Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney draught

Options
  • 02-04-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a chimney draught problem in that the wind blows down and into the sitting room. That's not so bad until the fire is lit and we end up with a room full of smoke!

Is there anything that can be fitted like a one way system of some sort to stop this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi James M,

I like to know why there is a downdraught before I try to fix it sometimes it can be as simple as a damaged chimney pot catching the wind instead of it blowing across the top causing the up draught.

Possibly the best solution I have found is the "H" type cowl, I have used it to stop the worst down draughts.

I have found that many of the other types even spinning cowls fail if the chimney has been built even slightly out of the guide lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Cheers Pete - ever the reliable.

The house is only a couple of years old so damage or wear shouldn't be an issue, although it may have been built off spec.

I presume I can pick cowls up in a buildings suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi crosstownk,

A very good link with a lot of answers to some of the problems found with chimneys and some great tests that any home owner can try.

Hi Jim,

If the answer isn't in the link give me a call after 11am tomorrow, tell em who you are to make sure I get to take your call ;)

Advertisement