for 1 year when in Australia where I had a Motorola (:o :( )

Music is great on it, Picture quality is excellent, reception very good, games for it are quite good as got loads free from the net, the only thing I have a problem with is screen size but I can live with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Thanks folks, think i'll go ahead and get one, when i get the money together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

I have a Sony Ericsson W800i and I love it.
    Thing is its full of bugs,
    ie random crashing, cursor becomes a big black square etc
    Is there any updates or anything to fix these?

Also, is there any way to copy my sms messages to my PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Have you tried doing the Sony Ericsson online update? I've no problems with mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Nope. didn't realise there was such a thing. How does one go about doing this?

• Advertisement

Eh , lads use the search function please. There was a two page thread about this phone on the next page wouldnt hurt you to look it up :)

Advertisement