Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the premiership race is still on

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the race is still on in the sense that it's not over yet, whether we can win it or not, it would take a complete chelsea collapse.
    They would pretty much have to lose 3 games and draw one.
    Obviously it's possible, but unlikely.

All i wanted to do was push them until the end of the season, just to let them know for next season. I think we've done that, so I want to keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

When United closed the gap to 7 points it was still hope over expectation (well, maybe except for a few really optimistic fans) but it still felt good to be in the picture again. Most United fans had written off this season by Christmas, I think most of us have started to forget about it and look forward to next season, so the sudden run of form and getting close to Chelsea was a bonus. If nothing else, it's a psychological boost for next season.
    Even though Chelsea have wrapped up the title, the 9-10 game winning run certainly wasn't in vain. Liverpool have come into a run of their own. United in the last two seasons have had second place and let it slip in the last couple of months. If they had done again this season, Liverpool would have been right there to jump into 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

When United closed the gap to 7 points it was still hope over expectation (well, maybe except for a few really optimistic fans) but it still felt good to be in the picture again. Most United fans had written off this season by Christmas, I think most of us have started to forget about it and look forward to next season, so the sudden run of form and getting close to Chelsea was a bonus. If nothing else, it's a psychological boost for next season.
    Even though Chelsea have wrapped up the title, the 9-10 game winning run certainly wasn't in vain. Liverpool have come into a run of their own. United in the last two seasons have had second place and let it slip in the last couple of months. If they had done again this season, Liverpool would have been right there to jump into 2nd.

Very true. And while most other fans are jumping down United's throat at the moment, the whole thing wasn't pointless at all... it showed that the Premiership is still contestable, and that teams such as United should just focus on their own form - forget about Chelsea - play to the best of their ability, and they'll still have a chance. That's a fairly important message for all teams - and United proved (despite ultimately falling) that it could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

lol uniteds fans are the most optimistic bunch i've ever know, go down paddy power i bet you'll get great odds on the 8 times champs becoming 9, more chance of a rocking horse shíting IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Being honest I don't want united to win the league, so i'm happy that's looking less likely now - but I'm delighted that they made the run-in interesting, Liverpool couldn't manage to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its more of a case that the race for second is still on at this stage. Chelsea have it won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its more of a case that the race for second is still on at this stage. Chelsea have it won.
    Yep, at this stage it's more likely Liverpool will catch United then United catching Chelsea. Two tough trips to London in their next two games will be key as to whether they get caught.

Tottenham Man. United 17 Apr 12:45
    Chelsea Man. United 29 Apr 12:30
    Man. United Middlesbrough 1 May 20:00
    Man. United Charlton 7 May 15:00

West Ham Liverpool 26 Apr 19:45
    Liverpool Aston Villa 29 Apr 15:00
    Portsmouth Liverpool 7 May 15:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

chiller wrote:
    no problem! they still need four points from four and the win against bolton was hardly convincing. if they lose to the pool at old trafford spirts will drop in the chelsea camp. i still think the title race is on

Delussional !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

no its called supporting my team. they need a point from 3 matches it could happen they lose all three united newcastle and blackburn hardly easy in fairness. and united have spurs charlton and middlesbrough should be 9 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

nah its called being delusional , do you really think the geordies and blackbun can take points from Chelsea ? is this the same newcastle that chelsea put 3 past and the same Blackburn that conceded 4 at stamford bridge, 2 teams with nothing at all to play for now, no shearer either. Not to mention Man USA not having a particularly brilliant record against the blues in recent years.

It would be nice to retain the title by beating MAn u at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thats not supporting your team. Thats being delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

growler wrote:
    nah its called being delusional , do you really think the geordies and blackbun can take points from Chelsea ? is this the same newcastle that chelsea put 3 past and the same Blackburn that conceded 4 at stamford bridge, 2 teams with nothing at all to play for now, no shearer either. Not to mention Man USA not having a particularly brilliant record against the blues in recent years.

It would be nice to retain the title by beating MAn u at home.
    Man U beat them already this season. Blackburn may be in with a shout of CL if Arsenal and spurs draw nect weekend. Newcastle haven't much to play for but neither did Sunderland. Saying that United have no chance of winning, but I'd like to see it drawn out as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Blackburn are not going to get a CL spot just as United are not going to get the league. It is not supporting your team its being delusional!

Chelsea will beat both blackburn and newcastle and in my opinion United as well. Remember Chelsea only need a point from 3 games. All they need to do is score one and lock the game down. They are the best in the country by far at doing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats not supporting your team. Thats being delusional.

I would say it is over optimistic rather than delusional. I don't believe Chelsea will slip up but they could so it is no delusional to say so.

United fans are happy enough to see that the team is playing well now and if the team can reproduce that form for the whole of next season they will be thre or ther abouts to win the title at the end of the season.

On the Subject of delusional fans a look back at the original thread of a couple of months ago for user predictions as to how the final 4 would finish is a very funny read. Some of then hadn't united finishing in the top 4 even. I would some of them were delusional, either that or a some of the armchair pundits here are the worst football pundits on the planet.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Muppet wrote:
    I would some of them were delusional, either that or a some of the armchair pundits here are the worst football pundits on the planet.;)

Yes there are a few bad armchair pundits here, amongst the worst on the planet as you say, just think back to the champions league final thread muppet (i believe that you have a few posts in there oh supreme armchair pundit ;)). As for united not being top four, there were united supporters calling for fergies head mid season due to how poor they were doing, they have put a good run together and fair play to them athough a great performance against Sunderland put paid to that and really to their championship credentials. If they had managed to beat the worst team in the premiership it could have been very different a bit more pressure on Chelsea and they could have cracked. If Man U continued as they were mid season then it was far from delusional to suggest that they would finish outside the top four, just as you suggest that it is far from delusional to say that Man U can win the premiership.

• Advertisement

Yes there are a few bad armchair pundits here, amongst the worst on the planet as you say, just think back to the champions league final thread muppet (i believe that you have a few posts in there oh supreme armchair pundit ;)). .

LOL I,m surprised at you fishy as I believe you are wrong , you should know that I very seldom comment before a game and I certainly never rubbish any teams chances. I'm too long in the tooth to believe in forgone conclusions where football is concerned.:p
    As for united not being top four, there were united supporters calling for fergies head mid season due to how poor they were doing, they have put a good run together and fair play to them athough a great performance against Sunderland put paid to that and really to their championship credentials. If they had managed to beat the worst team in the premiership it could have been very different a bit more pressure on Chelsea and they could have cracked. If Man U continued as they were mid season then it was far from delusional to suggest that they would finish outside the top four, just as you suggest that it is far from delusional to say that Man U can win the premiership.

Supporters,? is that not a contadiction in terms. True there were a few calling for Fergies head when United were going through a bad patch but Uniteds apparent poor form was blown out of porportion as usual, as I pointed out at the time there were and still are other top teams in worse position than ourselves and no calls for their managers head. Obviously the Abu's are right when they claim United have more their fair share of fair weather supporters. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

utd this utd that,is there only one utd in England ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The Muppet wrote:
    LOL I,m surprised at you fishy as I believe you are wrong , you should know that I very seldom comment before a game and I certainly never rubbish any teams chances. I'm too long in the tooth to believe in forgone conclusions where football is concerned.:p

And yet...

http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2805453&postcount=197
    http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2805481&postcount=206

Looks there like you predicted some foregone conclusions as far as I can tell and that I was not wrong anyway as you suggest above, moving on....

There were far more than a few calling for Fergies head and not only on this forum, there was all sorts of uproar on the United forums and on 606 etc. United will have the monopoly on fair weather fans for some time to come as they have had the fairest of weather for such a long time and in fact alot of Man U fans have not had the experience of not winning for any extended period of time.

A large majority of the liverpool fans reamining now are not of the fair weather variety as really there has been damn all over the last 15 or so years to get hugely excited about, couple of trophies and a CL last season (which was amazing and probably spawned a whole new set of fair weather fans) but we have gotten used to not winning. There will be many new chelsea fans coming through too as they are now the most succesful club and you can bet that alot of Blackburn fans have flown the coop since their only success and subsequent relegation. That is the nature of some people though, not getting all of the success that they are used to, as with Man U and Arsenal, then go and "Support" a more succesful team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Two classic pre-nil-nil-with-Sunderland Fergie quotes, go down well with a glass of hindsight:

"There won't be anything taken for granted but, frankly, I think we are playing too well to slip up. We're the form team in the league and the area in which we must now pay attention is improving our goal difference. At the moment we are eight goals behind Chelsea, so we might have to do something about that"

"We are over the biggest hurdle with our win over Arsenal and if we do our job against Sunderland we will go four points behind Chelsea and we all know that Bolton is not an easy place for them to go to. We were the first team to score two goals at the Reebok this season and we had to play really well to get that type of result. So I'm hopeful, really hopeful, that Bolton can do us a turn. It's a difficult game for Chelsea and people will probably be half expecting it to be a draw. If that happens, or if Bolton win, it will be a massive turnaround in the championship race and when we go to Stamford Bridge it will be the league decider."

Lets hope so!

Thanks to Mediawatch for pointing these out!

And yet...

http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2805453&postcount=197
    http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2805481&postcount=206

Looks there like you predicted some foregone conclusions as far as I can tell and that I was not wrong anyway as you suggest above, moving on.....

Both those posts were made during the game and were comments on what was actually happeniong /had happened. They were by no means derogatory to Liverpool. If you want I can quote similar posts from liverpool fans made at the same time. As I stated earlier I made no predictions about last years Champions league final. Predictions would have been made before Kickoff after that it's comment. Here the complete thread in context.

http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2805481#post2805481

There were far more than a few calling for Fergies head and not only on this forum, there was all sorts of uproar on the United forums and on 606 etc. United will have the monopoly on fair weather fans for some time to come as they have had the fairest of weather for such a long time and in fact alot of Man U fans have not had the experience of not winning for any extended period of time.

A large majority of the liverpool fans reamining now are not of the fair weather variety as really there has been damn all over the last 15 or so years to get hugely excited about, couple of trophies and a CL last season (which was amazing and probably spawned a whole new set of fair weather fans) but we have gotten used to not winning. There will be many new chelsea fans coming through too as they are now the most succesful club and you can bet that alot of Blackburn fans have flown the coop since their only success and subsequent relegation. That is the nature of some people though, not getting all of the success that they are used to, as with Man U and Arsenal, then go and "Support" a more succesful team.

There was a minority calling for Fergies head, I would agree they would mostly be the younger fans who do not remember the barren years that preceded Fergie.

I agree with the rest of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fergie wrote:
    "We were the first team to score two goals at the Reebok this season"

The Bolton vs Liverpool match finished 2-2.

THe racei s over, might aswell give chelsea the trophy now. But i am sure chelsea fans will prefer to be crowned champions on the day they play united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Of course we would Chucky there would be nothing more glorious.

Advertisement