Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set Up Problem

Options
  • 02-04-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

just installed my new mobo Abit IC7 and 3.0ghz cpu into a case from peats powered her up but it wont let me enter the bios it says at the bottom of the page " cpu unworkable please check CPU soft menu" does any know where i should go from here. thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Take the cpu out of the board then take out the the battery and turn on the power for a sec, this should reset the board completly, replace the battery and make sure your CPU is seated and locked in correctly into the motherboard. See if this fix's the prob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭tom thumb

thanks i'll give it a go just one thing when you refer to the battery do you mean the cmos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Yet the CMOS battery on your motherboard. If that doesn't solve the problem for you it could be down to a faulty BIOS chip and you might have to get the board RMA'd. Was the board brought new BTW?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Sounds like somebody had overclocked settings on that board, If a CMOS clear doesnt do it, its a corrupt Bios, You could hot flash it if you wanted, but Peats should have to deal with it

i bought the mobo and cpu on ebay i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ouch!!! Off ebay, please tell me it was from a powerseller or an ebay store. I would never buy a CPU off ebay, you don't know what they could of done to it. It might just be a simple CMOS reset though. Let us know how it goes. Have you got the manual for your mobo? you might just try resetting the CMOS jumper first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Try this.

i took out the cmos battery for about 5 minutes and put it back i'm now getting a reading at the bottom of the page saying "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" it still won't let me enter the bios should i try taking out the battery again and boot up without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

That sounds normal, it should just stay like that untill a user input, it should also say DEL to enter BIOS

Some boards have a jumper to reset the bios, it saves you removing the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

tom thumb wrote:
    i took out the cmos battery for about 5 minutes and put it back i'm now getting a reading at the bottom of the page saying "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" it still won't let me enter the bios should i try taking out the battery again and boot up without it?
    TOM... I got the Max 3 edition... pity i didn't see this post earlier save you some time... Spark is right... you HAVE to enter the bios on changing or putting in new CPU. Thats all !Just hit DEL.. and confirm the settings and reboot.... should work then.

It looks a bit daunting when it won't boot... it doesn't explicitly direct you to go into the BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yea go into the BIOS, then Load Optimised Defaults should do the trick

finally got it thanks everyone for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

conzymaher wrote:
    Sounds like somebody had overclocked settings on that board, If a CMOS clear doesnt do it, its a corrupt Bios, You could hot flash it if you wanted, but Peats should have to deal with it

Why should Peats have to deal with it?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

eo980 wrote:
    Why should Peats have to deal with it?

Because he originally said this:
    just installed my new mobo Abit IC7 and 3.0ghz cpu into a case from peats

Before he said that he bought the Motherboard from Ebay.

I thought he bought it all from Peats:o

Peats are not to blame

GO Peats GO Peats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Heh Heh - Fair enough. I read it differently, that he just put the mobo and cpu into a case.
    Not too worry, I'm just a tad highly strung at the moment. I had the customer from hell tonight, refused to leave the shop even though we were locked up. Twas screaming and ranting at me and the guys, almost missed my train due to the bunt!

Advertisement