Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70kbps from heanet2MB line

• 02-04-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

so basically €ircon are ****ing me around what should i do

ps i never go over cap

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What does a tracert to , say, boards.ie look like?

What does a test like www.speedtest.ie show you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

weeder wrote:
    so basically €ircon are ****ing me around what should i do

ps i never go over cap

Perhaps you could give more details? Have you been having speed problems previously? Have you checked the quality of your line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

With a spineless regulator all we can do is bend over. A least you can get BB.

Without a spineless regulator all we can do is bend over. A least you can get BB.

There is absolutely nothing in the original post to suggest that Eircom are at fault in this case - they may be - but at least let us wait on some evidence????:rolleyes:

Eircon might not be at fault in this case but, my telephone bill for the last two months was,
    Bi-monthly fee for-
    Eircom net anytime, €49.57
    Line rental for ISDN €64.28
    Local calls, €4.09
    o2 mobile, €2.17
    EXCEEDING EIRCOM FLAT RATE ALLOWANCE,€40.97
    vat €34
    Total, €195

Why does it cost me more then if I could get BB? Because our regulator is spineless.

My exchange was just upgraded, but I don't qualify because I'm too far 3.4 miles. their no other options for me except sat BB. It might be all rosy for you living inside the pail but it's not for a lot of us outside it.

• Advertisement

Eircon might not be at fault in this case but, my telephone bill for the last two months was,
    Bi-monthly fee for-
    Local calls, €4.09
    o2 mobile, €2.17
    vat €34
    Total, €195

Why does it cost me more then if I could get BB? Because our regulator is spineless.

My exchange was just upgraded, but I don't qualify because I'm too far 3.4 miles. their no other options for me except sat BB. It might be all rosy for you living in the pail but it's not for a lot of us outside it.

I sympathise with your plight but it has absolutely nothing go to do with the original post so far at least.

dub45 wrote:
    I sympathise with your plight but it has absolutely nothing go to do with the original post so far at least.
    I know. Sorry, I'm just really pissed off that I can't get BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Bi-monthly fee for-
    Local calls, €4.09
    o2 mobile, €2.17
    vat €34
    Total, €195

My exchange was just upgraded, but I don't qualify because I'm too far 3.4 miles. their no other options for me except sat BB. It might be all rosy for you living inside the pail but it's not for a lot of us outside it.

3.4 miles as the crow flies or is that the ACTUAL length of your line?

€154.82 for 2 months of ISDN excl.VAT.....well eircom really do make a mint from those who cant get broadband.
    It actually amazes me that eircom decided to rollout its limited DSL network given the absolutely MASSIVE profits it can make with 64Kbit connections over 3072Kbit BB connections(yes the gulf really is that huge!!!).
    My last dialup internet bill ~20months ago was ~€130 excl.Line Rental and excl.VAT!!!
    Edit
    That was for 1 MONTH!!!!

Honestly if I were eircom I'd be doing exactly what they are doing now....investing money into the legal department likes theres no tomorow so that they can hold onto their monoploy for as long as possible!!!

Are there any group broadband wireless schems in your area???
    My parents live in a town of ~2000 people and I got them BB in October 2004...~4months after it was enabled.
    Various wirelss Group BB schemes also operate in the area due to the absolutely sh!t network that eircom controls with an iron fist!

zuma wrote:
    3.4 miles as the crow flies or is that the ACTUAL length of your line?

€154.82 for 2 months of ISDN excl.VAT.....well eircom really do make a mint from those who cant get broadband.
    It actually amazes me that eircom decided to rollout its limited DSL network given the absolutely MASSIVE profits it can make with 64Kbit connections over 3072Kbit BB connections(yes the gulf really is that huge!!!).
    My last dialup internet bill ~20months ago was ~€130 excl.Line Rental and excl.VAT!!!
    Edit
    That was for 1 MONTH!!!!

Honestly if I were eircom I'd be doing exactly what they are doing now....investing money into the legal department likes theres no tomorow so that they can hold onto their monoploy for as long as possible!!!

Are there any group broadband wireless schems in your area???
    My parents live in a town of ~2000 people and I got them BB in October 2004...~4months after it was enabled.
    Various wirelss Group BB schemes also operate in the area due to the absolutely sh!t network that eircom controls with an iron fist!
    Ya, as the crow flies. I bet Eircon could get it to work if they really wanted too. BT are doing it in the UK at up to 10Km with a good line. Our Group BB scheme got approved last November and I'm still waiting for that to rollout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

quality of line shouldnt be a problem sometimes its grand its a new house you see and i can see my exchange from the rooom the pc is in i pinged boards.ie while downloading from heanet and it was about 1300 then its fine when im not dling

• Advertisement

weeder wrote:
    quality of line shouldnt be a problem sometimes its grand its a new house you see and i can see my exchange from the rooom the pc is in i pinged boards.ie while downloading from heanet and it was about 1300 then its fine when im not dling

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that your line quality is not an issue - How long have you had bb? whats your speed on www.irishisptest.com for example?

were your speeds stable before the recent upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

What does www.speedtest.ie tell you and can you actually paste in a traceroute to boards?

funny thing is my speed is ok tonight but tomorrow evening i must try again because all in all it comes down to contention ratio i beti was going to try a different modem/router as someone else i know has had a problem wth there router relating to bb speed

weeder wrote:
    funny thing is my speed is ok tonight but tomorrow evening i must try again because all in all it comes down to contention ratio i beti was going to try a different modem/router as someone else i know has had a problem wth there router relating to bb speed

As requested above can you tell us if you have checked your line statistics?

Are you using ethernet or wireless to connect? If it is wireless have you got it secured? what speed are you syncing at?

well this is today

Advertisement