Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent

• 02-04-2006 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Yet again the tossers in this biased rag have their front page plastered with crap about sinn fein
    It's the only paper that i would buy and read but i have enough of the repetitive BS in it and its anti sinn fein stance,what are they afraid of,i think most people know that the media and eurodisney run this circus that we call democracy so whoever gets into power isint going to make much difference
    Im not pro Sinn Fein nor am i anti Fianna Fail
    we dont have to look to Fox news for media bias when we have the Irish Independent right under our noses

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Don't you mean the Sunday Independent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

flogen wrote:
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

flogen wrote:

The eircom.net news site had a story from the Indo this morning about Sinn Fein , which as usual was quite subjective - but they've gone and taken it down within the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

MrSinn wrote:
    Yet again the tossers in this biased rag have their front page plastered with crap about sinn fein
    It's the only paper that i would buy and read but i have enough of the repetitive BS in it and its anti sinn fein stance,what are they afraid of,i think most people know that the media and eurodisney run this circus that we call democracy so whoever gets into power isint going to make much difference
    Im not pro Sinn Fein nor am i anti Fianna Fail
    we dont have to look to Fox news for media bias when we have the Irish Independent right under our noses

It would help if you explained to the great unwashed what exactly your beef is...

Not being insulting or anything ,but if Sinn Fein was part of the Govt. here ,the Bantam would be away to sunnier climes....

Wouldn't want to be depending on The Slab for corect governance now would I??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

It would help if you explained to the great unwashed what exactly your beef is...

Not being insulting or anything ,but if Sinn Fein was part of the Govt. here ,the Bantam would be away to sunnier climes....

Wouldn't want to be depending on The Slab for corect governance now would I??
    Better late than never,my beef is media that are unbiased,i just want to bring attention to any irish printed media that are biast ie the Irish independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What? They slaf SF's 41% corporate tax again?

the_syco wrote:
    What? They slaf SF's 41% corporate tax again?
    jesus was a sailor,i just want to sing now.They slaf SF's 41% corporate tax again,give a monkey a banana and it will eat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MrSinn wrote:
    jesus was a sailor,i just want to sing now.They slaf SF's 41% corporate tax again,give a monkey a banana and it will eat it
    Dude, unless you say what the Indo said, I'll have to guess.

if you belive what you read then stop now.............................................................................if you have an open mind then....you would not be here,dont kid yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Perhaps you should try the Irish Daily Mail

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Is the Irish Independent independent?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Is the Irish Independent independent?

That depends on what your definition of Independent is... if it means free from commercial influence, no. It's all part of a worldwide media brand and as such doesn't typically make a point of criticising its other interests (such as the Cian o Connor/Waterford Crystal incident); if it means free from political pressure... well, it's not owned by a political party like the Irish Press was, but of course Mr. Tony O'Reilly, like all of us, has his own political views...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flogen wrote:
    It's all part of a worldwide media brand and as such doesn't typically make a point of criticising its other interests (such as the Cian o Connor/Waterford Crystal incident);

Or a rather large telco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

MrSinn wrote:
    if you belive what you read then stop now.............................................................................if you have an open mind then....you would not be here,dont kid yourself.

Does Jim cusack see himself as tabloid writer ?

BOC had a bit in front of the Sindo yesterday(under a rare none SF headline) defending the obsession with SF, and he sorta had a point that 'they are the political front of a terrorist organisation' and they have plenty of reason to rip into them everyweek.. but why do so which such blatent nonsense like their SF secret document to infiltrate Irelands institutions... ****e

Its silly getting into arguement with other newspapers but the Village are the only people I saw pull them up on this and destroying their article.

http://www.villagemagazine.ie/article.asp?sid=1&sud=36&aid=1602

On 2 April the Sunday Independent led with the headline "Exposed: SF's secret plan to stir up unrest".[Jim claimed the document was secret yet had been up on the SF website for week] The article was written by Jim Cusack, who writes for the newspaper on security issues. According to an exchange with Jim Cusack on Monday 10 April (this was after a commentary in last week's Village on that Sunday Independent article[ which I can't find] ) he stated the article was based on an internal Sinn Féin document, the annual report of the Six County Executive of the party. However, nothing in the document suggested any intention to "stir up unrest". We asked Jim Cusack how the document substantiated his claim that there was a Sinn Féin plan to "stir up" unrest. He refused to answer our question.

He offers not a single piece of evidence or substantiation for this extraordinary claim. However he goes on to write: "Sinn Féin has drawn up a blueprint, seen by this paper. For what is termed 'community safety partnerships'." The article goes on to claim: "Sinn Féin's community service partnerships are being set up to try to ensure that Catholics in the North do not co-operate with the legitimate police groups. They are likely to set up similar operations in the Republic, initially in Co Donegal, as a prelude to trying to spread this 'alternative' policing. Sinn Féin does not recognise the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces".

The community services partnerships are being sponsored by the Northern Ireland Office (website: www.communitysafetyni.gov.uk). Sinn Féin's engagement with them is seen as a prelude to the party's acceptance of the PSNI and to taking its place on the police authority. Sinn Féin has openly recognised An Garda Síochána and has cooperated with it openly in the South.

The document from which Jim Cusack quotes is an annual report of the Six County Executive of Sinn Féin and is the document which he showed to us at Village (see panel, right). Nothing in the document suggests any subversive intent of any sort. It deals solely with positions Sinn Féin might take on a variety of issues and on positions the party representatives on various public bodies.

Jim Cusack goes on to quote from the document (and this conveys its overall flavour): "A clear policy on tackling crime and community safety issues needs to be developed and articulated by our spokespersons, for example, community restorative justice, befriending services for the elderly, youth outreach, road safety awareness and traffic calming initiatives and community-based prevention/intervention programmes in drug, alcohol and solvent abuse."

He follows this up with a final paragraph: "Gardaí believe that Sinn Féin is intent on extending its 'community' policing ideas to the Republic." Again he offers no substantial for this claim, other than the reference to the anonymous Garda source.

Who are the subversives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Nice one Village!

Advertisement