Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever heard of these shotguns?

Options
  • 02-04-2006 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

My local gundealer has a load of pump action shotguns from a brand called "Defender". He is very elusive on where these are made but assures me that they are "very good". Anyone ever seen/heard of/shot these?
    He also has a 2nd hand Baikal shotgun which feels & looks very good but I never heard of that make either. Any opinions?

Came across this by the way but don't think the local firearms officer will be too impressed by it....

E.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Never heard of the Defender.Apart from Winchester model Defender.Any pics?
    As for the other one,was that at the same dealer?If it is 24in, it is legal here.No matter what bells and whistles are hanging off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Sounds like it must be the Winchester Defender, as for the Baikal; this is a well known Russian gun aimed at the budget end of the market, a good solid no-nonsense gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

Yeah i heard of Baikal, they're Turkish as far as i remember, they did some good budget shotguns, they had a nice 20g Semi-Auto with a 30" barrel, also do some lovely side by sides, noted for doing a 12g 3.5" supermag side by side that could discharge both barrels at the same time with one trigger pull, wouldn't fancy that me self like but we dont get many Rhino's down here in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Nope, it's not the Winchester Defender (I might be dim but I would still recognise a Winchester!).
    The Baikal looked allright but it was 2nd hand and still priced at over €500...

E.

Jayzus, what's happening today, all my posts show up in duplicate or tri-plicate....

E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Baikal are Russian.

There are lots of pump actions coming out of Turkey in recent years, most of them seem based on the Fabarm style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Huglu is a Turkish gun Cooperative.
    They make some nice guns that they export to the US through an agreement with CZ.

http://www.huglu.com.tr/giris.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

The Baikal shotgun looks like a Remington 870 knockoff.I would say they would be quite sturdy,with a typical short stock for us Westerners.It feels like all wooden buttstocks in the East are made for folks of 5ft statue with very short arms.:)
    Only ever used Baikals SXS,a well made tough gun,but due to short stock,kicked like a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Dont know about the defender but i can assure you that the Baikal is very good value for money. Very solid and reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Mayhem,
    Get out there and try get a few shots from any gun before you buy.
    Personally I would not entertain a Baikal as I find them too rough and ready.
    The trigger pulls are very severe and I have yet to find one that does not kick excessively. I am not being wussy or snobby against this make but if you throw another few hundred € on the price you will get into a better class of gun that will be more condusive to good shooting and less punishing.
    I dont think that the analogy between Baikal shotguns and their Ladas is too far off the mark in that they are rough and ready, go forever but are neither pretty nor comfortable.

Advertisement