Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distance from exchange issue or not?

• 02-04-2006 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

A friend had his line tested a few times and was told it was unsuitable/too far from exchange 4.5/5 km.I'm friendly with a technician and through some jiggery pookery we got the guy passed and its working no problem.Now the neighbours want to know how he can have broadband and they cant>.:D :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

ward2wise wrote:
    A friend had his line tested a few times and was told it was unsuitable/too far from exchange 4.5/5 km.I'm friendly with a technician and through some jiggery pookery we got the guy passed and its working no problem.Now the neighbours want to know how he can have broadband and they cant>.:D :D

ADSL is a distance-sensitive technology: As the connection's length increases, the signal quality decreases and the connection speed goes down. The limit for ADSL service is 18,000 feet (5,460 meters)

from http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl3.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

If this technician guy can make a line work for broadband beyond 5km using only a bit of 'jiggery-pokery', I think he'd become the most popular tech in Ireland by helping the rest of us out who live beyond 5km from our exchanges. For the guy to have jiggery-pokeried the line into working, your friend can't be living much beyond 5km from the exchange, I live 8km by copper wire from mine, no amount of jiggery-pokery is going to help me..

I get the feeling that the 4.5km distance imposed in this country is completely arbitrary anyway, other countries (such as Australia and Scotland) use simple technologies such as DSL repeaters to get a DSL signal out as far as 10km from their exchanges, it's more than obvious that Eircom want to to keep the majority of us on the lower maintenance and higher profit dial up. *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

what is jiggery pookery is technical terms please?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ward2wise

He did nothing to the actual line but getting the line/tested /passed is
    the problem to overcome.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ward2wise wrote:
    He did nothing to the actual line but getting the line/tested /passed is
    the problem to overcome.

So there is no actually jiggery pokery at all - the line had been previously tested - and failed - so what actually happened to get your friend broadband is what people would like to know?????????? and more fundamentally what is the point of your post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

dub45 wrote:
    So there is no actually jiggery pokery at all - the line had been previously tested - and failed - so what actually happened to get your friend broadband is what people would like to know?????????? and more fundamentally what is the point of your post?

Relax!!!!

His technician friend probable just enabled the line ignoring the eircom line test and .....shock....shock...it worked fine for broadband!
    Remember its more profitable for eircom to have you on DialUp than BB!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

dub45 wrote:

He's pointing out an example where eircom's line test is a certified load of bollocks.

My understanding is that if the technician tests the line from the premises, then they can get much more reliable results. All you really need to do is stick a modem on the line and see what it syncs at. If it syncs, job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

zuma wrote:
    Relax!!!!

His technician friend probable just enabled the line ignoring the eircom line test and .....shock....shock...it worked fine for broadband!
    Remember its more profitable for eircom to have you on DialUp than BB!!!
    So, what I need to do is catch an eircon technician in his van, grease his palm and pray he can get it to work. Their may be hope for me yet.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

So, what I need to do is catch an eircon technician in his van, grease his palm and pray he can get it to work. Their may be hope for me yet.:)

Its always worth a try!

A got a PM from a boardster here who got it about 5KM from the exchange and his line had to go through fields and such!

To get them to do a "trial" BB line enable you might have to promise sexual favours if you didnt previously know them :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

zuma wrote:
    Its always worth a try!

A got a PM from a boardster here who got it about 5KM from the exchange and his line had to go through fields and such!

To get them to do a "trial" BB line enable you might have to promise sexual favours if you didnt previously know them :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!
    I'm too ugly. I 'll have to try Latinum.

It's an ISDN line. I know he would have to downgrade it to an analogue line. But shouldn't the line quality be good? Would it be a lot of work for him. I live About 5 to 6Km from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For what it's worth, eircom basically make up that distance figure by using a rule of thumb. They take the attenuation figure and divide it by 12 to get the line length. Basically any line that has an attenuation of 54 dB or greater fails. My own line would be 78 dB. One of the flavours of READSL2 can sync on a line with an attenuation of 89 dB!

The attenuation limit is ridiculous. BT have a higher limit for 1 Mbit of 60 dB. I don't know why this is. Better quality is not an issue in this as a poor quality line would simply have a higher attenuation figure.

I know of a case of a 5.1 km line working for 1 Mbit broadband but that is pushing it for ADSL. I'd say 512 kbps could easily go to 6 km if Eircom bothered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ward2wise

The line attenuation is 64 and whilst mine is 24 I dont see any
    particular difference in speed.

Advertisement