Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

• 02-04-2006 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Im intrested in learning more about Islam and just wanted to ask one little question.
    In the rc church there is places such as Medjugoire,Lourdes and Fatima were Our lady is believed to have appeared and is still apppearing in some places.Also there is known to be lots of miracles that have occoured at these holy places.I just wanted to know is there any religous figures in Islam that are believed to be appearing to humans-if so where are they and do miracles also occur there?

Sorry my knowledge of Islam is v.scant ,i apologise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

It depends on who you talk to, many neo-classical sufis and some shiate faith denominations have recorded that some of the more devout students of the faith will/have seen angels and such like.

Some sunni faith groups have the same but these seem to be fewer and far between.

Mostly occurs in the form of a dream .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Muslims believe in the Jinn. (Plural of Jinni - Genie in English).
    The Jinn are creatures that were made by Allah before humans were made. While humans were made from earth, Jinn were made from fire. Aparantly these can reveal themselves to humans, but most of the time they choose not to.
    There's even a sura in the Quran about them.
    I dont think they are recognised as "religios figures", but aparently Muhammad was a prophet of the Jinn aswell, maybe they had prophets of their own...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

There is a hadith (saying) of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) that talks about this. I'm afraid I don't know the text off by heart here but the general meaning is that it is possible to see the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) in a dream. "Who sees me in a dream has indeed seen me" (approximate text/meaning)

We are also warned that Satan can pretend to be figures in our dreams but that he has been forbidden by God to pose as the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh), hence the text of the hadith above.

As for seeing holy figures in broad daylight and such. As far as I know, this isn't possible but I may be wrong. God knows best.

Jinn are not seen as religous figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

So is catholicism the only religon where these sort of phenomenons happen like medjugorie and Lourdes?

Well, as r3boot mentioned, some people claim to have seen angels and the like. Personally, I think that such visions are best kept personal as they are likely very personal experiences anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 khalid100

Hi,
    Would like to add a bit to the disscussion:
    Even if some experiences a supernatural thing, it doesn't change any law of the religion. There are examples of people claiming that they saw someone in the dream or heard voices asking him/her to perform certain act. Rules of the religion remain the same i.e no changes in them.

Rgds
    Khalid

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

the_new_mr wrote:
    There is a hadith (saying) of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) that talks about this. I'm afraid I don't know the text off by heart here but the general meaning is that it is possible to see the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh) in a dream. "Who sees me in a dream has indeed seen me" (approximate text/meaning)

We are also warned that Satan can pretend to be figures in our dreams but that he has been forbidden by God to pose as the Prophet Mohamed (pbuh), hence the text of the hadith above.

So, if you "see" the Prophet Mohamed in a dream it must be really him because God has forbidden Satan to pose as the Prophet. Even though NO images are allowed of the prophet so nobody can actually say what he looked like, plus the fact he is dead, so if you see him in a dream, acorrding to the above hadith you would be seeing a ghost :eek:

..... now that is a good one :D

I wonder how long you would live for if you actually clamed to SEE the prophet in a dream. Me thinks you would be really seeing him quite soon after saying that LOL

khalid100 wrote:
    Would like to add a bit to the disscussion:
    Even if some experiences a supernatural thing, it doesn't change any law of the religion. There are examples of people claiming that they saw someone in the dream or heard voices asking him/her to perform certain act. Rules of the religion remain the same i.e no changes in them.
    Spot on.
    DinoBot wrote:
    So, if you "see" the Prophet Mohamed in a dream it must be really him because God has forbidden Satan to pose as the Prophet. Even though NO images are allowed of the prophet so nobody can actually say what he looked like, plus the fact he is dead, so if you see him in a dream, acorrding to the above hadith you would be seeing a ghost :eek:

..... now that is a good one :D

I wonder how long you would live for if you actually clamed to SEE the prophet in a dream. Me thinks you would be really seeing him quite soon after saying that LOL
    You're not quite correct.

First of all, people have indeed seen him in a dream before but they usually seem him as light that is too bright to look at. Sometimes people are only able to look down at the ground in the dream and can see only his feet. They are never afraid to tell anyone as it's not something to be afraid about. Why else would the Prophet (peace be upon him) have said the above hadith?

Second of all, I'm certainly not trying to provoke any kind of argument or bad blood but I would ask you to be a bit more respectful.

Third of all, having images of the Prophet (peace be upon him) are not allowed but if God wills you to see him in a dream then that's different. Plus, one of the reasons that images of any of the prophets (peace be upon them all) are not allowed is to prevent accidental idolatry.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

the_new_mr wrote:
    Spot on.

You're not quite correct.

First of all, people have indeed seen him in a dream before but they usually seem him as light that is too bright to look at. Sometimes people are only able to look down at the ground in the dream and can see only his feet. They are never afraid to tell anyone as it's not something to be afraid about. Why else would the Prophet (peace be upon him) have said the above hadith?

Second of all, I'm certainly not trying to provoke any kind of argument or bad blood but I would ask you to be a bit more respectful.

Point accepted, No disrespect intended.

But when you say people have seen him before as light do you have any more info on this or would this be people of yester-year and days of old. Because my point was if someone, say myself, was to clam I saw Mohammad in a dream and he appeard to me as light I think people would not be too happy. If I am wrong and you mean people of this generation then please provide the link or news aticle.

I'm afraid I can't provide any links. The most recent time I heard of this was from a lady in a documentary on Islam that I had seen recently.

I don't know if the Prophet (peace be upon him) can appear to a non-Muslim in a dream but if he did, then I'm sure some people (both Muslim and non-Muslim) would be a bit sceptical. That doesn't necessarily mean it wouldn't happen. It's a very personal experience anyway and, like khalid100 mentioned, doesn't change the religion itself. It's down to the individual to make what they will of it and to tell people what happened if they were told to do so.

It should be also mentioned that there are some fake e-mails that go around saying things like "Sheikh Ahmed fell asleep whilst reading the Quran and saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) and he warned him that... etc etc" Muslims need to be wary of such e-mails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement