Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Bike Theft Prevention System!

• 02-04-2006 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see this in Ireland. It makes absolute sense.....

http://www.lock2lock.co.uk/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

In theory it seems like a great idea. In an ideal world it would work. You are forgetting the "muppet" element, ie: people who don't know how the scheme works and they lock their bike to yours. What do you do then ??. I can see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

K-TRIC wrote:
    In theory it seems like a great idea. In an ideal world it would work. You are forgetting the "muppet" element, ie: people who don't know how the scheme works and they lock their bike to yours. What do you do then ??. I can see that happening.
    Me too, I suppose if they have the sticker you would assume they'd read the rules of the scheme but there's always the muppet element as you say. Still though, I can think of loads of places this would work (Liffey Valley and Blanch Shopping centres for starters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

murphaph wrote:
    Me too, I suppose if they have the sticker you would assume they'd read the rules of the scheme but there's always the muppet element as you say. Still though, I can think of loads of places this would work (Liffey Valley and Blanch Shopping centres for starters).

Are you saying that some "muppet" will show up with a big chain and lock it through your bike rather than through the other locks on the ground? In that case I can see it being a problem, but if all the locks are interlinked on the ground then there is no problem because your lock will just unhook out of it.

Anyway, I doubt AON or CN will know anything about it to give an insurance reduction on it.

I'd give it a go anyway.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Why do we need stickers?

I've done this a couple of times, parked at the top of grafton st.
    Needless to say the other rider was able to "figure it out" and was gone when I got back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

bbbbb wrote:
    Why do we need stickers?

I've done this a couple of times, parked at the top of grafton st.
    Needless to say the other rider was able to "figure it out" and was gone when I got back.

Just my 2 cents but if someone locked their chain to mine without my concent I would be well p!ssed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't have a problem with someone locking their chain to mine.

The scheme would fall down over here because of the simple problem of numbers. Quite often, someone is going to be the only motorbike parked in a certain place. Say you arrived late, parked between two bikes and interlocked your chain to both of theirs. 6 hours later, they've gone, and your bike is sitting there with a lock through the back wheel and nothing else. Locking your bike to something solid *and* interlocking with someone else's would be the ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

K-TRIC wrote:
    Just my 2 cents but if someone locked their chain to mine without my concent I would be well p!ssed off.

But the whole point is that if someone locked their chane through yours, all you have to do is unlock your chain and loop it through theirs. It is not that complicated.

I think Seamus' point is a good one about locking to everyone else and to something solid.

I had another thought about this this morning:

The general consensus seems to be that this is ok unless some "muppet" locks their bike to your bike rather than to your lock.
    Personally, I have never known this to happen as people, even muppets, realise that they shouldn't lock their bike to someone else's bike.
    Even if they did, what you do is you unlock one of your locks and lock it to their bike, stick a postit on their windscreen or whatever and bollock the hell out of them when they come back. They would only do it once.

Of course, the thing to remember is never to leave your bike "only" locked to them as in the old "steal a bicycle by putting your own chain around it" trick.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think some peeps are missing the point slightly. The initiative is only for when there's nothing solid to lock your bike to. The notion of locking them in a chain and then to something solid is flawed because if the first guy in the chain comes back and leaves then the bikes are once again on their own. It's not foolproof this initiative but it makes thieving bikes that bit more difficult. A couple of blokes lifting a bike can look ok to passers by (broken down bike being picked up by mechanic etc.) but two o more bikes locked together being lifted would look suspicious to even the most trusting soul. I'd have no problem if someone locked their bike to mine. The problem is that some owners (like K-TRIC) would not be pleased if done without consent-hence the stickers to say "go ahead, I don't mind".

Advertisement