Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the premiership race is still on

• 02-04-2006 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

manchester united imo will catch chelsea and become premiership champions for the ninth time. i think chelsea will lose to united and arsenal and draw another one i believe manchester united are determined to win the premiership title and are working harder than chelsea to win there last six games, united have been under this pressure before, so they know how to handle it, chelsea on the other hand wont handle the pressure, and i can see them falling at the final hurdle. which to me shows that team spirit is more important than having a squad of players worth nearly 200 hundred millions and thinking there better than every else, and believing the premiership should be gift wrapped for them. well news just in jose,fergie is gonna get ya.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This'll be in the recycle bin soon enough. What is it with these people who need to have threads of their own for the same posts we've been seeing all weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I really hope that you're right! Good to see Mourinho on the back foot last few weeks in terms of results/performances/media.... can't see it happening though all the same. The team they have is still quality!

All the same, it's nice to see united making a big effort in the 2nd half of the season, as always! Next years title race should be good (if Arsenal can keep Henry and make some buys, and L'pool get their forwards sorted out).

My only concern is that Utd fans will now think our team is good enough when it simply isn't. Still a big hole in the centre of midfield which, unless we buy in the summer, will be exposed in Europe once again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fergie has already stated he intends to buy 2 new midfielders, so what United fans think about it, I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I really hope that you're right! Good to see Mourinho on the back foot last few weeks in terms of results/performances/media.... can't see it happening though all the same. The team they have is still quality!

All the same, it's nice to see united making a big effort in the 2nd half of the season, as always! Next years title race should be good (if Arsenal can keep Henry and make some buys, and L'pool get their forwards sorted out).

My only concern is that Utd fans will now think our team is good enough when it simply isn't. Still a big hole in the centre of midfield which, unless we buy in the summer, will be exposed in Europe once again next year.

yeah that is true but, chelsea midfield is worth nearly 100 million ours maybe 30 if were lukey, just shows ferguson has a way with the players id love to see mourinho a lower league club that would show if he was a good manager or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

ok, let me get this one right, being a liverpool fan and having the blinkers on and all that, sometimes i dont see things the united way...

united are 7 points behind chelsea and according to united fans here, there is a great possibility that chelsea will slip up and united will be the champions

but

if i was to start a thread saying "oh united are only 5 points ahead of liverpool, potentially 8, but united still have to play chelsea and arsenal meaning on paper united have a more difficult close to the season, so liverpool could catch them and finish 2nd!" i would be a crazy liverpool fan starting another liverpool thread on the soccer forum.

the i'd get the abuse and the we won the treble and ole is a legend stuff.

so whats the point of another if and but thread about chelsea dropping points?

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    ok, let me get this one right, being a liverpool fan and having the blinkers on and all that, sometimes i dont see things the united way...

united are 7 points behind chelsea and according to united fans here, there is a great possibility that chelsea will slip up and united will be the champions

but

if i was to start a thread saying "oh united are only 5 points ahead of liverpool, potentially 8, but united still have to play chelsea and arsenal meaning on paper united have a more difficult close to the season, so liverpool could catch them and finish 2nd!" i would be a crazy liverpool fan starting another liverpool thread on the soccer forum.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

el rabitos wrote:

but

well said el rabitos

Liverpool have a very easy run in with the exception of Bolton away.

I'm still gonna go with Chelsea winning by 5pts, Utd 2nd and Liverpool 4pts behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

chiller wrote:
    having a squad of players worth nearly 200 hundred millions

I'm pretty sure Chelsea have spent quite a bit more than that but it always amuses United fans moaning about how much Chelsea have spent. The main difference between their spending and Uniteds is that they have done it in a shorter space of time.

Tim Howard - £2.3m
    Patrice Evra - £5.5m (undisclosed but estimated at that)
    Gabriel Heinze - £6.9m
    Rio Ferdinand - £30m
    Cristiano Ronaldo - £12.25m
    Wayne Rooney - £30m
    Louis Saha - £12.8m
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy - £19m
    Park Ji-Sung - £4m
    Alan Smith - £7m
    Nemanja Vidic - £7m (undisclosed)
    Edwin Van Der Sar - £2m (undisclosed)
    Quinton Fortune - £1.5m
    Mikael Silvestre - £4m

Even my basic maths adds that up to ~£145m on just 14 players... and I haven't even included some of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

footballs a funny old game,thats all i am saying:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think the point has been missed...we're talkin bout potentially winning the league (i think we,Utd, won't and Chelsea will) and not second place.

It's about winning the thing and not coming second....dare is say it....it's what sets Utd apart from the rest! It's v sad that a team would be happy finishing second.

• Advertisement

I miss the days of quiet optimism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

fade2black wrote:
    I miss the days of quiet optimism.

I miss the days there were "United Fans" on here calling for Fergie to be sacked.

On Topic

The premiership is Chelseas to lose but their breathing space is being narrowed by the week. It's still a big ask to catch them but it would not be the first time united achieved the apparently impossible.

Either way united are vastly improved on their early season form and with the prospect of a few good buys in the summer the indications for the future are very positive.

The Muppet wrote:
    I miss the days there were "United Fans" on here calling for Fergie to be sacked.

On Topic

The premiership is Chelseas to lose but their breathing space is being narrowed by the week. It's still a big ask to catch them but it would not be the first time united achieved the apparently impossible.

Either way united are vastly improved on their early season form and with the prospect of a few good buys in the summer the indications for the future are very positive.

I won't get drawn into this with you muppet, my eyes are sore enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

el rabitos wrote:

but

well said!!

Call_me_al wrote:
    well said!!

What's wrong with discussing the possibility of Chelsea being caught. Is that a non starter for the soccer forum or is it just because it's united that have closed the gap.

For sure if Liverpool were in Uniteds position at the moment there would be no shortage of threads here.

The impossible sometimes happens, remember last years Champions league?

The Muppet wrote:
    What's wrong with discussing the possibility of Chelsea being caught. Is that a non starter for the soccer forum or is it just because it's united that have closed the gap.

For sure if Liverpool were in Uniteds position at the moment there would be no shortage of threads here.

The impossible sometimes happens, remember last years Champions league?

Because it's being discussed on a number of threads already muppet.

fade2black wrote:

Where ?

The Weekend Premiership fixtures thread mainly and that's the right home for it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

el rabitos wrote:

but

Of course you're spot on, but if someone wants to make a thread i don't see why they can't, if it gets replies then the thread works

fade2black wrote:

maybe he wants his own thread?

whats the harm?

• Advertisement

This coming from someone who starts a thread everytime he does a wet fart.

All I'm saying lads is that they're is no point in getting carried away with ourselves.

whats the harm?

the harm comes when theres a couple of liverpool threads and we get people crying onto their keyboards because liverpool are taking over the forum.

theres a general news/rumours and disscusions thread that liverpool fans stick to. talking up uniteds dreams can be kept to the man u one, no?

el rabitos wrote:
    the harm comes when theres a couple of liverpool threads and we get people crying onto their keyboards because liverpool are taking over the forum.

theres a general news/rumours and disscusions thread that liverpool fans stick to. talking up uniteds dreams can be kept to the man u one, no?

If you don't like a thread don't look, its like TV channels, don't look at the channels you don't want to but there still nice to have for the times when your bored stupid and have nothing else to do. And everyone likes different channels so....

If you don't like a thread don't look, its like TV channels, don't look at the channels you don't want to but there still nice to have for the times when your bored stupid and have nothing else to do. And everyone likes different channels so....

did u read the part where i mention the people pissing and crying about too many liverpool threads? should these people simply not look at the liverpool threads instead of complaining?

i'm not going to name names or anything, but theres no need for random stupid threads like these. they all just decend into liverpool/man u fighting or chelsea hating. its boring tbh

fade2black wrote:
    The Weekend Premiership fixtures thread mainly and that's the right home for it in my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion but don't expect everyone else to agree with it.

If the chase to close the gap on Chelsea does not merit its own thread what does on the Soccer forum?

As I said earlier if Liverpool were in Uniteds position their supporters would be discussing it in a dedicated thread and the chances of one of their supporters moaning about a thread being created for the topic would be slim to none, and rightly so.

Who is getiing carried away with themselves?

Ah muppet give it a break will ya. Saying crap like "Don't expect everyone else to agree with it" is just your typical fight starting crap. Give it a rest.

fade2black wrote:
    Ah muppet give it a break will ya. Saying crap like "Don't expect everyone else to agree with it" is just your typical fight starting crap. Give it a rest.

I don't share your opinion so I'm picking a fight with you!

What age are you?

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't share your opinion so I'm picking a fight with you!

Is that a question or a statement?

fade2black wrote:
    Is that a question or a statement?

Surely a thread entitled " the premiership race is still on" is a valid one for supporters of all clubs still in with a mathematical chance of winning the prem.

If the topic doesn't interest you don't participate in it. Lets leave it at that and let the thread get back on topic minus the spoiling tactics of a minority.

• Advertisement

Surely a thread entitled " the premiership race is still on" is a valid one for supporters of all clubs still in with a mathematical chance of winning the prem.

are u going to start the "sunderland can still survive" thread or should i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Thats a couple of months late like the "L'pool can win the European Cup twice in a row" thread... (grow up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

united still have a chance to catch chelsea the gap is only 7 points after all thats only 2 wins and a draw if they slip up. its unlikely but it could happen:)

Thats a couple of months late like the "L'pool can win the European Cup twice in a row" thread... (grow up)

u slag off liverpool then tell me to grow up? smrt
    united still have a chance to catch chelsea the gap is only 7 points after all thats only 2 wins and a draw if they slip up. its unlikely but it could happen

so you'd agree uniteds chance of catching chelsea is every bit as good as liverpools chance of finishing above united?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I just want to see Man Utd being =<6 points behind Chelsea going to Stamford Brigde so it'll be a more tense game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

jumpers for goalposts eh ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

chiller wrote:
    manchester united imo will catch chelsea and become premiership champions for the ninth time. i think chelsea will lose to united and arsenal and draw another one i believe manchester united are determined to win the premiership title and are working harder than chelsea to win there last six games, united have been under this pressure before, so they know how to handle it, chelsea on the other hand wont handle the pressure, and i can see them falling at the final hurdle. which to me shows that team spirit is more important than having a squad of players worth nearly 200 hundred millions and thinking there better than every else, and believing the premiership should be gift wrapped for them. well news just in jose,fergie is gonna get ya.

Chelsea dont play Arsenal , they already did the double on Arsenal this season.

And ALL chelsea need to do is win the 3 home games, (and they shoudl beat united at home) and they have won, even if United win all the other 5 games and Chelsea lose their 3 away games, they will have won the league by 1 point.
    do the maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

You do realise that this thread is yet another one which has descended into Man Utd v Liverpool bull****.

If you want to start a thread about how liverpool might catch Man Utd for 2nd place I suggest you go and do that instead of hijacking this one.

As for united catching Chelsea, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I don't see it happening though.

Chelsea's Remaining Fixtures

Sun, 9th H West Ham
    Sat, 15th A Bolton
    Mon, 17th H Everton
    Sat, 29th H Man Utd
    Tue, 2nd A Blackburn
    Sun, 7th A Newcastle

Aside from the united game, it's expected that they win every game. We're basically hoping that they drop points against the likes of Bolton, West Ham and Everton. Which isn't impossible given their current form. I do reckon that they will drop points against one of those three. Were Chelsea to drop points in one of those games, Utd could take first if they manage to win every game until then and then take Chelsea at Stamford bridge.

At this stage it would be either one or two points ahead and Chelsea having a game in hand. Blackburn are no pushovers and it will be Shearer's last game at St. James's Park.

Of course for all of this fantasy stuff to happen, Utd have to win the last six games of the season. Which is far from a foregone conclusion.

Man Utd's remaining fixtures.

Sun, 9th H Arsenal *
    Fri, 14th H Sunderland
    Mon, 17th A Tottenham *
    Sun, 23rd H Middlesbro *
    Sat, 29th A Chelsea *
    Sun, 7th H Charlton

Three tough games there plus one bogey team. It's a very big ask. 14 straight wins in the league would be a ridiculous feat. I don't see us getting through those six games with 18 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

chiller wrote:

There's one major flaw with your opinion. Chelsea have already played, and beaten Arsenal twice this season.
    http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=283652&cpid=8
    http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=283688&cpid=8

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

el rabitos wrote:

but

The difference is form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I for one would prefer manu to win the league over chelsea - despite the petty arguements of (some) of the manu fans here. It would be better for football.

Having said that - Chelsea are no Newcastle. I don't see them likely to crumble, espeically not enough to lost 3 games. ManU might beat them - wouldn't put money on any of the other teams though.

Best of luck to manu though.

• Advertisement

The difference is form.

your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

whats the odds on chelsea to finish trophyless this season? :D might stick a few bob on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Come what may, I think it's pretty encouraging for next season. United, Liverpool and Arsenal are all finishing the season strongly. If they can start strongly next season, it could be a good'un. A 4-way title race would be excellent, we're due something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The point el_rabitos is that the possibilities of Sunderland surviving are many times smaller than the chances of utd. winning the league (all you have to do is check the bookmakers for that), so making the comparison between the two is ridiculous, (hence my 'ridiculous' post about 'pool).

That is not to say that Utd. will win the league, the chances of that happening are still very slim, but at least the run in is interesting, more interesting than a month ago anyway.

Anyway, you seem to get all uppity about this thread, so it may be best for your demeanour if you controlled yourself and stopped reading it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In football anything can happen, but I would seriously doubt it, United now have to play 4th, 5th & 1st in the league, if we come away from them 3 games with nine points then I will be shocked, I expect we may see 5.

Anyway, you seem to get all uppity about this thread, so it may be best for your demeanour if you controlled yourself and stopped reading it.

i'm not uppity, i'm awsome. but thanks for the advice mum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I wouldn't take too much solice in chelsea being closed down, as in for next season, Chelsea will strenghten that squad during the summer and the gap will open up yet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

chiller wrote:

Hi THERE
    Would you care to comment on this now ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

berengar wrote:
    Hi THERE
    Would you care to comment on this now ???

no problem! they still need four points from four and the win against bolton was hardly convincing. if they lose to the pool at old trafford spirts will drop in the chelsea camp. i still think the title race is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

chiller wrote:
    no problem! they still need four points from four and the win against bolton was hardly convincing. if they lose to the pool at old trafford spirts will drop in the chelsea camp. i still think the title race is on

Did you even watch the Chelsea game yesterday?

UNITED weren't convincing by only managing a draw against the most woeful team in Premiership history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement