Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my Golf

Options
  • 02-04-2006 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm gonna sell my car privately. Any advice?
    I don't want a load of tyre kickers coming around and wasting my time.
    I'm gonna advertise on CarZone.ie and buy and sell. Any other (cheap) suggestions?

Thanks,

Ex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

pick maybe 3 advertising mediums and stick to them you will get loads of phonecalls from other mags and papers and dodgy blokes offering to sell your car at a price dont go near them stick to your original 3 cause one advertisment will usuall last 3 editions.
    dunno where you can get figures for sale of newspapers or mags but would be good if you could use the most popular
    also what about community notice boards free of charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

thanks for the replies lads.

I've just put it on Buy & Sell and Carzone. If I get nothing from those two I'll put it on CBG as well.

Gonna stick an ad in my local Supervalu & Tesco as well.

Does it look tacky to have a for sale sign in the window of the car? All the boy racers have them and I want no association with them whatsoever.

Must check the evening echo as well, I think they might do free ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Is it a diesel golf by any chance?

no, it's a petrol 1.6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Interested, will you be posting the details in FS Motors here?
    I am looking for a 1.6 five door '98-'00 with resonable mileage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

My advice would be to price it properly. Some of the prices I see people advertising their cars for make me laugh.

Trawl through CBG, Carzone, B&S, the papers, Autotrader etc. and get an average price for your car, both private sales and trader sales. Aim somewhere just under average assuming it's in good shape with reasonable mileage - obviously any major bodywork problems or high mileage will affect the value.

It won't sell if over-priced. Might be worth getting an approx. trade-in value from a few garages, and aiming to sell it somewhere between the trade-in value you get and what you see similar cars on the forecourt for.

Also prepare it properly - within reason. I've seen photos of cars on Carzone etc. that are filthy. People will automatically skip over dirty cars, even if they are in great shape. Clean it inside and out, make it as desireable as possible. Make it seem like a new car when people take it for a test drive, take out all your "stuff" - CDs, coins, bits & pieces etc. - also means there's less to rattle. Make it as much like a new car as possible.

Sometimes spending just a few Euros on a fresh set of car mats, or a new set of wheel trims etc. can help - not a huge investment but can "freshen" the car up again!!!

Thanks again for your posts lads.

Redman, I won't be advertising it in FS Motors for a couple of weeks. But I will pm you the link to the ad on Carzone if you like. I don't want to start a discussion here in this thread on selling it to someone, but I would be willing to talk via PM.

PauloMN: I know what you mean. I've done a good bit of trawling to check the prices and I think I've got the price right for the year, condition (perfect) and mileage (low). In relation to the presentation of the car. I keep the car very clean anyway, and with a minimum of "stuff" and clutter. I stuck a load of photos on the ad just after I had washed it and cleaned it inside out so it looks quite good (I think anyway).

Good advice on the mats though, didn't think of that. I think I'll pick up a new set today from the motor factors. The wheel covers are in decent nick so I won't bother replacing them. Might get a can of "back to black" for the tyres as well.

Thanks again.

Ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Indeed. How did you know?

• Advertisement

PM Sent, Very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Only 2 1.6 petrol Golfs on private sale in Cork.
    One of them has "Loads of Pics"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thats nice, and you got an arm rest too :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

exactiv wrote:

Does it look tacky to have a for sale sign in the window of the car? All the boy racers have them and I want no association with them whatsoever.

I don't think it looks tacky. and defo will get interest.

I put a for sale sign on my car window and got 2 calls within a few hours!!

Well worth it IMO

prospect wrote:
    Only 2 1.6 petrol Golfs on private sale in Cork.
    One of them has "Loads of Pics"

;)

Ahh, yes. That'd kinda make it stand out ;)

mik_da_man wrote:
    I don't think it looks tacky. and defo will get interest.

I put a for sale sign on my car window and got 2 calls within a few hours!!

Well worth it IMO

I'll be puttin one of those up so. If it generates more interest then that sounds good to me ;)
    Hal1 wrote:
    Thats nice, and you got an arm rest too :P
    Comes with a steering wheel as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

exactiv wrote:
    Ahh, yes. That'd kinda make it stand out ;)

I'll be puttin one of those up so. If it generates more interest then that sounds good to me ;)

Comes with a steering wheel as well :p

It might also be worth taking the roof rack off the car. Imo it doesn't make the car look good. First impression could put some people off. My 2cent anyway.

Yeah. I was thinking I should take it off for the photos. But it was too much hassle and I need it in the next few weeks to transport some surfboards.

Thanks though ;)

Based on the photos and the car/details matching you comments on it, I am prepared to offer €7,500 for it.

Cash Buyer.

Difficulty is I am unlikely to get to Cork over the next two weeks.

Redman

Hi Redman,

I just replied to your pm now. Thanks for the offer as well.

Advertisement